Still Waiting For the Governing Body To Explain Their “New Light”

by Cameron_Don 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Listener
    Listener

I think you're right theoldhippie, it is likely that they could have a series of talks about it just as they did at the general meeting. What better way to do it by having a series of talks about themselves at the assemblies. I can already hear the cheers and the praise.

Someone suggested that they are testing out their website by presenting this new teaching on there, it is a way of seeing how readily the r&f are using it.

From the feedback we get here, it is amusing to see how many JWs believed already that the FDS was the GB only. What seems to have gone completely over their heads is all the other changes that have been made to this parable. For example, that the domestics now include the r&f , that the return of Jesus has been postponed to a future date, that the FDS has not been put in charge of Jesus' belongings and this is for a future date. There are a number of other ramifications that needs to be dealt with as well.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

My grandma had a saying: 'Least said. Sooner is mended!'

The GB probably heard her. In other words the GB keep their paedophile protecting gobs shut and it'll all go away!

• cedars
    cedars

I think this WILL appear in an article or series of articles soon. I doubt the Governing Body will miss an opportunity to tell us all how wonderful they are, and why we should give them unquestioned loyalty. That said, I am surprised it is taking them so long to put something in print. Maybe it is taking them longer to tweak the doctrinal smallprint than they first anticipated.

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder if the Writing boys are busily reading all the sites such as this, and the pro-JW ones, to guage the likely flack and objections that will fly their way, and then they will try to spike a lot of guns in the way they present it ?

If so then: "Hello Boys !"............. and good luck with that !

• cedars
    cedars

Phizzy

I wonder if the Writing boys are busily reading all the sites such as this, and the pro-JW ones, to guage the likely flack and objections that will fly their way, and then they will try to spike a lot of guns in the way they present it ?

The Governing Body hasn't traditionally unduly bothered themselves about whether their doctrines make sense or not. They just publish them anyway and demand that everyone believes them. I doubt they will change that approach any time soon! That said, I can understand them dragging their feet a bit on this one. Once the doctrine is etched in stone, they won't be able to get away with doing any major surgery to it for at least a couple of years.

Cedars

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

They're probably waiting for feedback from the illustartion on page 29 of the April 15, 2013 Watchtower.

Also, I'm sure they're waiting for feedback from this board. This thread is actually helping them tweak the articles that will probably appear in the May 15 Kool Aid edition.

• Splash
    Splash

I'm not so sure Cedars:

THE "ALPHA AND OMEGA"OF REVELATION 22:12 Refers to Jehovah God - AWAKE! 8/22/78 p.28
    Refers to Jesus Christ - WT 10/1/78 p.15

This was a pretty big switch in just two months!

Splash

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Valid points but when have they ever been worried about the crowd?

They're always worried about the crowd. If some of the natives are restless, they have to contain or neutralize the situation before unrest spreads. This isn't some minor doctrine. It's a biggie.

When disillusioned Bible Students in the 1920s were questioning chronology, Rutherford printed a series of articles shouting down the dissenters, maligning their character and retrenching the position already found to be flawed.

When the Awake article about piñatas came out a few years back (which we are assured, along with all the articles published, is carefully scrutinized by the GB before publication), it got a lot of attention online. Not too long afterward, a response to a 'Letter From Readers' squashed any ideas that the principle of origin, customs and conscience could apply to birthdays too.

There have been other times where a subject has been a hot topic on the internet and a few months later an article comes out alluding to or 'addressing' some of the points brought out online. Unfortunately, I cannot remember specifics atm, but I remember thinking on occasion, 'Hm, that's spooky.'

When the GB has to continually flex their muscles and beef up their own authority in the eyes of JWs, they are worried.

Now, I'm not asserting that they are waiting for feedback before they cobble together an article or two on the 'new light,' I just said the thought crossed my mind. I wouldn't be surprised if true. Hippie has a good point - maybe they're waiting to unleash it on the DC delegates.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Of interest. Remember, this was soon after the Brooklyn Bethel purge. One of the doctrines being questioned then was, naturally, the FDS one.

*** w81 3/1 pp. 24-26 Do You Appreciate the “Faithful and Discreet Slave”? ***

Especially has the identity of this “slave” become clear at the time of Christ’s return or presence. The “slave” is identifiable by its watchfulness and by the fact that it is faithfully and discreetly providing spiritual food as needed by all in the Christian congregation. Indeed, this “slave,” or spirit-anointed congregation, is the one approved channel representing God’s kingdom on earth in the “time of the end.” (Dan. 12:4) Witnesses of Jehovah understand that the “slave” is comprised of all anointed Christians as a group on earth at any given time during the 19 centuries since Pentecost. Accordingly, the “domestics” are these followers of Christ as individuals.

Some readers may feel that this is a rather sectarian view of matters. Or they may object to the idea that the “slave” and the “domestics” represent the same class, one as a composite body and the other as individuals. The objectors may argue that not all of Christ’s anointed disciples have a share in preparing the spiritual food, so that perhaps the “slave” pictures only the leading ones, and the “domestics” those they serve in the congregation. ...

[The present-day GB has adopted precisely these objections to justify the new 2012 teaching! The ones originally raising the objections in c. '80 were kicked out! ~Ann]

... There is no point in trying to force an interpretation of the parable. Self-deception is of no benefit and is spiritually damaging. Therefore, we must look to the Scriptures for an understanding. In doing this, what do we find? This “slave” is a servant of the Master Christ Jesus and his Father, Jehovah. (Compare Matthew 10:24, 25.) And a servant can be a collective group. In the past, the entire nation of Israel was Jehovah’s servant, or slave. He said to them: “You, O Israel, are my servant.” (Isa. 41:8, 9; 44:21) This one servant was composed of individuals, as Isaiah 43:10 shows in stating: “‘You are my witnesses [plural],’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘even my servant [singular] whom I have chosen, in order that you may know and have faith in me.’” These Israelites of ancient times were Jehovah’s “special property,” a “holy nation.” (Ex. 19:5, 6) Even though not every individual shared in administrating the nation’s affairs, all individuals made up the one people, God’s “servant.” Only a few shared in writing or copying the Holy Scriptures, yet the apostle Paul could say of the people of Israel: “They were entrusted with the sacred pronouncements of God.” (Rom. 3:1, 2) To these belonged the covenants, the Law and the promises. (Rom. 9:3-5) So the entire nation was Jehovah’s collective, or composite, “servant,” while it, at the same time, was made up of individuals, his “witnesses.”

[ ... ]

While alive on earth, Jesus’ faithful apostles were especially responsible for providing spiritual teaching for the “household of God.” Appointed ‘shepherds’ of the “flock,” as well as others, also had similar responsibility. However, the apostle Peter shows that such stewardship of divine truths actually was committed to all the ‘chosen ones.’ Hence, each respective member of the congregation made a contribution to the building up of the body. (Eph. 4:11-16; 1 Pet. 1:1, 2; 4:10, 11; 5:1-3) Thus we see a clear Scriptural basis for saying that all anointed followers of Christ Jesus make up God’s “servant,” with Jesus as its Master. Accordingly, that servant, or “slave,” as a collective body provides spiritual food for all the individuals of this congregation, which make up the household of “domestics.” These individually benefit as recipients of that food.—1 Cor. 12:12, 19-27; Heb. 3:5, 6; 5:11-14.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I still think the bigger issue is that Jesus did not inspect the org in 1918/19... that's a future thing. " Just as Leaving Quietly points out, this is huge... it leaves open the possibility that when the Master makes his determination, he could label them as "Wicked Slave," if the parable is to be interpreted straightforwardly... I just wonder how they're going to address that... probably by ignoring and then stonewalling it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit