So Your Husband Is Thinking of Becoming A Jehovah's Witness

by LoisLane looking for Superman 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Many of the men i knew in the kh were not assertive though. sometimes giving in behind closed doors is easier to have a happy wife/life.

Most JW men are led by the nose by their wife, including most of the Elders. Because of the lack of any formal education, it is not at all unusual for the wife to be smarter than her hubby. Very often women in the Cong are much more knowledgable about scripture, doctrine, etc.

I'm sure there are @$$hole control freaks that Lois' original list could apply to, but I don't think it's the norm.

Doc

• jgnat
    jgnat

This misogynist religion surely gives an abuser lots of room to create victims, as Lois Lane so painfully points out. If she protests, he has the added club, "because the bible says so". The woman has to disentangle all THAT mess from what really matters, to recognize she is being abused.

• Mum
    Mum

My JW elder ex-husband seemed to think I was not entitled to have wishes, needs, or a brain. His wishes should have been my wishes. He ridiculed the idea that Jehovah understood me and my perspective.

My daughter tells me he thinks I'm the devil incarnate, but still believes I am the "smartest woman" he ever met. Apparently the smartest woman is inferior to the most ignorant man. Once we had an argument about math (I was helping him study for his GED), and he argued that a male co-worker of his had told him differently than what I was saying. The male co-worker was taking classes at some proprietary college. So I became uncharacteristically loud and angry. He was shocked, and told me I didn't "have to go 'stock' raving mad.

But I did need to. And I did. And, eventually, I left.

It's all about me. :-)

Regards,

SandraC

• steve2
    steve2

Perspective helps, I think, because it is tempting to overly-emphasize the Watchtower's deplorable - but, ahem, very tame - view of sex and marriage.

If you must point the finger, start with the Biblical perspective(s) which encourage the notion of this being a man's world.

Not to absolve the Watchtower of its responsibility for the way marriages are "played out", but their view is fairly consistent with many fundamental Christian religions, isn't it?

If you want to compare the Watchtower's view of sex and marriage, you could do worse than comparing it with, say, the views of other religious groups such as some Muslim and Hindu groups where female obedience - whether married or single - is literally a life or death matter. As I said, the Watchtower's view is tame by contrast.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Carla>>>>>"I think JW men would like their own version of the Taliban, if they could manage it".

Carla, This is the list.

A controlling Elder husband, can demand you obey him in all aspects of Watch Tower Society rules.

Just Lois

JoyfulFader>>>>>May I ask how long you stayed after he attacked you and you called the police? Was there a restraining order taken out on him?

You don't have to answer.

I am sorry that these terrible things happened to you. Jehovah's people. The happiest people on earth? I don't think so.

Just Lois

Hoser>>>>>You are a funny guy. Thank you for your male perspective. lol

Just Lois

FinallyAwake>>>>>Your husband JustRon, sounds like a Sweetheart. Would be fun to meet you sometime.

Just Lois

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Lois did not exaggerate one bit. My mother took this crap and far more b/c she was raised as a JW. There were no role models for health relationships. Marrying a Bethelite will only make your situation worse

. My mom never mentioned that I could date, dance, have male friends, be attractive to men. Her only brief mention was that I could never marry a Bethelite. The prestige at the KH was not worth what would happen at home.

I don't understand these rules. Respect and mutuality should lead to a far better relationship and sex. So many cultures are different. It may sound ideal to JWs when reading the lit or sitting in KH, but what does it do for them in the long run? The sexual aspects are important b/c it is obvious to anyone that the genitals of men and women are different. Women need more arousal. God created us this way according to Witness belief.

Pickler>>>>>You are funny! (At my house what I hear coming from the bedroom is my cat snoring. lol)

I too am so happy you did not marry into The Truth(tm). You were too smart Girl! The Watch Tower Society did not get you!

Just Lois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit