greatest show on earth

by unstopableravens 273 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Its been awhile since i read this book but I liked it.

Dawkins is great when he explains the evidence and facts about evolution and leaves the reader to "reconcile " things for themselves.

He doesn't need to be preachy or take shots at beleivers ( though explaing the issues with YEC makes perfect sense under the context of the book).

I do recommend this book to anyone that wants to get a passionate and great view of evolution by one of the most popular evolutionary biologists out there.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Even wikipedia despairs that on some subjects, consensus cannot be reached. I'd like to think this forum is free and open enough (absent the mud-slinging) that the two sides can at least be respectful.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Pterist - Define spiritual values? Do all religions possess these values? How do you feel about those who practice Islam? Hindus? Scientologists?

• Angharad
    Angharad

Your suggestion that atheists should be banished to a dingy corner of the forum made me laugh. How about superstition and mythology gets banished leaving the board free for reason and rational thinking?

How about no one is banished to any corners. Nobody gets to dicate who can and cannot comment on certain threads - this is a discussion forum. All we ask is that both sides of any debate show respect to the other.

• Pterist
    Pterist

*** Pterist - Define spiritual values? Do all religions possess these values? How do you feel about those who practice Islam? Hindus? Scientologists?***

Great question, probably way beyond my limited understanding to give it full justice, however, your comment below shows what it is NOT...

Have peaceful day ;)

Cantleave ****I really wish this Jebuz guy would make himself manifest to everyone, in an unambiguous way, and stop being a mysterious ashwipe. Why play these ridiculous games? All he has to do is come down in all his glory, with a few winged horses and levitating chariots, smile and wave and I will know he isn't some delusion of the weak minded, myth created to control people or absurbed joke.

Jesus Christ - Come on down............. ****

• Pterist
    Pterist

*** How about no one is banished to any corners. Nobody gets to dicate who can and cannot comment on certain threads - this is a discussion forum. All we ask is that both sides of any debate show respect to the other. ****

Thank You.

• cofty
    cofty

Please be reassured I have no desire for anybody to be banished anywhere - I was simply being cheeky in response to Pterists startling comment.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Pterist - Define spiritual values? Do all religions possess these values? How do you feel about those who practice Islam? Hindus? Scientologists?..Cantleave

Islam has values. Anyone who doesn't agree with them is an infidel (kaafir)...and should be destroyed. Women should submit to their husbands. And all should submit to Allah and the prophet Muhammads teachings.

Giving your life for Allah means that your slate is wiped clean of all wrong doing. So suicide bombers are praised and rewarded with 72 virgins in heaven.

Whats NOT to respect? They are VERY spiritual. Their belief is so strong they would die for their god...and do.

They also teach that you should give to people who have less than yourself, look after your family etc...all these things are weighed and measured in special books where angels keep track of your every thought and action. Too much naughty stuff and you're off to hell to be burnt and tortured. You will stay there for a period of time determined by how bad you have been. ie. sex before marriage (bad), not praying eight times a day (bad). All this is kept track of. And this you are judged by. But if you destroy kaafirs (suicide bombing), no matter how 'bad' you have been (like missing prayer everyday), straight to heaven. Your naughty book is wiped clean and virgins await. (what IS thier obsession with the virgins I wonder?)

This world is nothing more than a test for the next. It really has no other value other than to see if you should be punished or rewarded. It is a religion of the dead that has over a billion folllowers.

Sounds like a fantastic way to live doesn't it?

Those are NOT values...those are doctrines that are followed out of fear of punishment.

What on earth makes people think that religions like this deserve to be respected?

• Pterist
    Pterist

Still thinking *** Those are NOT values...those are doctrines that are followed out of fear of punishment. - What on earth makes people think that religions like this deserve to be respected?*****

Thank you for your definition of what spiritual values are or NOT, However that is not the issue here. The issue here is, "who gets to dicate who can and cannot comment on this thread" ? objections were made by one member, when a creationist view based on the Bible was put forward.

So are we to assume that the people you describe in your comment have no right to make a comment on this topic ?

I believe the moderator understood the issue of the dispute and made the following statement: """"" How about no one is banished to any corners. Nobody gets to dicate who can and cannot comment on certain threads - this is a discussion forum. All we ask is that both sides of any debate show respect to the other. """"

Shalom

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The issue here is, "who gets to dicate who can and cannot comment on this thread" ? objections were made by one member, when a creationist view based on the Bible was put forward.

Cofty has already clarified that's what what he meant. Please do try to keep up.

So are we to assume that the people you describe in your comment have no right to make a comment on this topic ?

Why would you even ask this question? Are you just making up stuff to take issue with, now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit