May tv.jw.org program

by zophar 172 Replies latest jw friends

• Splash
    Splash

*** wi (World Without War) p. 25 par. 7 Who Will Lead the Nations to Peace? ***
    The scandals among Christendom’s clergy are notorious. Immoral televangelists who rake in millions of dollars and live like kings.

*** g88 3/22 p. 7 Do Today’s Religions Feed or Fleece the Flock? ***
    On one of ABC’s Nightline series of programs on the televangelists, ABC correspondent Marshall Frady said: “All the trappings of modern television evangelism seem a long way from the original simplicity of that intense young Galilean mystic without property, without any boards of directors, who just trudged about a dusty corner of the earth talking, two thousand years ago.”

*** w92 12/1 p. 26 Not Peddlers of God’s Word ***
    “WE WERE selling our ministry for money.” Those are the words of a former “telephone prayer minister” interviewed in an investigative report of American television evangelists late in 1991.
    This program focused on three televangelistic ministries in the United States. It disclosed that people are fleeced of tens of millions of dollars every year by just these three. One “ministry” was described as a “state-of-the-art factory for donations.”

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

Maybe there is something we are all missing here, as to the reason they need the money.

We all know that they make investments, we do not know what kind of investments. If they have had excess money in the past and intelligently invested this money, then that is fine I do not think anybody will find that bad or dishonest.

But what if they speculated with the money? that's a different matter. Just simply moving the money to another currency can be dangerous. In January the US$ gained 25% (briefly) in a very short space of time against the Swiss Franc due to a decision made be the Swiss Central Bank. This resulted in some hedge funds loosing a lot of money, so the question in my mind is, where does the Watchtower have its funds parked?
    With some types of investments (speculative), the investor must inject even more money if there is a significant movement in the wrong direction.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Jeepers, I just tried to watch this crap on my roku and managed to listen to about 4 seconds before having to switch it off!

Lett managed about 10 words and one big gesture and i felt a violent reaction to it and had to switch off. What the actual fuck? How did it become this bad? This clown is their front man?

My very uber dub pioneering mother doesnt watch the broadcasts, should I point her to this one (being as it seems so culty) or not bother?

• OzGirl
    OzGirl
    "I think I figured out what their cash out strategy is...
    When enough money isn't coming in any more, they are gonna proclaim the work is done from their standpoint, then walk away with whats in the bank" - freemindfade

That's how I see it, too.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Jehovah LOVES you! He loves you, and he NEEDS money! YOUR money!

This broadcast will surely wake people up, especially Elder types on the fence who know the whole story behind the "congregation loan forgiveness" scam that the rank-n-file witnesses know nothing about. Could you imagine being an Elder today, and seeing these letters come in, and then see this broadcast full of lies and money-grubbing behavior? The cognitive dissonance must be extreme.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

There has to be elders that are seriously questioning this. This has to be one of the most disturbing things I have seen. I was taught that we were part of an Organization that did not ask for money. Really!

We will see some Elders follow right along with whatever these idiots say. I guess the way we all have to look at it is, if they want to continue to give money, so be it. The issue is, that it is so sad that they are taking advantage of people (the majority) who are not wealthy but middle to low income. That's what REALLY bothers me.

"Don't go to college but give us all of your money." Hey guess what GB...these people have no money cause you've been telling everyone to pioneer and volunteer. If you were smart you would encourage everyone to get an education and be kinder and loving. Maybe your revenue stream would increase. Hello!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I used to contribute $100 a month when I was in. But I swear, if I was still in, and I watched this stuff, I would STOP contributing.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

ToesUp

You know when he was talking about the CO's reporting"that some"... those some are elders, not joe publisher. I have a feeling there are some BOE that are wondering wtf

• nicolaou
  • Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

This was a major fundraising push.

Around the 10:45 mark it starts:

Millions of dollars are required each month to finance the collosal Kingdom work that is being supported by this organization in some 239 lands. Where does all the financial support come from? Largely from you dear brothers and sisters.

Most funds come from what you voluntarily put in the contribution box in your Kingdom Hall. Yes, that little box, with a slot, that is labeled "Worldwide Work" is primarily what finances all of the theocratic initiatives that have been implemnted. Of course there are many other ways to contribute as explained usually in the November issue of the Watchtower each year.

Sometimes we may feel a little shy to talk about the financial needs of the organization. That is understandable. Because we in no way do we want to be categorized with other organizations, religious and otherwise, that coerce their supporters to donate.

However, because all of us have the privilege to donate funds, we would like to let you know something about our current situation. Then, you can respond as your heart compels you. As you might have sense, I am not shy about this subject. And why not? There are many BIble examples of Jehovah's faithful servants making known the financial needs of the congregation. Only when the supporters of the Kingdom know the needs can they respond accordingly.

For example turn with me, please, to Exodus chapter 35. Now think about this when you're turning there: the Israelites were in Sinai. They were marching through a wilderness. They did not have fields or businesses with money flowing in. They just had what they had brought with them when leaving Egypt. Nevertheless, Jehovah instructed them to build a place of worship. Was Jehovah shy about letting the people know about the material needs? Well read with me Exodus 35 verse 4 and 5: "Moses then said to the entire assembly of the Israelites, 'This is what Jehovah has comanded: '" -- Now it wasn't what Moses commanded, it was what Jehovah has commanded. -- "'Take up a contribution for Jehovah from among yourselves. Let everyone with a willing heart bring a contribution for Jehovah. Gold, silver, copper.'"

You see, the people would not have known this need if Jehovah had not informed them. Very interesting, is it not?

The Governing Body very much feels the urgency of accomplishing as much as we possibly can in behalf of Kingdom interests knowing that the great day of Jehovah is near! So in an effort to keep you informed of the support that is needed for this great work, I have the following information to share:

We have looked forward to this next fiscal year and projected the expenditures for all of the theocratic initiatives we are scheduling. In doing the math, we found that the amount of money flowing out will be much greater than the amount of money we have coming in at this time. Well why is that? Does this represent a lack of appreciation for spiritual things? Nooo! Absolutely not! To the contrary. We are witnessing unprecedented enthusiasm among the brotherhod for all the spiritual bounty that is coming our way. .....

He then engages in a brief discussion of the printing work, the production of JW.org, JW Broadcasting and its dissemination in multiple languages, etc. After assuring the audience that the financial situation has nothing to do with a lack of spirituality, he continues . . .

However, there are some facts that we want to make you aware of. For one thing, the financial needs in the field have accelerated at a pace unlike any time in the recent past. A recent analysis of the need for Kingdom Halls here in the United States shows that some 1,600 new Kingdom Halls or major renovations are needed, not some time in the future, but right now. And worldwide we are in need of more than 14,000 places of worship, not including ongoing future growth. In the past 15 years, 30,000 Kingdom Halls have been built. That averages at about 2,000 Kingdom Halls every year. But in an effort to relieve the serious backlog more quickly, we intend, Jehovah willing, to complete 3,000 Kingdom Hall projects every year going forward. Now that's a 50% increase.

Additionally, adjustments are being made to simplify the Kingdom Hall design in order to accelerate the construction schedule and to save funds. Though the design will be simplified, the sheer number of Kingdom Halls requires considerably more funds in the budget than in times past.

Let's think about this: today, how many publishing companies print publications in the many languages that Jehovah's Witnesses organization currently does? The answer: none. And why is that? It is because they cannot make a financial profit. We, however, are accelerating our method of translating publications into indigenous languages. This involves building or purchasing Regional Translation Offices, or RTOs. These will be strategically located in a part of the country with the highest concentration of native speakers of the language.

He then goes on to say that over the next 2 years, 170 RTOs will be needed. And this is among the many reasons why he mentioned the need to increase finances.

He then said the following:

We also have heard from Circuit Overseers and others than some of the brothers and sisters may have a misconception about some of the recent policy changes that have been instituted.

Gee, one wonders why that would be.

I'm reminded of Luke 14:28:

For example, who of you wanting to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense to see if he has enough to complete it?

Perhaps we should put "Kingdom Hall" or "RTO" or "literature" in place of the word "tower" in that passage. It's something the Society should seriously take to heart.

We don't need more literature. We have Bibles (in several different translations readily available), we have the Good News.

But we also, it would seem, have a "Shepherd" over the brothers and sisters who is edging toward giving us the business in order to continue running the business.

More later. Must go.

BROTHER JERAMY

P.S. ... Considering the length of this fundraising push, and the Scripture quotes and anecdotes strategically shared, this was, in fact, coercive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit