I had cataract surgery on Feb 12

by Lady Lee 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Glander
    Glander

Floaters are something you get used to. In the fall when there is a lot of fresh fruit in the house I have to decide if it's gnats or floaters in my face. Floaters don't retreat when you swat at them. Gnats drown in your wine glass but floaters don't.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I am sitting here reading the posts mostly in size 10 font. And if I close my right eye and don't use my glasses for the left eye that had the cataract removed I can read it!!!

What is amazing was my fear of going blind. My left eye was so bad that I could not read anything unless it was an inch high with that eye. My glasses didn't make it much better whether it was near or far.

Without my glasses I couldn't read anything even when I held it less than an inch from my face. Distance was no better for either eye.

Right now if I want to read the screen with my supposedly good eye, without glasses I have to put my nose about 6 inches from the screen. And that was the good right eye. The glasses help me read even from 5 feet away.

At 3 feet away using the left eye I can read the screen at 3 feet away without glasses. This is phenomenal to me.

We don't realize how much we are missing until we see it (pun absolutely intended). I had no idea the right eye was so bad and was really concerned about losing my vision. I lived with a man who was blind for three years. I know it isn't the end of the world. But it would take a lot of retraining. Now I am not worried anymore. Failing some other eye problem I expect now to see clearly for many many years to come.

Don't let fear stop you. Just do it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Vidqun

Yes Diabetics need to be cautious. The results aren't as good. But if you talk to your opthalmologist and he or she recommends getting it done then I would go ahead.

I am so glad I started this thread. Nice to know so many have had ot done. And if we can encourage some of you to get past the fear to ge tit done then fabulous.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Very pleased to hear the operation went well for you Lee. It must feel like a new world with such an improvement in your sight!

Loz x

• Glander
    Glander

If you need it, by all means, " ge tit done"

sorry LL, couldn't resist.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

ok so I can't type lol

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well 8 days post-op

Left eye continues to improve. Colors are sharper and clearer.I can read a size 10 font with no problems without glasses. I can't read anything now with the left eye with the glasses. That is just a blur. Distance reading is vastly improved also.

I am knitting an afghan using white wool. The weirdest thing happens when I look at what I am making. I get one image but the right side of the afghan is white and the other side is pale tan.

I want this second surgery so bad and hate that I have to wait another 7 weeks for it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Best wishes for a full recovery.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I changed the title so people don't think I had the surgery yesterday

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

3 weeks post op

Vision in the left eye has stabilized I think

At this point the eye begins to get tired later in the day and I have to close it to do any reading. The glasses are an issue because the eye wants to work but it is looking through a lens that is waaay to strong. I will need reading glasses I think but the lens won't be anywhere near as strong as the one I have in there now.

One thing I learned while I was doing research on this. They do have different kinds of lenses.

The first type is a lens that improves distance. This lens will require reading glasses after surgery. This seems to have the best results for people. The opening they make that holds the lens in place requires just a tiny hole to suck out the old lens (after they break it up) and then insert the new lens (they fold it to help it go in a small cut in the sac. This tiny hole does not require any stitching to close the hole after the insertion

The second is actually a bifocal. This lens will probably require a reading glass. The surgery for this is a little more complex because they have to stitch the lens in place. The cut in the sac is larger because this lens cannot be folded to insert it into the sac

And the third is a progressive lens. This is the grand-daddy of lenses. But it requires the more extensive surgery than the above. The lens has to be placed in the exact right place so it doesn't move around. You might not need glasses for this but the surgery for this doesn't always seem to work well. This surgery also requires a larger cut in the sac and will require stitches to close the sac after the insertion.

After reading all this I am glad that they gave me the first type. I don't need complications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit