• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Think xmas.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Thanks mrs.jones5 but I asked someone else

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh you did? I didnt see who you had pointed your question to. Oops you didn't. I wrongly assumed it was a question opened to all. My bad. Ignore the above then. Had a really nice link to post related to your question but not going to now.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I'm sorry mrsjones5 I read the Qcmbr opening post and i wondered what XG meant and then why he used xian. It's just something relating to something someone else said to me recently.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Cool.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

mrsjones5

I'm not always as clear in my posting as I should be. sorry.

if you post the link I would like to see it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" The Oxford English Dictionary ( OED ) and the OED Supplement have cited usages of "X-" or "Xp-" for "Christ-" as early as 1485. The terms "Xtian" and less commonly "Xpian" have also been used for "Christian". The OED further cites usage of "Xtianity" for "Christianity" from 1634. [2] According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage , most of the evidence for these words comes from "educated Englishmen who knew their Greek". [11]

In ancient Christian art, χ and χρ are abbreviations for Christ's name. [19] In many manuscripts of the New Testament and icons, Χ is an abbreviation for Χριστος, [20] as is XC (the first and last letters in Greek, using the lunate sigma); [21] compare IC for Jesus in Greek.

[edit] Other uses of "X(t)" for "Chris(t)-"

Other proper names containing the name "Christ" besides those mentioned above are sometimes abbreviated similarly, either as "X" or "Xt", both of which have been used historically, [22] e.g., "Xtopher" or "Xopher" for "Christopher", or "Xtina" or "Xina" for the name "Christina".

In the 17th and 18th centuries, "Xene" and "Exene" were common spellings for the given name Christine. The American singer Christina Aguilera has sometimes gone by the name "Xtina". Similarly, Exene Cervenka has been a noted American singer-songwriter since 1977.

This usage of "X" to spell the syllable "kris" (rather than the sounds "ks") has extended to "xtal" for "crystal", and on florists' signs to "xant" for "chrysanthemum", [23] even though these words are not etymologically related to "Christ": "crystal" comes from a Greek word meaning "ice" (and not even using the letter χ), and "chrysanthemum" comes from Greek words meaning "golden flower", while "Christ" comes from a Greek word meaning "anointed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas#Use_of_.22X.22_for_.22Christ.22

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Thank you mrsjones5

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Sorry - just short hand for Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit