Interesting Genetic Research Published on Dog Evolution

by cantleave 227 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

African Dog

Louise's Dog Blog

The first dogs were "camp followers", tolerated but not bred for companionship. For this reason, I think the carb gene came first. Those scavenging dogs with the "carb gene" were the ones who survived on the scraps.

• tec
    tec

No it isn't, its just a made-up notion.

Cofty, I took it straight from a thesaurus. I was speaking only of the word itself.

I did agree that genus and/or species is the proper scientific term.

Peace,

tammy

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Sorry jgnat

I think I posted the wrong link. here's the right one: http://projectcoyote.org/newsreleases/news_eastern.html

• tornapart
    tornapart

Cofty, no they are not the same 'kind'. What human would want to mate with a gorilla or chimpanzee? Far less produce offspring! Regardless of whether science has produced 'evidence' that man and apes come from a common ancestor.

Humans weren't even classified as being in the same family as apes until a few decades ago.

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty, I took it straight from a thesaurus. - Tammy

Why would you do that?

In the context of science there is no such thing as a "kind".

If I start breeding dogs who are better able to digest starch and sugars than most breeds do today and I succeed, does that mean evolution has taken place? - Deputy Dog

Artificial selection is a special case. Dog and pigeon breeding gave Darwin lots of insights into natural selection.

Evolution is the change in the genomes of a population over time. The mutations are random, the differential survival of those mutations is not random.

As changes in an isolated group accumulate you eventually end up with a population that can no longer breed with the descendants of their common ancestor.

When I say "eventually" I mean many hundreds or even thousands of generations.

• jgnat
    jgnat

DD, it would most likely be interbreeding between the red wolf and the coyote, then. If the red wolf population was getting desperately small, interbreeding with the smaller coyote is one way to carry on the "family name".

• cofty
    cofty
    Regardless of whether science has produced 'evidence' that man and apes come from a common ancestor. - tornapart

It has - irrefutable evidence.

Until you have studied it carefully you don't qualify for an opinion.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

As changes in an isolated group accumulate you eventually end up with a population that can no longer breed with the descendants of their common ancestor.

When I say "eventually" I mean many hundreds or even thousands of generations.

I don't think that's what has happened in this case. It remains to be seen in dogs and wolves.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

DD, it would most likely be interbreeding between the red wolf and the coyote, then. If the red wolf population was getting desperately small, interbreeding with the smaller coyote is one way to carry on the "family name".

Maybe one of many ways where wolves, dogs, and coyotes are concerned. Canines are very diverse.

• tornapart
    tornapart

cofty: Until you have studied it carefully you don't qualify for an opinion.

Thanks... I'll keep my mouth shut then....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit