THIS NEEDS ITS OWN THREAD:: TODAY's WT Paragraph 16

by Lied2NoMore 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

HERE IS WHAT GOT MY SPIDEY SENSES TINGLING: Paragraph 16, Reference to Daniel P Mannix book, was wondering if his statement was mis-quoted so I did my research.......but was even MORE shocked when I saw this:

FROM AMAZON DOT COM REVIEWS...............

Probably the most provocative work of historical fiction published this century,"Those Who Are About To Die" is pure Mannix at his best. A uncensured exploration of what likely took place in the circuses of ancient Rome. Filled with all the bloodshed, sadism, torture, sex and beastiality that Mannix could reasonably document. Just as fascinating today as when it became a cult classic thirty years ago. Mannix is the only author brave enough to make a career out of documenting man at his most inhuman. Hard to believe he also wrote the story for Disney's "The Fox and the Hound"! If you liked "Caligula" you'll love "Those Who Are About To Die"! But don't forget to follow-up with his "The History of Torture", and "The Hell Fire Club" if you can find a copy. <<EMPHASIS MINE>>

2 things: I mean really??? What the Fu*K are they doing trying to quote a fictional tale as if it REALLY happened?

ALSO: Who at WTBTS is so sadistic so as to read this novel for research or entertainment????

W.....T.......F.....???????

ALSO...cult classic???? Makes sense WT uses it in their publication

O M G!!!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

From Blondie's comments:

16, 17. Some early followers of Christ faced

what test of faith, and how does this compare

with the experience of certain Christians in our

day?

16 Like Jesus, early Christians courageously rendered worship only to Jehovah. (Matt. 4:8-10) They refused to burn incense in honor of the Roman emperor. (See picture.) “Very few of the Christians recanted,” wrote Daniel P. Mannix, “although an altar with a fire burning on it was generally kept in the arena for their convenience. All a prisoner had to do was scatter a pinch of incense on the flame and he was given a Certificate of Sacrifice and turned free. It was also carefully explained to him that he was not worshiping the emperor; merely acknowledging the divine character of the emperor as head of the Roman state. Still, almost no Christians availed themselves of the chance to escape.”—Those About to Die.

WT is a work of fiction, so why not quote from a work of fiction as if it were fact. Certainly, many early Christians died as martyrs, but WT would have considered them apostates anyway. Modern WT is intolerant of dissent not unlike ancient Rome.

• earthfire
    earthfire

I don't have a current Watchtower. Can you give a link to the paragraph?

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

read blondies WT review on another thread......

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Seriously? The book was fiction? Wow. During that paragraph I was thinking about HBO's Rome series. Been meaning to give it a watch. Guess my thinking wasnt far off from whoever wrote this paragraph referencing a fiction book. wow.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I marked that paragraph intending to research it later. You did my homework for me.

Thanks.

Unbelievable ... that's what the WT is: unbelievable!

• Comatose
    Comatose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_P._Mannix

this is dumb. I can't believe it.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

lol at "if you liked Caligula, you'll love Those About to Die". Picturing Stephen Lett making those crazy faces he does while watching Caligula Special Edition DVD scenes in slow motion.

• Terry
  • Chaserious
    Chaserious

Nothing surprises me anymore. So according to the WTS, actual scholarly work can be summarily dismissed (like, I don't know... 607 BCE, science) if it doesn't agree with Watchtower doctrine, yet historical fiction can be presented as reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit