THIS NEEDS ITS OWN THREAD:: TODAY's WT Paragraph 16

by Lied2NoMore 72 Replies latest jw friends

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I think all we really need to know is if there is coroborating evidence that his statement which is oft quoted here regarding the fire, is accurate or not. Any Roman historians in the building?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ok, while the jury is still out on the accuracy of Mr. Mannix account of early Christians in reference to the "pinch of salt" test, I think we can all agree that his book is clearly NOT a scholarly work.

The WTBTS quote mines whenever and wherever it suits their needs and tweaks those quotes for the same self-serving purpose. A couple of weeks ago they quoted a "professor" and failed to mention that he is a theologian.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think we can all agree that his book is clearly NOT a scholarly work.

Yes, and really, if his passage about Christians was based on a scholarly work, then the Society should have been quoting the original work, not the novel writer's derivative of it. So the Writing Department has definitely made some kind of mistake here; how large it is remains to be seen.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

I like all the discussion. Isn't it nice to have open and free dialogue without fear of WT labeling any of us apostate and DF-ing us?

That said, until I get this book in hand and read it, for sure it can be said book was written to sensationalize gory details of Rome. It also can be said author did NOT eyewitness the events he wrote about. So there must be references. As said, why is WT using a book like this when they would condemn anyone who went to see "Gladiator" or "Passion of the Christ" or even asking Ridley Scott or Mel Gibson to be a credible source of historical accuracy to be used in WT publication?

They made a statement of fact in paragraph 16 and used a gory novel to support the statement of fact. There has to be some reference to support statement used. I will dig until I find the answer but WT was stupid to grab a snippet like that to use in a study article. Or they just think no one will question anything they say or do.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Lied2NoMore: Isn't it nice to have open and free dialogue without fear of WT labeling any of us apostate and DF-ing us?

Yes it is nice " to have open and free dialogue without fear," but the WT would most definitely label us as apostates if they knew.

Lied2NoMore: ... why is WT using a book like this when they would condemn anyone who went to see "Gladiator" or "Passion of the Christ" ...?

Because the rules don't apply to them, only everyone else.

Lied2NoMore: ... they just think no one will question anything they say or do.

Yes. That is exactly what they think, that is of course no one except us "apostates."

• sir82
    sir82

Actually this quote is nothing new. It is also found in the Insight book under "Incense"

http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/pc/r1/lp-e/1200004776/4822/0

The Christadelphians think highly of the author as well:

http://www.thechristadelphians.org/htm/articles/Christianity/Christianity_01.htm

So basically, this is just exhibit #13,587 of the mounting evidence that "the WT writing dept. is just friggin' lazy".

Somebody dug up the quote 25 years ago to include in the Insight Book, and Joe Dipwit the WT writer of this 2013 article did "heavy research" to find it in the Insight Book.

I don't have one handy, but I'd bet you a donut that the same quote was in the old "Aid to Bible Understanding" book. I'd bet this quote has been floating in and out of WT literature for the past 40 years.

• sir82
    sir82

Double post

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I have requested that the library network send their copy to my local branch. I will have it on Friday. Maybe someone else can get it sooner?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Judging by the quotes from suavojr, compared to Ancient Rome, we are living in an era of peace and calm. JWs sure aren't worried about getting thrown to the lions. All the WT nonsense about these being terrible last days, clearly haven't read history. Sadly, there are people today that are going hungry, but the greater health problem today is resulting from obesity, not famine.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

As other have mentioned and in all fairness, historical fiction is generally based on events sorrounding the era and way of life of the time. Characters are usually fictional-but the setting is for the most part true to the events of the period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit