Review of Memorial Talk

by pixel 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

"Whatever.. I suggest that the writing department at WTBTS presents the same views. Exchange one cult for another cult. How can anyone respond?

Whatever."

It does begin to sound as if you're in a sad place, Band.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Band on the run:

If you don't believe what I do that's fine. I am not angry because of your beliefs. For the record once I am out for good I will never be part of any organized religion again. They all need to go IMO. I don't believe anything I say is a revelation, just my personal belief. Quite franlky the nice thing about JWN is that we can all give our opinions, and state our beliefs. It is the place to talk about everything after all.

I have zero interest in starting my own WT, or being your boss. I guarantee you my world view is vastly different from the WT, or I would not be here. My view changes everyday, often because I read others beliefs on this site. If you don't believe what I believe that is okay. If you don't believe in a creator, that's ok too. I have absolutely no right to judge anyone else. I don't judge you, but I do want to encourage those who I believe belong to the body of Christ. Not because I feel I have to, but because I want to.

BTW, I am skipping the meeting tonight and watching movies!! Cheers!!

• heathen
    heathen

they are retarded about the memorial , they were encouraged to eat a full meal not just nibble a cracker and have a sip of wine , the WTBTS could have made it into a church supper but apparently they can't do that right . I don't know if actually rejecting the blood and body is really satanic or not but have heard it's what they do in the church of satan . It is funny watching the sanctimonious actually show they aren't worthy after all

• Will Power
    Will Power

I was raised catholic so I witnessed this with my own eyes I have several aunts that still go every day 8am

The serious christians observe and partake communion at a public mass everyday of their lives. They mourn the death & celebrate the resurrection everyday . They don't see Jesus' command as being identified as a once a year thing - he says as often as you do this, do it in memory of me. Each Saturday & Sunday an even more public celebration of the death & resurection is available. The once a year at Easter is what you'd call their big "info-mercial" with all the bible verses that support it! ... but of course there is NO rejection, or class divisions for the baptized, the communion is between you and God.

Whether you believe in god or the bible or not - doesn't it seem like the WT tries to twist the bible with entanglements of its literature about this extra-special dress-up meeting to try and keep their people away from the communion with god so that THEY (WT) stay in the middle.

wp

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

WT tries to twist the bible with entanglements of its literature about this extra-special dress-up meeting to try and keep their people away from the communion with god so that THEY (WT) stay in the middle.

YEP!!! THIS IS TRUE!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't understand why one would fight the WT and still attend Memorial. First, I don't view their Jesus as scriptural or loving. Their Jesus?michael is not worthy of worship. There are so many eucharistic churches out there. Why would I attend something I don't believe?

Memorial was not all bad in my book. It was the one time of year I always received a special outfit to wear. My mom would sew Memorial clothing for countless hours. She took great pride in how we were decked out. It was pure coincidence that normal people wear new Easter clothing.

I was so terrified that an unworthy would touch the emblems. The whole KH had their eyes riveted on the action. They were so afraid. Oh, this weird culture.

Perhaps we could post photos of Memorial outfits. My parents were never in conformity. We drove into Manhattan or took the bus and watched the Easter parade every year. We would peer into St. Patrick's Cathedral to see what the Catholics were doing.

The Eucharist is central to my faith tradition. I could not care less whether Jesus' body is physically there or whether the wine is literally blood. I love Orthodox eucharists. They are so different from the somber Western tradition. Their faces are so radiant and joyous when they partake.

Let us kill one another over the meaning of the Last Supper. What fun! The Witnesses never lied about their view. Of course, it has changed. Now anyone can be anointed. What does it even mean with the recent change in the slave class? What is the point of having a Memorial, except to mimic Easter. I fail to see where Jesus commands to do it once a year. It is funny how they calculae a different date for Passover from the Jews.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I wouldn't worry too much. If someone was all alone, and had no wine, no bread, no calendar, but revered Christ in their heart and belived on him, then IMO they have nothing to worry about. All the bickering over details is divisive, especially in gray areas. IMO it is the motive that counts the most, not the timing, or location, or exact method. The spirit of the law, not the letter. Mercy, not sacrifice. Grace, not works.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    had no wine, no bread

Yet, cannot water be turned to wine? I mean, it's recorded to have occurred at least once before. It's not necessarily the actual product of the vine... or actual bread... but obedience to the command ("He that is faithful in what is least..."). As long as one "discerns the body" and blood... WHEN they eat/drink... WHAT they're eating/drinking isn't important. Unless one does have unleavened bread and wine. In which case...

One way to ensure that one does is to move past the WTBTS' restrictive observance of once per year. Christ said he that eats his flesh and drinks his blood is in union with him. So one only need ask how often does one want to be in such union? Once a year? Twice? Every first Sunday? How often did the Israelites eat the manna and drink from the rock-mass while in the wilderness?

If that bread and rock-mass was Christ then, how often did THEY drink from him? If that bread and rock-mass is Christ NOW... how often SHOULD one eat and drink? Chirst said those who belong to him were not to worry about what they would eat, because God already knows what they need. What, then, is the DAILY BREAD he taught his followers to pray for?

Exodus 16:21; Matthew 6:11, 25, 31, 32; John 6:48, 55; 1 Corinthians 10:3, 4

Just sharing. May those who wish be given ears to hear and get the sense of what's shared here... as well as to hear the Spirit and Bride when they say to such one:

"Come! Take 'life's water'... FREE!"

Peace!

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• tec
    tec

I fail to see where Jesus commands to do it once a year.

I fail to see this also. Paul's words seem to contradict that this is done just once a year as well. The example of the Israelites and the manna (a daily thing), combined with Christ saying that HE is the true bread that comes down from heaven, rather than the manna; also does not imply a once a year thing.

Peace,

tammy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I like the Eucharist. It is something shared. I was taught that no one is ever excluded from it. In NYC, Moslems and other faiths have been in line for communion and welcomed. Indeed, it was between God and the person. No human can interfere with any other human's participation. There is communal strengrth in sharing Jesus' body and blood. It has a pscychological impact.

I don't believe Jesus ever commanded that we do it. It seems strange to me that anyone would be excluded for not doing. During the English religious wars, people were burned at the stake for standing or kneeling during prayer.

The WT obviously does not believe many are called. There seems to be no difference in status between anointed in the Witnesses and ordinary members. I wonder what attracts people to a belief where so many are excluded. I always felt for the babies and untold billions who would die at Armageddon. Indeed, I can still see the horrific pictures in that orange Paradise Lost book.

I have attended seders with both Jews and Christians present. There is something special about a shared meal. One of the draws of weekly Eucharist is the food at the coffee hour and all the church potluck suppers. It is very nice. Paul was very serious about agape meals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit