I've Come To Realize That "Facts" Don't Mean Much If A Person Refuses To Accept Them

by minimus 160 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Ok Gopher. Let's suppose I say I am typing this as I sit in my car. Is that a fact?

I don't know. Have someone video-record you sitting your car reading this very post!! (kidding)

I guess I'm being persnickety, but it isn't a universal fact until folks can verify it. But really I'm talking about "facts" as related to the original post, those which can serve as a basis for discussion and debate about topics of general interest to a significant number of people.

I suppose these days some of what people post as their updated statuses on social media are factual. I'm going to go for pizza. I'm relieving myself in the john. Who the hell really cares? LOL.

I think we're saying the same thing.

Sometimes when we hash things out like this, we reach that point. And I say Hallelujah (even though technically I don't worship Jah any more).

Sorry I sometimes give 100-word responses when 25 will do.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I don't mind a long reply Gopher when all parties are trying to gain a common understanding (as here) as opposed to winning an arm-wrestling match. :)

(for the record, it wasn't a fact, in case you were worried lol)

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Shelby,

Greetings and peace to you, again, dear Goph' (by the way, did I ever say "Welcome back, you were missed"? If not... consider it said!). Alrighty, then... in the spirit of trying to understand one another (I certainly am, as well as trying to be understood)...

I see you introduced the word "truth" here as a synonym for facts. Personally I wish we could just stick to the word "facts" as it is the title of this thread. "Truth" just sounds like a collection of facts that align to a philosophy or religion. I know I'm imposing a meaning onto it, but I'm a bit sensitive to the religious nature of the word 'truth' and I'm sure you understand why.

I do understand. And I would 'cept s'not me what's got an issue there. I say "truth"... and others start throwing around the word "fact." For THEM, it's not truth if it's not a verified fact. I personally don't believe they are necessarily one and the same and that the problem comes in when the words "verified/verifiable" are added. Again, I think truth IS verifiable, just not perhaps at the time in question. Not necessarily verified... YET. But verifiable at some point, yes.

Reality to me does not include faith.

Yes, I understand. But one definition is "the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld." And I have found that to be the true definition. So, while I get that it does not mean that to YOU... you must understand that it absolutely means that to ME.

I don't mean to demean you or anyone who is a person of faith. However faith can take on so many shades and colors, depending on culture and even family background.

No, truly, it doesn't. Not the TRUE definition of it. It is all of the erroneous interpretations that give it all of those shades/colors. Now, sure, I can say all day long the interpretation I now understand is the TRUE one. I'm not asking anyone to believe ME, though, not at all. I'm just saying that anyone who truly WANTS to can receive the same definition as I did... from the same Source that I did. S'all I'm sayin'. If one DOESN'T want to... absolute NO skin off MY teeth, none at all. I don't leave this board thinking, "Goats! They should be listening to ME and what I say about faith!" Nope. Not even. I leave saying, "Okay, puppies... time for candy then nite-nite!" or "Honey, you got a clean shirt for tomorrow?" or something like that.

Faith is belief in the unseen, and I aver that it is definitely outside the realm of provable fact.

So, something MUST be seen in order to be proveable?

Facts are either provable or falsifiable. Nobody living on earth can definitely prove there is or isn't a deity, and if there is nobody can prove which one is the right one. It all gets hazy and murky when you mix in faith with facts.

Nobody living on earth at this time, no... but that was not the case in the past and won't be in the future. As to either, whether there is/isn't a God... or which is the right One. You folks here are not the first to have called for proof. Pharaoh called for proof some 3-4 millenia ago. And some before him did so, too. As did some after him. And proof was provided each time. Sure, it may not happen often... but who's to say you're not living in the time of such proof again, now? You won't know it until you see it, of course, but not everyone has that need.

To you, your faith may be real. To others, their different faith may be real. I don't deny that people think things are real.

Do you mean my faith is real (it is)... or what I receive as a result of it?

Me: "what you claim here as to religion... I see you as being as dogmatic about THEM as many proponents of religion are about SCIENCE."
    You: Yes I'm bringing a point of view when I say religions tend to believe they have the facts and are not interested in searching for knowledge. The major religions have always said you must believe their way or else you are doomed for eternity. Since you are not a major defender of religion, I didn't think you would have any problem with my saying that.

I don't have a problem, at all. But again, don't many proponents of religion say the same thing as to science? Albeit not religious, couldn't I say the same... that some of the proponents of science here believe THEY have all the facts and so aren't interested in searching for knowledge, either? True, it may not be knowledge as to the physical world... but do such ones TRULY have the facts as to the spirit world?

Throughout the centuries it has been the world of science rather than theologists who have worked hard to explore and develop new facts about the universe.

Are you sure it hasn't been a bit of both?

It seems to me that any search for information by religions has been chiefly to confirm their existing belief system. I hope I'm not "dogmatic" in this assessment and am open to learn if religions have brought forth amazing new discoveries.

I dunno. I mean, religion has fostered MANY universities and centers for learning... as well as taken the lead in a LOT of medical/nursing areas. They own a LOT of hospitals and fund a LOT of medical research, archeological endeavors, etc. I mean, I've never actually researched it, but I think that is the case.

I perceive that you are pointing to a grouping of all "truth" with an overlap between religion and science. I don't see it like that. I see religion and science as totally separate disciplines, with their own goals and possible benefits. Science is there to document what is provable, to the extent possible, about the known world. Religion is there to document what is believable, to the leaders and/or adherents of a given faith system, about the unknown world. In my view a thick, dark line exists between the two disciplines (religion and science).

I wasn't really trying to overlap science and "religion"... at least not as religion is largely manifest in this world... but religion as that applies to things of the spirit realm, including faith, etc. I actually HATE that term... but I understood what was meant here and just didn't want to deviate into a lesson on the difference between religion and the spiritual. But let's go with religion and science: I do see them as totally separate disciplines. Rather than see a thick, dark line, though... I have learned to see a kind of Venn diagram, albeit not one with three equal parts overlapping.

Science constantly works to observe and measure the known universe, and this process has only accelerated in the past century due to amazing advances in technology.

Yes! Yet, we know all there so much NOW... that we absolutely must rule out from being true, factual, or existing ANYTHING we can't explain... or verify... NOW. Right? Yet, if somehow we develop the tools/means to consider something we don't believe exists now at some FUTURE time, well, then, doo-dah... NOW that thing exists. Yes? Yet, the FACT is that it was there all along. How do you reconcile that?

True science means that which is verifiable and holds up to repeated observation and/or experimentation.

Okay. But again, if the earth's circumference isn't verifiable NOW... because the means TO repeatedly observe/experiment don't yet exist... is it not ROUND... NOW?

Fraudulent ideas like "cold fusion" have been exposed as hollow and have been sent to the wayside. The scientific process is self-correcting as it is exposed to constant peer reviews and re-evaluation.

And that's a good thing, IMHO. How, though, can we applaud that... and not do so when religion "adjusts" as well? Again, I'm not a proponent of religion; I am also not a proponent of hypocrisy...

If we go beyond the scientific methods currently known and accepted, we are entering into a realm of faith which cannot be proven or falsified using "true" scientific methods. Those who look to fit ideas of faith into science are trying to place a square hole into a round peg, Dear Shelby.

So, DaVinci shouldn't have had his vision of a flying machine (helicopter)... or told anyone about it... because the scientific methods known and accepted during HIS day couldn't prove or falsify that vision... the theory of which took some 400 or so years to "verify"? But wasn't it HIS vision that prompted the attempt TO verify it... although 4 centuries later? Are we really to believe that every possible way to verify something is known to us today... or will/can be known in, say, the next 5-10 years?

If someone brings "other ways" that don't accord with the scientific method, whatever they're doing isn't scientific.

What if such other ways doesn't accord... but WORKS? Would science actually reject it because it doesn't (seem to) accord? And if so, isn't that exactly what religion does?

I seriously doubt anyone is asking believers to verify items of faith in a scientific way.

Sure they are. They do so here all the time! Even when one says, "But it cannot be verified that way - it must be verified THIS way." The response is "Nope, gotta be verified "that" way and "that" way only."

I certainly don't ask that. I believe items of faith are outside the realm of the "facts" discussion, because they cannot be proved or disproved scientifically

Yes, dear one. You and many others... and those of us of faith are most appreciative of that. However, that is NOT the case with everyone.

Shelby - just one more response in clarification: I'll jump to the middle of your post because I found this example interesting.

Of course!

For this discussion my inclination is to steer away from personal experiences and keep it to universally known ideas and to whether they are factual or not. Otherwise we get into religious / faith experiences that are not subject to the scientific method. So those kind of things may be something, may be real to you or others who truly believe they have experienced them. See, these are items of faith, and while they are in the realm of your own reality - and honest people will listen to them and evaluate them, they are not universal.

Yes, I TOTALLY understand! I believe that that is what both dear Apognophos and Satanus (peace to you, both!) were trying to say. I personally don't have a problem leaving off from discussing "facts"... except where I have stated something as true... and then am accused of twisting, distorting, misstating... or "mispresenting facts." YOU have the insight to see that one may not be discussing "facts" that can be scientifically proven (NOW)... but realities that, while scientifically verifiable at SOME point, but perhaps not NOW... ARE true. Just because I can't prove that I landed that Marlin doesn't mean I shouldn't share my experience with you... perhaps even how YOU can do it, too.

"If evidence is strong enough to be universally accepted, tested and recreated, then it can come into the realm of fact. Otherwise the evidence is personal and can serve to strengthen one's faith.

I totally agree with the latter part of your statement; however, if only a few WANT to accept, test, and recreate the evidence... and do... and receive similar results... it can still be rejected because ONLY a few did. That the majority don't even WANT to... shouldn't negate what the few found. Should it?

However you and I live have only lived in a world where we knew the world to be spherical. The earth was spherical even before it was verified. However since nobody could verify it, how could we anyone at that point state "it's a FACT"? Maybe I'd be more clear if I use an example from the world we know.

And that's my question: WHEN it is a "fact"? When it is TRUE (which it is before it's even verified)... or only when it's verified? Now, I have NO problem with that definition; again, MY interest is when I say something is TRUE (and it is but perhaps not yet verified)... and some says I'm "misrepresenting FACTS."

Back in the 1970's and 1980's we heard our music on record players and boomboxes. Who knew it was possible to miniaturize music players so that it would fit in the palm of one's hand? Such a thing could have been theorized by the brightest minds in 1975, but it wasn't yet verified. And then technology kept miniaturizing the circuit boards, and things kept getting smaller until they produced MP3 players and I-pods that can hold thousands of songs. So the fact that such a thing "could" happen became verified.

I understand: it became a fact. But... wasn't it always TRUE... that music players COULD be miniaturized... except the tools/means to do that didn't exist yet? So, okay... you're saying, "Yeah, and while someone may have KNOWN that... they couldn't SAY that... because the industy couldn't prove/verify it, yet." Right?

See, but here's where that bugs me: that's similar to what the JC said when I told them what I was hearing. Of course, such wasn't understood, known, being taught/published by THEM, and so THEIR position was that I was "going beyond" the things written (by them) and thus accepted (by them)... and so couldn't even speak them. Now, of course, they have since published some of what I (and I'm sure some others) have shared with them... and addressed a lot as well but not changed anything (NOT because it was wrong, but because they are not going to change their errors).

Do you NOT see how that's really the same thing: "You can't say it's true unless WE say it's true... and right now WE don't because WE don't know if it's true... because WE can't [currently] verify it and we think the method you suggest won't work so why try... and even so, we still might not publish it, if it stands to undermine something else... so YOU can't speak it because your doing so is going beyond (our things)"?

I guess you have to have it done to you by both to see how they really aren't different. It's even easier to see when the men who "interrogate" you... on both sides... do so in the exact same manner... while pointing fingers at the men who do so on the other side.

I will understand if you... or others... don't/can't understand. And it won't change my regard for you. I just wish you would understand why it's absolutely NO different to ME.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a doulos of Christ,

SA

• smiddy
    smiddy

Ain`t that the truth !

smiddy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You got that right smiddy.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Let me tell you a story about "truth" and "facts" that well represents the differences and problems.

First, start with President Barack Hussein Obama II and his Certificate of Live Birth:

When this was released, some of the people who so strongly stated that Obama was not born in Hawaii, did not back down. Instead of saying that the truth or the facts revealed them to be wrong, they attacked the document and reached for new facts that it might reveal.

Here's what some of those people said:

People of color were not called "African Americans" in 1961. They were called "Negroes."

"Kenya, East Africa" did not exist in 1961. It was the "British East African Protectorate" and Kenya was formed in 1963.

The "Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital" did not exist as such in 1961. It was two separate hospitals known as "Kaui Keolani Children's Hospital" and kapi' olani Maternity Home." They merged in 1978 to become "Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital."

The implication is clear. The stated "facts" above gave way to an alledged "truth" that the document was first produced sometime after 1978 and that even if one "fact" was discarded, there were two other strong indicators.

But what if all three "facts" were not "facts."

Here are the facts: "African American" does not appear anywhere on the birth certificate. "African" described the race of the father, which was common to distinguish a person born in Africa.

While Kenya did not gain it's independence until after 1961, it was called Kenya long before 1961.

The hospital in question was actually named "Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital" from 1931 until 1971, then it became Kapi' olani Hospital, and it did merge with the Kauikeolani Children's Hospital in 1978, but that separate hospital had nothing to do with B. Obama's birth. When the two merged, the name became Kapi' olani Medical Center for Women and Children.

Here's the truth of the matter, subject to opinions:
    Typing "African" in a birth certificate was probably insisted upon to distinguish between a black person from the United States and a black person from Africa. Introducing the term "African American" into the argument when it isn't even part of the certificate or even a term used in 1961 is just a way of piling on to the so-called "facts."

Introducing a fact about the official name of a place without mentioning what the place is typically known as is deliberately misleading. This is like saying that "Rhode Island" is not a legitimate place to list as a place of birth because it is officially called the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. That might work well to confuse those that know nothing about the place or who don't bother to google anything.

Both of the above were things supplied by the father. He would almost certainly not identify himself as "negro" or "negroe" which were more commonly linked to slave history. He most certainly knew where he was from and could list the preferred name "Kenya" over the British-control name, especially when he hoped Kenya would soon be independent.

Finally, hospitals and other facilities go through many name changes. This one seems deliberately misleading by opponents of Barack Obama, but maybe they just did not do their homework well. Or maybe they wanted to just throw too many "facts" in the mix so that they could hold onto their mistaken truth.

If a person in Cook County, Illinois were to list Cook County Hospital as their place of birth, people from the area would know that they meant the hospital on the west side of Chicago. But years later, someone could say that there were three "Cook County Hospitals" at the time, one being Provident Hospital, another being Oak Forest Hospital, and the third (that hospital on the west side) closing in 2002 to reopen across the street as the new "Stroger" Hospital. I am sure Cook County Hospital had some other official names and a hospital (or hospitals) in Hawaii could have similar other official names and histories.

My whole point on this is that there are actual "facts" but people throw true and untrue data into the mix as if it were "facts."
    Truths are the common terms for conclusions reached by the facts. But they are not true if the facts are not genuine facts.
    It does seem that some here are using the common term definition for "truths" to mean facts, when their truths are not established and their facts are not even correct or established.

I can argue that "evolution" is a fact and the details are not known. (And I will.) But philosophically and in common terms, the evidence is just a bunch of data about genetics and fossils and other scientific stuff. That data makes up the "facts." Theories by scientists are not facts, even truthful statements of conclusions from scientists are not facts. The only facts are the data. Evolution is a "truth," a conclusion reached by the facts of the data. Of course you can object to the truth. You can turn a blind eye to the facts and reach a different conclusion if you want to.

The same is true for virtually any data, facts, and conclusions reached.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It does seem that some here are using the common term definition for "truths" to mean facts, when their truths are not established and their facts are not even correct or established.

I wholeheartly agree.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Shelby,

I don't have much time for a detailed answer as I would like. I am working in the office today.

However I will hit some high points.

So, something MUST be seen in order to be proveable?

No, science has measured unseen things. But must something be able to be measured or evaluated scientifically to be proveable? For the sake of trying to define universal facts, I'll say yes. Beliefs and experiences are not proveable, despite how true they may seem or actually be.

But what I've been trying to emphasize here, in line with the title of this thread, is what makes a FACT that people can universally use and apply, without prejudice or interpretation.

As to either, whether there is/isn't a God... or which is the right One. You folks here are not the first to have called for proof. Pharaoh called for proof some 3-4 millenia ago. And some before him did so, too. As did some after him. And proof was provided each time.

I haven't been asking for proof. I have been saying there is no actual way we on this planet can prove or disprove the existence of a God.

As for your claim that proof was provided each time, that is merely a claim (I don't mean to be harsh). On the other side, there are people who take the existence of evil in the world as proof that God doesn't exist. So there are strong assertions of proof on both sides. In the end, it cannot be factually and universally settled. The question of fact will remain.

Some of the proponents of science here believe THEY have all the facts and so aren't interested in searching for knowledge, either.

While the word "some" may be true, those in the fields of science in general are not dogmatic. However when they have strong reasons and have done a lot of research to back up published science, scientists and academics will defend scientific theories and/or facts with vigor against unresearched or unproven claims to the contrary.

Religion has fostered MANY universities and centers for learning... as well as taken the lead in a LOT of medical/nursing areas. They own a LOT of hospitals and fund a LOT of medical research...

Yes religions have hospitals, like the two main ones I use here in St. Paul. However hospitals are not their main business or area of concern. When I talk about religions searching for information chiefly to confirm their belief system, I'm talking about their discussion of doctrines and how they use facts.

if somehow we develop the tools/means to consider something we don't believe exists now at some FUTURE time, well, then, doo-dah... NOW that thing exists. Yes? Yet, the FACT is that it was there all along. How do you reconcile that?

I've consistently stated that science will uncover new facts in the future. For now, such things are theoretical and cannot be stated as fact. For example, the idea that we can get 1000's of songs onto a device that fits into the palm of your hand is now fact - and it was always true that it could be done, but it wasn't yet "fact". Science is exploring so many current phenomena as well, they're finding out new facts and developing new theories, for example about our universe in the field of astrophysics.

Me: Fraudulent ideas like "cold fusion" have been exposed as hollow and have been sent to the wayside. The scientific process is self-correcting as it is exposed to constant peer reviews and re-evaluation.
    You: And that's a good thing, IMHO. How, though, can we applaud that... and not do so when religion "adjusts" as well? Again, I'm not a proponent of religion; I am also not a proponent of hypocrisy..."

Religion adjusting --- like when Mormonism finally allowed black men to have positions of authority in their organization in the 1970's, finally admitting to the scientific truth that there is no innate inferiority in black people? Or when the Catholic church at their highest level finally allowed for the idea that the scientific theory of evolution was not a bad thing, and they adjusted to it while still holding their faith in original creation? I'm trying to think of an important adjustment religion has made without being prodded from the outside.

I'm not seriously asking you to defend religion, BTW.

The scientific community has been deliberately designed to self-adjust, review, and to expect new things - even surprises that make them dramatically adjust former ideas. Science exists to keep prodding and poking around for new understanding. Organized religion by its nature is not that way. Religion exists to teach a received faith (which many of them even refer to as "truth"). I'm not saying I would expect organized religion to mirror the scientific view of the world - I'm just saying there's a difference. I don't feel hypocritical when pointing out the difference.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't have many problems with how science works in principle, but I do have issues with how some science-only people express themselves on forums. That was my original point in this thread. Even the thread title can be construed to be arrogant and thus polarizing.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    I do have issues with how some science-only people express themselves on forums....... Even the thread title can be construed to be arrogant and thus polarizing.

Minimus asks pointed questions and waits to see the results. Was it arrogant of him to place the word "facts" in quote marks? Was he arrogant to start the title of his thread with a self-reference like "I've"? Was "refuses" too harsh a word? Was it arrogant for me to say that only things universally understood should be defined as fact, and that anything else is viewpoint, opinion, etc.?

A well-defined fact should be such that no reasonable person could disagree with it. It is measurable or observable, and constant.

The definition of fact should be humbling to all of us, including myself, because it would help us recognize that some things we say which we may really believe to be true are OUR perception of things, and reasonable people can have a differing perception. The worldwide web is full of anonymous people who, without much thought or research, present their impressions as "facts" -- and arrogantly chide anyone who doesn't go along with them.

I'm just trying to advance the cause of good conversation - always open to hearing thought-out points that may differ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit