JW businessman's email about the UN and false religion

by Las Malvinas son Argentinas 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Has anyone here seen anything like this? I was shown a hard copy of an email from a purported JW businessman who claimed he had contact with some UN officials as part of his 'business'. In conversation, he claimed that he blurted out and asked them when they were going to clamp down on religion as foretold in JW prophecy. According to the account, the UN official acted startled, and asked 'How do you know?'. The JW proceeds with his witness about Revelation, and the UN guy then confirmed that something like that was in the works at the UN. It sounded contrived and manipulated, almost as if the UN official could see where he was going as a JW and decided to have fun with him. I could see it, but this hapless buffoon couldn't.

That part of the prophecy always rang the wrong bells for me. I knew that JWs went on and on about false religion and 'Chistendom', but it always sounded like they had an axe to grind against the Roman Catholic Church amongst other mainstream Christian sects. With Europe and the West in general becoming ever more secular in outlook, with the obvious JW glee that church attendance was dropping, it made a lot of sense to a JW that was still in. But looking at the larger picture and that there are now somewhere around a billion Muslims (who would also fall under the umbrella of 'false religion' as anything alien to Brooklyn), I see no such move by the UN. In fact, there is now such a huge Islamic bloc in the UN that would make any such resolution dead on arrival, not to mention the inevitable violent backlash wherever there's a Muslim population.

Is the UN clamping down on false religion yet another JW prophecy that is on its way out?

• Londo111
    Londo111

I heard this urban legend in the early 90's.

• steve2
    steve2

Believe me, UN officials are exposed to a higher than average number of religious nutters from a wide range of religious groups who make all sorts of statements about Biblical prophecy. Seventh-Day Adventists remind us every now and then that governments will soon force them to work on the Sabbath. They will be persecuted worldwide. Bor-ing. Only narcissistic religious groups think so highly of their special roles and "ability" to attract the mighty forces of Satan!

I would say it would be hard for a UN official to keep a straight face listening to this kind of delusional religious twaddle. I do not believe a UN official would ever looked startled - or perhaps only because the official might conclude the nutter is mentally unwell and worry about what the religious nutter might do right then and there.

BTW, the Watchtower's language about the UN has toned down significantly in more recent years. Gone are the rabidly worded descriptions of what the UN would have done to "Jehovah's people".

• cofty
    cofty

Yes I've heard about it before. Its a silly JW meme with no foundation in truth. They are very gulllible and willing to repeat any lies that reinforces their delusions.

The UN can't do anything. It is a club - its member states vote on what is to be done and then contribute the military resources to carry it out.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

If anyone actually believes that then I have a friend in Nigeria who has come into a large amount of money. Unfortunately the law prevents him from taking the funds out of the country. But if you just email me your bank account details he will very generously share his wealth with you....

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

LOL! Never heard that one before!

Love the part where the UN official confirms it!

"Uhhhhhh, yeah Mr. JW Businessman, we are planning on destroying religion soon. Please keep that quiet."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Freedom of belief and religion is one of the fundamental human rights that the United Nations upholds. To turn around and persecute selected groups would mean the UN wasn't the UN any more.

http://www.un.org/cyberschoolbus/humanrights/declaration/18.asp

• 00DAD
    00DAD

A talking Smurf told me that story too!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The way I used to always hear this urban legend, the JW brother was giving a business-related talk to some UN officials when he mentioned the prophesied move against religion. There was never more background to it than that, because the person who made this up obviously was lacking in imagination.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

jgnat - That's what I was thinking. It's a pure JW fantasy that the UN was coming for them and religion as a whole. Not only would it be contrary to the charter and the nature of the organisation, but I would think that a good majority of states would vote against it. This might be a leftover from the days when the Soviet voting bloc was powerful and that they would instigate such a move in line with their official athiest state policies. I think that the only officially 'athiest' state left is North Korea. Even Cuba has allowed religion to come back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit