I finally told my parents

by nolongerconfused 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow! Doesn't get much better than that!

Good job, a very courageous thing to do.

• clarity
    clarity

nolongerconfused ..well done.

Thanks for posting this experience... might encourage

more of us to stand up!

clarity

• likeabird
    likeabird

Don't get me wrong, I'm very, very happy for you, and would love to have my parents on board, but on the other hand aren't you even slightly ***** they never breathed a word to you and let you live a lie and waste your youth? Amid the joy and relief I would be fuming mad at them.

Congratulations all the same, I hope one day I will have the opportunity to write the same post.

• Emery
    Emery

Awesome, congrats!

This actually happened in my case with my mother, father, and sister. I didn't come across in an attacking way, I told them I can no longer believe it anymore and they wanted to know why. They are all out and constantly talk about how refreshing and free they feel.

• carla
    carla

wonderful! I'm so happy for all of you! hope you all can make a graceful exit out without too much blow back.

• nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

likeabird:

Thanks for your wishes!....I know my parents didn't say anything because I'm sure they wanted what was best for me...however, they realized I'm no longer a kid and have my own reasoning and beliefs now...just so happens they agreed with me and huge weight was lifted off our shoulders now... :o)

• nugget
    nugget

So happy for you. We all hope for understanding from our parents but many are disappointed. I hope you are right and now that they know you are out they will be able to leave too.

• steve2
    steve2
    I'm very, very happy for you, and would love to have my parents on board, but on the other hand aren't you even slightly ***** they never breathed a word to you and let you live a lie and waste your youth?

Oh dear, if there's room for negativity - no matter how convoluted - it will be found.

Having doubts in the organization is to live with personal conflict and to be besieged by counter-thoughts such as, "What if my doubts are the result of Satan's influence?".

Besides, the same argument could be levelled against Nolongerconfused (Why did he let his parents continue living a lie for so long after he first doubted? Why didn't he approach them sooner - after all he's now an adult, not a minor child under parental authority?

We know from our own direct experiences that it is incredibly risky to broach these sorts of topics with our JW family members.

Once the 'cat is out of the bag', as it were, you can't put it back in again. You remain 'marked' and the JWs no longer look at you the same way.

If my parents had reacted in the positive way Nolongerconfused's parents reacted, I would not have had any negative counter-emotions along the lines of those quoted above. Caught up in the same spider's web, I would have understood perfectly well the inner torment that keeps individuals inside the organization isolated from one another and feeling too unsafe to reach out to one's JW family.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That was great to read.

aren't you even slightly ***** they never breathed a word to you

It goes to show how incredibly strong the manipulation of the Watchtower is. Parents are in fear of being open, even with their own children. A major goal of exjws needs to be is breaking down that fear.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

This is fantistic news!!! I'm also of the opinion that there are many more persons out there who know TTATT, but are too fearful to step out!

Peace

Kool Jo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit