My questions for YOU

by Terry 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

1. As far as UFOs go, I think the physics rule out any visitors to our blue ball. Before I have to go through a speed of light discussion with someone. It is impossible for a carbon based life form to travel even close to the speed of light.(from our frame of reference It gets a little complicated outside of that, but for us the only frame of reference we have is our own.) The gravitational and electro forces would make space warping impossible. Do I think we could get a spacecraft to go close the speed of light absolutely.....Not!!!!!!!!! So even unmanned spacecraft are out of the question. Gliese 581 C is over 20 light years away. It is the only planet we have found that might be able to keep water in a liquid state. Water is the bastion of life as we know it. How far away is that? Well, if we convert it to km it is 1.89x10 14 km. Lets look at some history. The fastest man made object ever build was a satellite built almost forty years ago to study the sun. We launched it from earth and sent it to the sun on an elliptical orbit. This is important be cause as the object orbits closer to the sun it is able to use its kinetic energy relative to the sun. Earth is a long way from the sun. The sun's gravitational force pulls the object closer and accelerates it at amazing numbers. We used the Earth relative position to pull the satellite into a very high velocity. In other words, we cheated. If we had to leave the gravitational pull of the sun we would have to fight this force. All said and done , we achieved about 70 km/s top velocity. Lets say we had a huge leap in technology. One that is mind boggling and we build a craft to maintain .1c (30,000km/s) . If we were to make the trip at this velocity it would take us nearly 199years to reach this planet. (frame of reference is important here the 199 years is how long the space ship would travel for a person on earth watching the spacecraft travel. The people on the space craft would make the journey in 199.8 years) And thats not counting years of accelerating and decelerations. If the acceleration was slow it could take thousands of years. If we accelerated at 10 gs it would take us 95 years to achieve this velocity. I don't think you could live more than a few hours under this amount of force, much less 95 years. It would be impossible to raise three generations under these extreme conditions. Could you imagine mateing and childbirth? I could figure out what acceleration we have achieved with man made objects and multiply that by 420 just like I did velocity, but I don't really want to work out the integral for the trip using acceleration and deceleration this morning. Lets just say it is no easy feat changing velocities that quick moving away from the sun. Could a group of people spend thousands of years away from earth? Even If we used multiple generations, where is the energy for environmental control going to come from? Energy for operating the growing and sustaining the generations? If there was a 1 in 100,000 chance of contacting space debris per day there is a great chance the space craft will be destroyed. How are we going to protect the craft from corrosion over great times and extreme conditions like these? We won't have a mine to get metals from. So to answer the first question. Yes, there may be life in our Universe besides us, but No, we will never see it.

1. Psychic powers!!!!!! Please... There are only 4 know fundamental interactions in the Universe Gravitational, Electromagnetism, Strong nuclear, and Weak Nuclear. Also known as non contact forces. The nuclear forces don't work in a macro environment either. Show me someone tie Psychic powers to one of these forces and I will be a believer. Please don't post some fringe "scientist" research on this subject. The nicest word I can come up with is quack to describe these individuals. (The scientist not the believers. I don't care what people believe in)
    2. Conspiracy theories, Kinda...... Do I think the government hides things from citizens for the betterment of the government. Yes, I do. Do I think something as complex as a multiple target attack involving the deaths of thousands of people could be kept a secret? No, too many people like to talk.

4.Religion. This is where I pull away from main stream science. I was in my house while I was in school watching tv. I flipped thorough the channels and I saw my Department head preaching on the local church channel. I was flabbergasted. This was a guy who had multiple Phds from Duke. I thought how could he believe in God. I wanted to but couldn't anymore. I came from a cult background and thought it was all hooey. So one day, I was working on a project for this guy and asked him how was he religious when he had the knowledge he did. He looked at me with a smile. I think he could see how serious and perplexed I was by all this and said, "You can't always be an absolutist there will be things you don't and won't understand." and walked away. I thought about his words for years. I didn't fully understand them until I had my first child. The first time I held her I knew there was magic in the Universe. I couldn't measure it, describe it, or quantify it with any known means, but it was there staring me right in the face.

Everybody is different. I think if your belief interest you or helps you accept conditions you can't control the idea is a good thing. Sometimes it's nice to have a little magic.

• tiki
    tiki

I believe the loch ness monster exists - also sasquatch. i think they are very furtive and that loch ness has underground tunnels through which he/she swims to the open sea. i further expect that there are yet species that remain unseen/undiscovered on planet earth.

i believe the universe is ever-expanding and there is a possibility of life elsewhere. why would a creator with endless powers stop with planet earth and living physical creatures just there? but then, there is the argument that this is just a start, an "experiment" if you will.....

ufo's, no...the us military creates some pretty absurd things and tests them out - every now and then they are sighted and a big ufo craze erupts.

conspiracy theories - yes....skull and bones, new order....there's a major plot hatched and in process....most likely.

i do not argue any of these things in any way shape or manner. they may or may not have credence, but some seem to me to fit reality.

psychic powers, esp? i think we all have capabilities we haven't harnessed yet. intuition is definitely there, and there are occasions where you just have a gut feeling that something is going to happen, or that something isn't the wisest choice and you end up being right. it could be bred of coincidence and past events in your subconscious, but then it also could be something further. and deja vu......is it really subconscious?

then - when physical beings die, their energy is released and flows back to the universe. energy is indestructible - it is and remains. so do i possess the energy of a crow or a raven that lived in medieval times? do i recall pecking dead rabbit pelts for meat in my life as a crow? did my cat that died at 18 really come back and sit in the pinetree mocking me in her new owl's body? i can get very imaginative about this stuff.....

• Greybeard
    Greybeard

The older I get, the less I know... as a JW I found comfort "knowing the truth"...

I still believe in Christ but to be honest, my faith has grown weak. I thought I was on to something when I watched a video claiming the Egyptian god Horus has 12 apostles, was born on Dec 25, etc etc... Then it turns out there was no proof of that!

I am a seeker of truth. I enjoy reading what you write Terry. Defianttruth you made some good points too.

I pray ALL the time asking for holy spirit and guidance. For some reason I keep running into Budists and I really do like much of what they believe. A JW would tell you the demons cause me to run into Budists right?

I do believe there are other realities. Other relmes where the laws of the universe are different. I also believe some kind of force, God or higher power or whatever, has kept us from blowing ourselves to kingdom come on this planet but who knows...

What is hard for me to live with is not knowing because as a JW, I had all the answers. I wish I could just start over with a clean slate but I can't erase all the JW programing. Its like a virus inside me.

Like Defianttruth wrote about having a child... That is magic.

The older I get, the less I know...

For those of you who now me, here is an update, my wife is still gone. Its been about 4 months now. The WT/elders still have not responded to my letter and I don't think they ever will to be honest. We shall see... My wife was the love of my life. We were soul mates I thought... Now this crazy man made religion has taken everything from me. Family, business... everything. I'm broke, depressed and barly hanging on but I still have not drank in 2.5 years and I go to AA. I have found most of these "worldly" people really do care, unlike what I was taught as a JW. If it were all up to them, God would have killed all but those who support the GB. They have tried to kill me but I'm still kicking ;)

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

Can't there simply be things WE JUST DON'T KNOW? That being said, how did Bigfoot not make the list? pic of bigfoot

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, I believe the children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way!

Michael Masser-from the film THE GREATEST-later covered by Whitney Houston

• Terry
    Terry

Surely you folks believe Elvis is still with us!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't believe in anything, i.e trust that it is true, without solid proof. I am an open minded skeptic, so I say, just give me the proof, otherwise it is all just possibilities.

Except one on your list. ESP and Psychic powers. Now I know there have been all sorts of charlatans claiming all sorts of rubbish in this field, but that don't mean there ain't some people that do have "powers"

I have some freinds who are Romani (some people call them Gypsys or worse, they do not like that word or anything but Romani) not all of them, but a few have the "powers", the instances I have seen have never been used for profit or gain, simply that the person knows something by some means that we do not understand. They do not make a big show of it, and seem to take it as a normal part of life, a talent they have that others, often their siblings, do not.

But it is not a scam or a fraud.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are thought of in your philosophy Horatio".

• scotoma
    scotoma

UFO's: I have always been a science nerd. Einstein is the closest thing to a hero for me. I understand the importance of witnesses to events as a means of establishing validity to claims. I paid close attention to events that involved multiple witnesses. But, because I couldn't duplicate anomalous experiences the so called personal reports never got to the level of belief for me. UNTIL... my family and neighbors actually witnessed a UFO. I combed the neighborhood for other witnesses because I didn't want to just trust my own and other family members judgement. Altogether I found 3 neighbors that witnessed the same thing. Also a friend who lived 3 miles away witnessed the same event on the same night. As it turned out that night was one of the busiest nights for UFO sightings all over the world up to that point in time (NUFOR report).

So, I have become a believer in UFO's. I don't believe in all UFO reports. I only believe the ones that are similar to what I experienced. I don't believe in the anal probing abductions reports that are retrieved through hypnosis. I also don't believe in reports that are witnessed by only one person.

Do I believe these are visitors from planets in our physical universe. It depends on what you consider our physical universe. No I don't believe it is likely that they have traveled millions of light years. Instead, I believe it is possible to jump dimensionally. The behavior of the craft we witnessed suggested some sort of coordinate linking up with a kind of beam to energize the jump.

Do I believe anyone should believe my story? No. But, judging from the total picture of half-way credible reports I believe there will one day be some kind of ongoing contact.

Conspiracy theories are conjured up by the same mentality that believes in God. People want to believe that someone is in control. God. Secret Societies. Satan. Even the concept of "free-will" is an illusion that emerges from the idea that there are agents who control. We have no soul or little man inside that's pushing the buttons. And there is no big man outside the universe who is in control.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Duplicate Post Ignore

• Defianttruth
    Defianttruth

I got to thinking about the 95 years of acceleration for 10gs I did that math in my head. I reworked it on paper and its .9g for 1 year. I should be more carefull. Scotoma: The problem with a warp is it would be impossible for matter to go through with out being destroyed. The gravitaional and electo forces would be stagering. Not to mention the theromdynamic probems with being in a warp. How long could one last at -450f. its around 57,000,000 btu/hr of heat flow for 1 inch of 1000ft 2 of aluminum. That would be one cold space ship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit