Is the Truth so delicate?

by Socrateswannabe 32 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

JHine

Theocratic Warfare Strategy = ***w07 2/1 p.6***

Every lie is an untruth, but not every untruth is a lie. Why not? A dictionary defines a lie as “an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive.” Yes, lying includes the intention to deceive someone. Hence, to speak an untruth unwittingly—such as giving someone incorrect facts or figures by mistake—is not the same as to tell a lie.

Moreover, we need to consider whether the person asking for information is entitled to a comprehensive answer. For instance, suppose Manfred had been asked the same questions by an executive of another company. Would Manfred have been obliged to tell him everything? Not really. Since that executive had no right to such information, Manfred would have had no obligation to provide it. Of course, even in this case, it would have been wrong for him to tell a lie.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Truth is not delicate.

People are delicate.

Truth remains the same.

People grow and change.

• pixel
    pixel

Every lie is an untruth, but not every untruth is a lie. Why not? A dictionary defines a lie as “an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive.”

Untrue, 'UN".

I don't know what part of "UN" the GB/FDS/WT doesn't get. Double standard at it best!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    Is the Truth so delicate?

That was the question I asked myself when I heard fellow Witnesses, who I considered to be intelligent, agreeing not to read a certain book because it talked about religion and God in a skeptical light and they were afraid it 'would make them fall out of the truth'. It was years before I would actually read anything apostate and realize how the wool had been pulled over my eyes, but those brothers made me wake up a little and wonder how anyone could be afraid to take in information if they believed they had the truth.

is it true that a witness is allowed to lie when the person asking the question is not entitled to know the answer ie someone outside of the organisation ?

Besides the WT quote above, there's also a scripture which this is based on; something about giving the truth to those who are owed it, but I can't find it right now.

@pixel: The point in that definition that they were emphasizing was "intent". If a person gives wrong information unknowingly, he's not lying. Then, separately after the WT makes that point, they also talk about lying being okay when the truth is not owed someone.

• pixel
    pixel

Thanks Apognophos.

Instead of "lying" or giving false information to "somebody" not entitle, how about just saying: "It's not your business and I ain't talking" like Jesus did so many times?

But no, is bad to lie, but when you do, do it JW-style: lie to the person that is not entitled to know. But it is still a lie!!!!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Lots of good food for thought!

• irondork
  • irondork
    irondork

jhine: Is it true that a witness is allowed to lie when the person asking the question is not entitled to know the answer ie someone outside of the organisation? I have read that somewhere and would like some clarification please .

Insight on the Scriptures

Topic: LIE

(first paragraph, first two sentences)

The opposite of truth. Lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth...

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?-Matt. 24:45, 47.

No, it does not.

Kingdom Ministry 9/07 p. 3 Question Box

We may think of study as hard work, as involving heavy research. But in Jehovah's organization it is not necessary to spend a lot of time and energy in research, for there are brothers in the organization who are assigned to do that very thing, to help you who do not have so much time for this, these preparing the good material in The Watchtower and other publications of the Society.

June 1, 1967 Watchtower Page 338
    Paragraph 12

• Emery
    Emery

The Jehovah's Witness faith, is a fragile faith....its foundation is held up by ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit