I've Come To Realize That "Facts" Don't Mean Much If A Person Refuses To Accept Them

by minimus 160 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

No, I think I agree with all of that. And I don't pretend to know what Minimus really was saying. But unfortunately, an ambiguous statement allows others to jump in and apply it in only one direction: at people who believe differently than them. I was trying to encourage more self-reflection, along the lines of your last post. Although I was probably doing it clumsily.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Well, something has come up, dear Gopher (again, peace to you!) that, for ME... makes all of this discussion moot. Meaning it is SO important that disagreement TRULY does NOT matter (never did, but even less now). I cannot elaborate yet... but I most certain will. In the meantime, I have another post I must get to. I will post it in the Adult Section... and sincerely ask ALL who would respond SINCERELY to do so. Because I need your help. Truly.

But thank you, truly, for THIS discussion, as well.

As always, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Bump for people who have not read On The Way Out's excellent post above.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

ATWO's posts usually are excellent.

• Stealth
    Stealth

Is it safe to say without reading 8 pages of long winded posts, that this thread actually proves Minimus title of OP to be true/fact?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

I agree with you and at this point in my life I have no desire to knock myself out trying to convince anybody of anything.

If somebody asks me why I do or don't do or believe or not believe something, I will tell them why and leave it at that.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Is it safe to say without reading 8 pages of long winded posts, that this thread actually proves Minimus title of OP to be true/fact?

I would hope that even though the discussion was detailed/lengthy, that it opened up some good discussion and helped us come to some semblance of facts vs. viewpoints and what people will and won't accept.

If we are discussing universal "facts" - those which the form the basis of conversation among groups of people with different backgrounds (as opposed to isolated personal experiences or isolated events), then I would say the title of this thread isn't exactly accurate. Proven facts matter, whether or not a person refuses to accept them. The facts may not be important to the refuser, but that does not diminish their importance on the whole.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    If somebody asks me why I do or don't do or believe or not believe something, I will tell them why and leave it at that.

LHG - I totally agree, if we're discussing beliefs or interpretations of facts/events. Further, if a person refuses to believe universal facts (e.g. man landed on the moon in 1969), then it's really hard to continue a discussion with them.

• minimus
    minimus

Turned into an interesting thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit