Is the Truth so delicate?

by Socrateswannabe 32 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Oh, for balance you do need to point out that two distinct rules apply:

1. If you're not a JW and belong to another faith, you need to unemotionally scrutinize your faith. JWs will kindly give you the facts with which to scrutinize your faith. The JWs will tell you: You should have nothing to fear because if your faith is true, it will withstand the scrutiny. You should be grateful to the JWs for helping you see how false your faith is. The JWs will spare no effort in patiently helping you to scrutinze your faith and leaving your faith to become a JW.

2 . If you now become a JW - or are now affiliated with the organization - you need to avoid any scrutiny of the "Truth". Instead, you must humbly allow the elders to scrutinize your questionable motives if you do have any questions or doubts. You must learn to suppress any sort of question or query that could be construed as doubting that the Watchtower Society is God's channel of communication. If you do not suppress your questions or queries, you prove that you are a bad-hearted individual who stands a high likelihood of being accused of apostasy and who risks expulsion.

The JWs have taken you on quite an interesting journey: From directing you to scrutinize your religion when you were not a JW to having the JWs scrutinize your motives for asking questions after you become a JW.

Quite a journey, huh?

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    Is the Truth so delicate ?

And one might ask...Is Jehovah's holy spirit not powerful enough to prevent Satan from misguiding a JW who looks at outside sources while confirming the acuracy of the information presented to him by the Organization ?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I said the following to the 2 elders that met with me.

Truth doesn't change. If it has to change, then it wasn't true to begin with. If it wasn't true to begin with, then it did not come from God. If it did not come from God....then where did it come from?

You should have seen the looks on their faces. Priceless.

Coffee

• jhine
    jhine

Thank you so much to everyone who shed light on the lying issue . I suppose that it does not occur to r&f witnesses that information is kept from them by COs and DOs because they do not NEED to know , and what about information kept from the COs and DOs by the GB because they do not NEED to know . When once a precidence is set and accepted as o.k. does no-one realise how dangerous that can be ? apparantly not .

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, I've known Witneses who used that principle to justify lying to other Witnesses or "worldlies" -- in their mind, if they don't want somebody to know something, then that person is not entitled to the truth, so it's biblically okay!

jhine, I recommend you read the entire article that irondork quoted from: Insight - Lie.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Steve2, well put, it is a total double standard. It's a hallmark of cult mind control that you are discouraged from getting information from any other source. I was told that other religions hate Jehovah's Witnesses, because the WTBTS exposed their false doctrines, so they made up things about them. It's sadly absurd, considering the WTBTS was doing all the lying. And they have totally brainwashed Witnesses to loath and fear "apostates". This word isnt even in the bible, it simply means someone who leaves a religion and speaks out against it. It was eight years after I left before I dared to come to forum, the fear conditioning was that effective.

• jhine
    jhine

Apognophos , ta for your advice . While ironing hubbies shirts I listened to a talk from of one the Telling The Truth ministry team about truth and it has prompted me to state the , wot we Brits call , bleedn obvious :-

Jesus is the Way, the TRUTH and the Life , and knowing the TRUTH will set you free . Just thought that I would throw that in .

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Depends what you mean by truth.

Three RTA or crime witnesses may give three different versions of the truth.

Using leeches to bleed someone with a fever was a true medical practice from the ancient Greeks to about 150 years ago.

The sun orbited the earth until Galileo and Copernicus taught us this truth was wrong.

Many of the things science is teaching us as truth now will be proved false in the next century if not before.

There is no such thing as eternal truth, you can only have that if you believe in a God who knows everthing. So why shouldn't he tell us the truth straight away? Why would he play guessing games?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Truth is not something you have to lie about.

The truth is also not a delicate flower, it stands any scrutiny. The problem for JW's is that both their "truth" and their faith are founded on, and maintained, by lies, no wonder both tumble so quickly when confronted by Truth.

Many Newbies have expressed that the "whole thing came down like a house of cards", that says it all.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

It's funny to see and compare the Watchtower's claims with Jesus's...

John 14:6 Jesus said to him: "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me ."

So Jesus says he is the truth, but the WT not only doesn't acknowledge him when speaking of understanding the bible, but also says they are the only ones through whom 'truth' can be understood:

"Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah's visible organization in mind." Watchtower 1967 Oct 1 p.587

Another point I found on JWFacts.com, was that Jesus says that he is the only way to God, whereas the WT says...

"Through the new covenant, Jehovah makes blessings available to many by means of a few. Those in the covenant are few, a mere 144,000. Through them , millions from all nations will be blessed with everlasting life in an earthly paradise. Some who are in the new covenant serve Jehovah on earth today. They alone properly partake of the bread and the wine because the cup "means the new covenant."" Watchtower 2012 Mar 1 p.17

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit