Friends are studying with the JW's

by LouBelle 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I was studying spanish a little while ago - had to stop because of finances but became friends with the spanish teacher and we keep in touch, see each other now and again. I just got a message from him:

"Hola Louise, I would like to talk to you about 2 things, about the JWs, as we are following this fatih, we find it interesting, we haven't been baptised yet, I want to make sure before making a mistake and the other thing that Allan and I wold like to talk about is starting your own business....."

I'm not so worried about starting my own business bit - though of course interested....What is more worrying is they have been studying with the witnesses.....I have asked him to contact me asap to make arrangements to meet for coffee so we can speak about TTATT - I have 29 years experience in that faith....

A little bit of preparation will be crucial - the most important things to highlight the flaws in this religion (opinions would be awesome)

1) 1914 doctrine

2) generation doctrine

3) 607 doctrine

4) could highlight on 1975 Armegeddon / 1925 resurrection of the saints but they may not even know of that stuff

5) UN scandle - a brief tour on how could the JW be associated with the most disgusting thing in Jahs' eyes....

Anything else would be appreciated.

• zeb
    zeb

child abuse.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

LouBelle, Just a note about your friend . Is it possible he is thinking of "joining" JW's as a way of making new friends and getting more paying customers?

He needs to know he will only be making conditional friendships, and they don't care about his business plans either.

Just Lois

PS I would think the pedophilia problem, would stop any thinking new person in their tracts, unless they themselves were a pedophile.

• happy@last
    happy@last

The history of the society they are looking into also, perhaps familiarise yourself with some of that also, great resource is http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/index.html

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I don't know your story in or out of the JWs but:

Just give him your personal journey and experience and the result of the research you have done, that you now know it is a cult.

Give the defining factors of why it is a cult (BITE model), mention critical thinking skills and how you (i assume) didn't have any and were not taught any so your bullshit detection was poor and so you were suckered into baptism without doing sufficient research, ...yet were brainwashed into thinking the little bit of research you had done only using WTS approved and written materials somehow constituted an unbiased and fully cognisant decision as a teenager (again assuming typical).

That's based on mine at any rate LOL

• TheListener
    TheListener

Lou Belle,

My suggestion is that you be honest, kind and calm. Perhaps commending your friends on their desire to learn more about God (even if you don't necessarily agree).

I have found that respectfully discussing the witness beliefs with non-believers or potential believers works better than being emotionally charged and upset.

Good luck.

• Emery
    Emery

You can add a few more things to that list:

1919 - Faithful and Discreet slave, belief in pyramids, false prophesies, all the cooky stuff they believed in when Christ supposedly chose them.

Inconsistency with medical advice - blood, blood fractions, organ transplants (cannabilism).

Information control - discouraging college, researching information, being objective, demonizing information not originating from the WT.

Works vs Grace - all the scriptures in the bible showing how no amount of works determine righteousness.

Schedule - service, meeting attendence, conventions, kingdom hall builds, cleanings, etc.

Judgmentalism - being judged for petty things (beards), car group gossip, lack of love.

I would just really focus on their claims to authority, that normally shakes up most non-jws i talk to. They always end up telling me how they see its a cult after I explain 1919 and disfellowshipping.

• JAFO
    JAFO

The truth about shunning.. you can bet they won't have heard a word about that.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Why does the "true religion" secretly blind its followers to the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?

• Dagney
    Dagney

I would try to find out what is drawing them to the JW's and address that. If appropriate, I would tell anyone through my studies you find falsehoods/untruths, changes, coverups in all religions. What matters is what they do about it. And most important, as a baptized JW, for whatever reason, if they question or change their mind about anything, they will be shunned and expelled. Friends will be required to ignore you and treat you like you are dead, just because you question. Ask if that is a reasonable, healthy way to live?

Good luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit