God and the Super Bowl

by Christ Alone 30 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty
    Was there such a question that said "Do you believe that Jesus Christ was a real person who died and came back to life and was the son of God" on a CENSUS questionnaire?

No it was part of a poll commissioned by the BHA and conducted by "YouGov" in March 2011

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I'm still a thoughtful Christian. But I have to say that I do not understand the lure of atheism in the slightest. Having no hope is not appealing. And yes, I know that truth is not about what is appealing. And right now I'm not talking about proof or truth. I'm talking about the reality of a person's life. The reality is that your child could die today and you would never see them again for eternity. If your child has already died, well you are out of luck. No hope ever again for them. They are just dirt. The reality is that could happen to you. WILL happen to you.

I'm not discussing evidence. I'm discussing the reality of your life. It's great to say you've been set free of belief. I don't see the freedom. I see freedom in Jesus Christ, a love for life now, and a knowledge that life will never stop.

I also understand other belief systems that have hope. I'm not talking only about Christianity. I can understand belief outside of Jesus Christ. But atheism just practically sounds depressing to me. Again, I don't see the freedom. I would not be a happy atheist. And I'm just being honest here. There would be a constant fear that an accident could befall my family and that would be it forever. A fear of life once I got up in age to know I was going to die soon and that was it forever. It's just extremely depressing.

It seems that "freedom" exists as long as there is no tragedy. But I can't see someone that lost a 4 year old to a drunk driver thinking that they were truly free because they know that they will never see their child again.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the old canard "the fool, has said there is no god" unstop.

I'm convinced now - praaaaaise Jeeeebus and pass the collection plate!

• cofty
    cofty
    a love for life now, and a knowledge that life will never stop.

Nobody loves life more than me - what's your point?

You don't have a knowledge that life will never stop, you have a comforting delusion.

I no longer have to do mental gymnastics to defend the indefensible as you do. That's freedom.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Sounds like a crappy sort of freedom, cofty. I'm sorry...just being honest and non pc here.

I'm sorry if you thought I was questioning yours (or any other persons) love for life. I wasn't. I was just saying that I personally love life and love that it will not end. I've proven God to myself numerous times using different arguments and even going so far as to SPECIFICALLY try to instill doubts about God into my head. I'm not afraid of doubts anymore. Yet, I cannot deny what I've learned. And I am 100% sure that God is real and that it would take more faith for me to be an atheist than to be a believer.

And like I said, it's a perspective thing. I find the unsupportable idea that something came from nothing an incredible delusion. You think I'm delusional because I have seen my life changed and shaped, not because of myself, but outside of myself. I think you are delusional because you believe that life came from non life and matter came from non matter. That gap will never be bridged.

I suppose I've accepted the fact that some may think I'm delusional because I still believe in God. I was recently at an exmormon site, lurking around, and saw almost the same discussions there. It seems to be a very exCult perspective. Although, the Mormons tended to be better educated than we are/were here. I'm including myself in that. I just have seen that those that leave cults generally leave belief as well. And then they all claim they didn't question God because of their organization. It's just interesting to see the EXACT same thing happen with the Mormons.

• still thinking
    still thinking

With the rampant atheism here

LOL... I think a poll on this forum, recently showed the numbers of christians v atheists on this forum to be about equal.

Bloody atheists...they really should just STFU shouldn't they?

What do we call it when christians spout their belief all over the forum? Rampant christianity?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Well Unstop lets's look at that scripture as read from the King James version

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. The LORD looked.

In what way foolish?

Many of the greatest minds in Science, Art, Entertainment, Philosophy and History have been atheists. Between them they have brought great medical advances, they have discovered the wonders of the universe, worked out the how the laws of the universe work, unravelled the gene and ascertained the mechanisms by which life is so diverse. They have made wonderous works of art, made us laugh made us cry. If that is foolishness, let me live with these great fools.

Corrupt?

It is humanist thinking that has led the way to equality for all. Crushing the imperialism perpetuated by the church, the ignorance of the bible that demonises people because of their sexuality and race, given equal right to women. The archaic attitudes promoted the bible are being swept away by the enlightened.

Abominable works - none that have doeth good?

Again look at the achievements of science, mathematics and physics. All of which were stifled by religion, often classed as heresy. How many medical achievements were driven by those who fought against religious prejudice? Those who were not content just pray for divine intervention. To generalise and those who don't and abomination just show what an evil book the bible is.

Quoting scripture Unstop is the height of foolishness. Why quote a book at people like me, that I have no respect for, that has resulted in most the world's divisions and stops people from seeing truth.

• cofty
    cofty
    Sounds like a crappy sort of freedom, cofty

CA - how can you talk about freedom when you are committed to defending theism? The bible is an embarrassment, how can you defend it and call yourself intellectually free?

Don't forget I was a christian for 9 years after leaving the Watchtower so don't patronise me about why I don't believe.

If your faith will be damaged by the explanation of life from non-living chemistry you should abandon your faith now and save yourself time. The progress in abiogenesis is astonishing.

As for the origins of the universe I am content to live with "I don't know". I don't see it as a virtue to invent a supernatural world to fill the gap.

• cantleave
    cantleave

CA - My children couldn't understand why I didn't go bed with a teddy bear when they were younger. Their bears gave them comfort. They helped them cope with the dark, the scary shadows and the stranges noises at night. Guess what? They grew up.

Because you don't know what happens at death and fear it, you have your Teddy Bear, Christianity. Guess what? When you grow up and realise that that death is not scary, it is as we were before we were born, a state of unconsciouness, the end of a chemical reaction, a recylcing of the atoms that make up our bodies, you don't need that teddy bear anymore.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    How would you sell a product with an atheist message.

It's not quite an atheist message, but it's an ad for beer in New Zealand that scoffs at being spiritual/religious:

This one doesn't really compare to products using a Christian tone because the product is "atheism" but still it helps to understand the difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxCjEy49K1A

otwo: i think its not fair either way ,you cant put all athiest in a group and same with christains.

I am just talking trends that influence advertising. A Christian message gathers Christians and doesn't drive away too many non-Christians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit