Review of Memorial Talk

by pixel 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was born-in and yet I never realized that the Witnesses teach that Jesus is not a mediator for the normal people. I don't recall Jesus saying that only the 144,000 were included. He could not have b/c the canonical gospels were clearly written before Revelation was composed. I also knew they rejected the Trinity but not that MIchael was Jesus. Perhaps I blocked it out for survival reasons.

What I did learn was antiCatholic venom. My neighorhood was about 99% Roman Catholic. I knew Catholics and saw no venality. Also, I was too young to realize the European wars and the very low status of Catholics in traditional American life. People laugh about their relatives belief in the evil of "popery."

My family was active for generations. There are some Witnesses who truly know the latest interpretions from Brooklyn. I never knew any personally. My KH members could not tell who was the president. There is something wrong with any group's message that focuses more on what it is not than what it is.

I've explained before that this anointed business today is in stark contrast to what it was when I grew up. We believed that only those from Russell's days or perhaps early Rutherford could be remnant members. It was a generational view more than an internal decision. Now the WT states that the internal process is often incorrect. I feared the big A. It seemed closer and closer when my ggf's generation died. I gave it twenty years after his death as the outside date for the big A. The Wt started to teach that members in heaven before the throne of the Lamb fell away. You are not safe even in heaven.

As a kid, I feared my ggf could see me undressing or taking a bath from heaven. It bothered me. Since there was nothing I could to promote privacy and modesty from heaven, I simply accepted it. There is an excellent and funny book of accounts of what young children believe about God.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Armageddon seems much further away now than it did back in the 80s which is crazy because if it was really going to happen it would be 30 years closer now than then and surely we would feel that, but we didn't even when I was in which is why I moved to Spain.

I don't think any-one really believes it is imminenet any more

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've been reading Penton's book. He describes much dissidence to the WT after 1975. May I ask if anyone organized a demonstration to show up at at a somewhat distant KH and partake in large numbers? I wonder why number would trigger a response from elders. Would they call the police? I don't think partaking is creating a disruption and courts do not investigate internal religious disputes.

Of course, it would deeply traumatize ordinary Witnesses. It strikes me as a good idea. A visual statement of belief.

I did not know they stopped talking about the Exodus and the real Passover. The moon was always so huge!

Do they have an explanation for elevating the Last Supper to beiing more important than the day of Christ's death and resurrection. It seems to me that the Last Supper is only impt because it shows Jesus intent shortly before he was seized and tried. Paul wrote of the folly of Christ, the cross. I guess the NWT has torture stake. It seems to me that by highlighting the Last Supper they are ramping up the imptce of apostles and negating his death and resurrection.

Besides DaVinci Last Supper and a few others, most visual represenations of Christianity include the cross/torture stake. I need to walk past the medieval galleries at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to reach the closest ladies room. The place is packed with very disturbing image of Christ, quite dead, on the cross. I read that Protestanism replaced crucifixion scenes with an empty cross to show Christ's victory. Maybe it part of demoting Christ.

Dali, Warhol all painted crucifixion scenes.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I see they are using the expression "new world" again. What happened to the "new order"

i can remember the time when you would get a 'black mark' for using that term!

• blondie
    blondie

Hi ozziepost, the WTS is also using the phrase "new system" more. With all the doomsday thinking, they want to avoid having non-jws think the earth will be destroyed.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I remember listening to a talk about Jesus last days on earth several years ago, on a tape recording. It was apparently an Australian CO giving the talk. It was amazing, the imagery was awesome and apart from the odd cough in the audience and a baby cry, you could have heard a pin drop. They were captivated. It most definitley wasn't an outline talk and I know the tape of it even reached here in the UK. I've often wondered about that CO. If he left and became 'apostate' and joined a christian faith... it wouldn't have surprised me.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

Yes, after almost a decade pioneering and some years as a ministerial servant, I was surprised to find out Jesus is not my mediator according to the Watchtower Co. TM All rights reserved.

It's funny how the word 'mediator' doesn't even appear in the Bible Teach book. I, for one, wasn't told that when I was baptized. I would like to have known. Also funny is how that is not even explained in the Memorial, the night every year when they talk about the New Covenant and they do not want you drinking from the wine and eating from the bread. Hmm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit