God and the Super Bowl

by Christ Alone 30 Replies latest social current

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Did anyone notice the frequency that God was mentioned during the Super Bowl? I was impressed. With the rampant atheism here, sometimes it's easy to forget that belief is still very strong. The desire that many have expressed here of an atheist nation will never happen.

I wondered if anyone else noticed the frequency of mention of God and Prayer during the super bowl. Here are some that I noticed. Oprah (and Jeep) talked about prayer for our troops. Ram talked about God gift of Farmers. Jennifer Hudson and Sandy Hook elementary sung about God blessing America. And Ray Lewis (on the final video listed here) at 4:35 said, "If God is for us, who can stand against us."

Did this annoy any of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FadwTBcvISo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4nU7HRVDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYcMfbIa-uo

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

oprah annoys me, she is anything but christain,that in itself doesnt annoy me but hearing her talk about god does,when she has osteen and rick warren on her show,she is a new ager,and denys jesus being the only way,

• cofty
    cofty

As a Brit it doesn't annoy me but I think it is a bit weird.

The desire that many have expressed here of an atheist nation will never happen.

We would have said the same about Britain a century ago.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Britain is not an atheist nation. You have some great ones! N.T Wright is a great hero of mine and for Britain. Your own Queen is a very devout Christian. No, while Christianity has hit a lull in Britain, it definitely has not been phased out. And will not, imo.

Here's the latest census I could find about Britain. Atheism is still quite small:

The UK population: by religionReligions

As far as it seeming impossible a century ago, maybe we'll revisit this topic in America in a century.

• Glander
    Glander

A blind man could have seen the blatant pass interefence. So God was getting a beer?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Sorry, I didn't notice the 2011 census. Atheism is still far behind Christianity. I did appreciate the "Jedi Knight" reference...

2011 Census 1 Adherents%
    Christian 33 200 00059.3
    No religion 14 100 00025.1
    Muslim 2 700 0004.8
    Hindu 817 0001.5
    Sikh 423 0000.8
    Jewish 263 0000.5
    Buddhist 248 0000.4
    Jedi Knight 176 6320.3
    Pagan 57 000
    Spiritualist 39 000
    Agnostic 32 382
    Jain 20 000
    Humanism 15 067
    Wicca 11 766
    Ravidassia 11 058
    Rastafarian 7 906
    Heavy Metal 6 242
    Baha'i 5 021
    Druid 4 189
    Taoist 4 144
    Zoroastrian 4 105
    Scientology 2 418
    Pantheism 2 216
    Heathen 1 958
    Satanism 1 893
  • cofty
    cofty

CA - I know hardly anybody who would identify themselves as an atheist and if they were asked they would say they were christian.

The fact is they could not care less about god or religion. Census stats are meaningless. The percentage who worship regularly is in single figures and falling. There are churches closing everywhere in the UK and being converted to better uses.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I thought you guys liked proof and numbers? Where's the single figures proof?

I still call it a lull. It'll pick back up, I think. Anyway, still love NT Wright. And he's from your country.

• designs
    designs

Clearly the Big Guy in the sky favored the Righteous Ravens over the worldly 49ers.

18,000 children died of hunger yesterday, and will today and tomorrow.

Must be a shortage of Manna in heaven.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It is a lot more than a lull CA. More and more people are moving away from delusion and beginning to realise that myths and legends should have no place in 21st century society. The very idea that Mitt Romney could have became the leader of the free world, fightened mosts Brits, we laughed at Tony Blair and George Bush, not because of their policies, but because of their Christianity. Wake Up! Smell the Coffee! The UK is rapidly catching up with Denmark!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit