Swine Flu shots and Narcolepsy

by designs 50 Replies latest social current

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I get a flu shot every year since 1996. I had the non-active swine flu shot when it came out. How many people would die from the flu verses the side effects from a shot? Anti-vaccine comments sit like anti-blood transfusion comments with me.

Birth control pills have side effects of stroke, blood clots, and death. But, so does pregnancy. In fact, my niece had major blood clots following her birth and spent a week in ICU and almost a year on blood thinners (mega stroke risk). She didn't use birth control pills and got pregnant. Now, she can't use birth controls and can't get pregnant. Both would be life threatening for her. I told her to join the nuns.

Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons and decide for themselves. Some people will get caught up in hysteria. That is their decision. Just don't cough on me or complain when you get sick.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, I wouldn't place too much value on Yahoo news, they often have articles of dubious merit there. But the flu shot at most keeps the flu from being really bad for many people; it doesn't prevent you from getting sick, though it provides protection for most of the strains of flu out there, or so I've been told by CDC people in biosuits after signing a waiver and notifying my next of kin [sarcasm]. Can't complain about getting sick, people get sick every day, and as much as we want to avoid it, we can't.

Even the CDC acknowledges some minor risk of side effects from the flu shot. So there is a risk. Don't be like Tarkin. "I think you overestimate their chances!" Get the flu shot. Die anyway from unrelated health problem.

--sd-7

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

Lol Moshe. My hubby has the flu jab because he works with vulnerable adults, all the people he works with on the team have them every year and other friends we know and family and all are ok.

• talesin
    talesin

Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons and decide for themselves. Some people will get caught up in hysteria. That is their decision. Just don't cough on me or complain when you get sick.

Well, some of us do not like being part of the big experiment that is pharmaceutical medicine ... NSAIDs that eat holes in your stomach (yep, at 20 I was vomiting blood, thanks Pharma) ... oh, and who can forget the wonderful anti-nausea 'miracle' drugs of the 50s (thanks again for the DES given my mom that meant I had to have uterine cancer treatments at 30) ..... oh, and let's not forget that wonderful SSRI, Paxil - want the scoop? Just google it ... did I mention the miracle painkiller OXYCONTIN, that was touted by both pharma and medicine as not being addictive?

Save your little sarcasms for the less-informed.

Oh, and by the way, if it's airborne, you don't have to 'cough' to spread it.

tal

• caliber
    caliber

Talesin sounds like you have more than enough reasons for not trusting pharmaceuticals... so sorry

(((((((((((((((((((( Talesin ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Many here seem to think that "taking one for the team" is the unselfish thing to do

but what if there are long term problems for yourself that may effect the quality of your life forevermore ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AazObF_pHSU

'

• talesin
    talesin

Tx, caliber - I would just like people to use their brains and not be so easily led by the medical establishment. Nowadays, it's really all about the money.

If I had taken painkillers when I injured my foot, I would now be an addict. meh As it is, I went through 3 years of agony, misdiagnosis and betrayal. But, thanks to the help of a gifted osteopath who saw me FOR FREE (not an MD in Canada), I can at least walk again with minimal pain.

tal

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I had a very bad allergic reaction to a drug. It was called "drug induced lupus" and "serum sickness." The drug that I took is the absolute least likely to cause this type of reaction, but I got it. THe drugs more likely to cause it, I take and don't get a reaction. You don't see me "bad-mouthing" the drug I had a problem with and telling others to not use it. I guarantee almost everyone on this board has taken this little sucker of a pill, with no problems at all. The doctors shake their head when I tell them about it. "No one is allergic to that drug, it's the least likely of all to have a reaction . . . "

Yes, there are some "bad" drugs that Big Pharma has touted. But, there are millions of people getting flu shots (and polio, shingles, shots, etc) and only a few reactions. So, I don't put a flu shot in the same category as the problem drugs.

The outcome of my allergic reaction, I found out that I have a low immune system. Certain drugs almost everyone on this board has taken when they get a cold/flu, will cause me to have severe problems for months. My joints fill up with fluid, I am a super high stroke risk, I can't walk or ever turn a car key without screaming in pain (more then childbirth). A flu shot keeps me from getting sick in the first place, so I don't get pnemonia (which I always used to get), and then have to take super fancy drugs to cure the pnemonia, which causes an allergic reacion, which then I land in the emergency room with a 225/180 blood pressure, screaming in pain, getting Demoral shots in the ass, followed by 85 mg of prednisone a day or 10 mg of dexamethasone for 6+ months. You haven't had a full pharma experience until you take 85 mg of prednisone a day. It's a mind and body altering drug at that level. But, it keeps the allergic reaction down enough so I can walk, drive, and not have a stroke.

If you don't want a flu shot, then don't get it. If you are strong enough to get the flu and survive it, then don't take the flu shot. But, if you get real sick from the flu, expect that a little antibiotic pill just might send you down a road to hell. Simple.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

For those (like me) who don't always trust Yahoo News, that article was actually printed word for word from Reuters.

You can find exactly the same report on the Reuters website:

- Even I, who is by no means a computer geek, found it easily enough by just Googling "Kate Kelland, Reuters, UK"

While I would put little trust in the popular media (whether in the printed form, or the electronic), Reuters is almost always a reliable news source. (The writer of that article, Kate Kelland, is the Health and Science Correspondent for Reuters).

Bill.

• cofty
    cofty

Why does it often seem to be that attitudes to medicine are so black-and-white?

Of course the pharmaceutical industry is motivated by money. Yes there are lots of bad things that can be said about it.

The fact is that previously very few of us would have lived past what is now middle-age without it.

Millions of children died of illnesses that are now very rare because of immunisation programmes. Some of those illnesses are on the rise again as a direct result of scare-mongering.

If you inoculate millions of people a percentage will get sick, a few will die.

There may be a real problem with this vaccine but lets keep it in perspective.

• caliber
    caliber

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the 2009-2010 pandemic killed 18,500 people, although a study last year said that total might be up to 15 times higher.

While estimates vary, Stiernstedt says Sweden's mass vaccination saved between 30 and 60 people from swine flu death. Yet since the pandemic ended, more than 200 cases of narcolepsy have been reported in Sweden

So let's say 60 deaths were (in theory ) saved ....but 200 cases of narcolepsy happened

Is this a net loss or net gain ? a net loss of 140 lives changed forever

Emelie's parents, Charles and Marie Olsson, say she was a top student who loved playing the piano, taking tennis lessons, creating art and having fun with friends. But her life started to change in early 2010, a few months after she had Pandemrix. In the spring of 2010, they noticed she was often tired, needing to sleep when she came home from school.

But it wasn't until May, when she began collapsing at school, that it became clear something serious was happening.

As well as the life-limiting bouts of daytime sleepiness, narcolepsy brings nightmares, hallucinations, sleep paralysis and episodes of cataplexy - when strong emotions trigger a sudden and dramatic loss of muscle strength.

This poor girl's life is forever changed ... but it is much less to worry about than death right ?

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/insigh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVUV3pKz_I

'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit