The Bible---Have You Watched It On The History Channel?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

EP's approach to debating is similar to a drive-by shooting where he misses all his targets but speeds away with satisfaction thinking he's a bad-ass gangster.

It amuses me when people attempt to insult me by saying false things. It never works and it shows me how awesome I am doing that people have to go that route to desperately try to score a point.

• tec
    tec

EP / TEC take it to PM

Okay.

I think we're done though.

Peace,

tammy

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I'm right, you're wrong, thank you, we're through. Have a pleasant day, I've got better things to do.

• mP
    mP

Im not sure which series your referring too, but the ones ive seen never tell you more of hte real history in the Bible. Like how many of the stories are rewrites of pagan myths. Eg Noah, Samson etc.

• cog_survivor
    cog_survivor

I've been watching it in bits and pieces. I rather like it but I don't expect accuracy. It's rather like watching a movie then going to read the book. Nine times out of ten the book contains a lot of stuff left out. But reading the book after seeing the film can give you a pretty good plot outline.

No matter how you look at the Bible (historically, culturally, spiritually) it is an incredibly rich mine for stories about human beings at a certain time in our history and how they perceived the divine.

Moses is definitely not Charleton Heston. He looks a lot like a smelly goat herder. I also thought it rather clever how the genesis story was not re-enacted but presented as a story that Noah told his family in the ark.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Everyone has their own take on the bible. Why is it surprising that this film maker does to? I would have been amazed if everyone who believes in god liked it and agreed on everything. They don't normally. At most they agree to disagree.

NO movie can be made about the bible that everyone would agree on. The bible is too open to interpretation.

I hope the series comes here...I want to see the samurai...LOL

• wezz
    wezz

"EP's approach to debating is similar to a drive-by shooting where he misses all his targets but speeds away with satisfaction thinking he's a bad-ass gangster."

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

I haven't seen the program but I'd wanted to check it out to see how accurate it is. Haven't even seen anything on the History Channel in so long..

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was not talking about what the angels looked like.

An angel did not come down and 'samurai' through the men of Sodom to help Lot escape, as the show depicts.

The entire account of just how God destroyed Sodom is in three verses of Genesis.

19:13 For we will destroy this place , because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.

19:24 Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
    19:25 And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground.

In vs. 13 two "men" (described for the Genesis reader as angels, but appearing as men to Lot) declared that they were going to destroy the city. Vs. 24 and 25 say that the Lord overthrew the cities.
    So, what's a movie director to do with this? The two angels are involved somehow. I suppose someone will be unhappy with any chosen representation of how Sodom is destroyed. So, why not give the angels Samurai superpowers? That will upset viewers a lot less than giving them hand grenades or Star Trek phasers, both being potentially as true as anything else.

The first words on the screen for this production are:

"This program is an adaptation of Bible Stories. It endeavors to stay true to the spirit of the book."

That implies that they will add to the story to adapt for what is missing, and morph the facts a bit while staying "true" to what they believe was the intent of the way it was told.

If you don't take a bit of artistic (or "dramatic") license, the story is uninteresting. To just stick to the literal written word would make each part seem incomplete. No matter what, someone will be upset at what is portrayed.

Really, for any follower of Johashua Melkizadek to complain about anyone else taking artisic license, I just cannot figure.

• blondie
    blondie

I noticed they left out the part when Lot offered his daughters to be raped by the mob and how his daughters got him drunk and had sex with Lot and managed to get pregnant the first time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit