My chat with an Elder about the UN thing! Help!

by awakening 51 Replies latest jw friends

• awakening
    awakening

Well it was a very long discussion. The elder knew nothing about the scandal, but he stated that he had no issue with it since when the case was brought to light, the society acted immediately to right their course. In fact he thought it was a sign that that the organisation was indeed the "truth". He felt that someone at the branch may have made a mistake and we dont know the details of how this will have been dealt with. We should however beleive that it will have been dealt with and the society acted in the correct manner when it was pointed out!

How would you respond? I know that all the elders will now be aware of my doubts so I will be sure to have follow up dicussions, he even offered my wife and I to join him and his wife in family study since i am spiritualy weak and Satan knows when to throw these tests of faith at us!

Help!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

They cannot unknowingly sign anything as the UN does stipulate very clearly whether an NGO or just for research purposes (DPI) that you have to support the UN charter....which means that the JW's agreed to that when they signed....

Plus it wasn't just for a month or too - it was for a number of years.

This is the disgusting thing that stands in a holy place - why would you want to be involved in it in any manner - how do you make a mistake like that.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“How would you respond?”

There’s paperwork that had to be completed and filed by Watchtower to be registered with the UN as an NGO within its system. Invite the elder to ask Watchtower to send him copies of this paperwork. If the episode is innocent they should have no problem sending those copies right away. Right? Tell him that seeing this paperwork will go long way toward relieving your concern.

Guess what you elder friend will discover when asking Watchtower for paperwork of this supposed innocent incident?

Marvin Shilmer

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Unfortunately if this elder "wants" to believe it is the truth nothing you say is likely to make a difference, especially if you continue to criticise in any way his beloved Watchtower society.

He needs to do his own research and the only way he will do this is if you ask him questions he doesn't have a fully prepared JW approved response for it.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

A mistake at headquarter? Then, why the heck did the society send representatives to UN-conferences (as NGO) for years and years? Didn't they see the UN-logo on the invitations? This is not trustworthy at all. They joined the DPI for the benefit of of beeing a recognized NGO by the UN.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    The elder knew nothing about the scandal,

There's your first clue.

but he stated that he had no issue with it

Of course he doesn't. It would wreck his world if he were to wake up.

since when the case was brought to light, the society acted immediately to right their course.

That's his confirmation bias. If he knew nothing about it then how can he make such assumptions?

In fact he thought it was a sign that that the organisation was indeed the "truth".

He felt that someone at the branch may have made a mistake and we dont know the details of how this will have been dealt with.

There are plenty of threads on this site that totally destroy such a GB protecting bit of mental gymnastics.

We should however believe that it will have been dealt with and the society acted in the correct manner when it was pointed out!

Confirmation bias again. He is deluded and under mind control therefore is unable to see reality.

How would you respond?

I wouldn't.

He's protecting his delusion.

You might however, have a butchers hook at the other threads for full information in case you decide to hang onto this one

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Ask him if he knows what an OSCE is and why the jws send reps to meetups. From JWfacts:

"With 56 States from Europe, Central Asia and North America, the OSCE is the world's largest regional security organization. It offers a forum for political negotiations and decision-making in the fields of early warning, conflict prevention, crisis management and post-conflict rehabilitation, and puts the political will of its participating States into practice through its unique network of field missions.

"The OSCE has a comprehensive approach to security that encompasses politico-military, economic and environmental, and human aspects." (osce.org/who 6th Oct 2012)

The OSCE is closely aligned with the United Nations.

The OSCE recognizes that the United Nations Security Council bears primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. Thus, the United Nations is the OSCE's primary partner organization. (osce.org/ec/43240)

Me thinks they dilly dally with the politics too much!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Many of the facts about the Watchtower - U.N. relationship are available here: http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/united_nations.html

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

It may help you to understand his thought process by reading a bit about "confirmation bias" - Wikipedia has a good overview.

Those of us who spent a number of years in or were raised as a JW use this thought filter all of the time.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What amelia ashton, punkofnice and others said. I would suggest, since he has never heard of this before, that he do some research on his own before you talk about it again. You might hint that the UN site itself has a letter about the matter. He has to do some thinking on his own to break out of his programmed responses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit