Newbies: Any Feedback on the "New Light" Regarding GB?

by daringhart13 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars, not to be disrespectful to your dad in particular--after all, his response is sadly typical of 99% of the R&F Witnesses--but that's really ridiculous!

I hate it when dyed-in-the-wool JWs say things like, "I would need to investigate it fully to see whether I can agree with it," as if they have a chance of entertaining an independent thought or disagreeing with the GB.

Equally absurd is the, "It makes total sense," comment. Seriously, this doctrine is absolute nonsense!

If your dad, or anyone, "fully investigated it" they'd see in a few short moments what an incomprehensible mess this teaching makes of Jesus' otherwise straight-forward parable.

It's sad to see how easily otherwise intelligent people can be manipulated.

00DAD

• cedars
    cedars

00DAD

It's sad to see how easily otherwise intelligent people can be manipulated.

Sadly, intelligence has almost nothing to do with it. Dad's no rocket scientist, but he's got a head on his shoulders. Unfortunately its contents are the property of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, Inc.

Cedars

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Exact words from a CO Missionary, "That cant be true. I dont trust anything from the net! Ill wait for the Watchtower study to confirm this because that would be a significant change." Later after others havevtold him and he saw the video ," Makes perfect sense!" SMFH! Imagine to have that kind of mind control over millions!

• blondie
    blondie

I know older jws that s till talk about the 1914 generation and have no idea that it changed in 1995 (18 years).

*** w95 11/1 p. 18 par. 7 A Time to Keep Awake ***

In line with the above, professor of history Robert Wohl wrote in his book The Generation of 1914: “A historical generation is not defined by its chronological limits . . . It is not a zone of dates.” But he pointed out that World War I created “an overwhelming sense of rupture with the past,” and he added: “Those who lived through the war could never rid themselves of the belief that one world had ended and another begun in August 1914.” How true that is! It focuses on the crux of the matter. “This generation” of mankind since 1914 has experienced appalling changes. It has seen the earth drenched with the blood of millions. Warfare, genocide, terrorism, crime, and lawlessness have erupted worldwide. Famine, disease, and immorality have stalked our globe. Jesus prophesied: “You also, when you [his disciples] see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, This generation will by no means pass away until all things occur.”—Luke 21:31, 32.

but no mention of Luke in this quote

*** w04 2/1 p. 20 par. 9 “The Scene of This World Is Changing” ***

Has “the scene of this world” really changed so much since 1914? In the book The Generation of 1914, Professor Robert Wohl observes: “Those who lived through the war could never rid themselves of the belief that one world had ended and another begun in August 1914.”

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

00DAD - Cedars, not to be disrespectful to your dad in particular--after all, his response is sadly typical of 99% of the R&F Witnesses--but that's really ridiculous!

That is exactly the JW mindset.

1. A friend of mine told my elder cousin-in-law that the Watchtower said the end would be in 1914. He said, "no way would they make such a false prediction". She gave him the Studies references, he drove to the kingdom hall to look it up himself, drove back and said it isn't important because the light gets brighter.
    2. For my mother the Trinity is a big thing. So I rang her late one night, after I found out that JWs used to worship Jesus, thinking that would really offend her. She refused to talk about it, and when I later tried to discuss it with her, she just dismissed me by saying she had reconciled it.

For several years I had a comment on the Slave, saying that it made more sense for it to just represent the GB. I wonder if they were inspired by an apostate rather than by holy spirit.

• nibbled
    nibbled

"Oh, I could see you becoming apostate", my mother said.

That was last summer before the Oct 2012 Annual Meeting change.

I had been trying to explain that there is appointing of the slave, then there is the rewarding of the slave when he returns—if.

Ironically then in October they came out with the new teaching.

My mom was comforted and found it validation that they had addressed my concern.

I could not manage to get anyone in my family to reason, if they have not been rewarded, then they aren't the "faithful" slave, they could be the "evil" slave.

There are many other points to be made, but it requires the ability to think. There is no recogition that even the WT knows that they aren't yet determined as having been "faithful" or "evil". And don't get me start on just how many times does Christ return before he returns?

Ugh.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

jwfacts: For several years I had a comment on the Slave, saying that it made more sense for it to just represent the GB. I wonder if they were inspired by an apostate rather than by holy spirit.

Well, that's certainly the way it's been for all intents and purposes for the last 50ish years, that is that the GB acts in the role of the FDS as portrayed in JW literature.

But it also most certainly has NOT been what they've taught throughout that same time period and it makes an even bigger mess out of their interpretation of Jesus parable than the previous understanding.

Furthermore, how can we have confidence that these guys know what they're talking about concerning other scriptures when they have been wrong about their own identity for the last 93 years?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Beliefs are not a Big Priority in WatchTower World..

Blind Obedience is.. Worship the WBT$ GB Popes..

...............................  mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Great feedback gang.

So a question: ............the new young guy on the GB.......he is NOW officially part of the faithful & discreet slave? ..... Wasn't he REQUIRED to be part of the faithful & discreet slave to even be considered as a potential member of the Governing Body?

LOL

Seriously........they must sit around in Brooklyn and just laugh their a**es off how easy it is .....

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I have to agree with everyone here. i have asked lots of people what they "think" about it. Mostly I get (even from the elders) a kind of stare like it doesn't really matters and who cares anyways. More than a few have said, isn't that what we always taught?

No.......no it is not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit