The "Pop-In"

by Mr. Falcon 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

So last night the wife is working, the kids are getting ready for bed and I'm watching Futurama.

Doorbell rings. Now it's dark, snowing and I live on a back road, so it's very odd to have a visitor. The dog is going NUTS. I answer the door, it's a JW elder. We haven't been to the meeting in over a year now. He wants to set up a time when him and the PO can come over for a shepherding call.

I gave him the runaround and will probably send him a message telling him to not bother, but it made me wonder about something.

It seems like to me that only JWs do the unannounced "pop-in" visit. Since I've been out in the real world with non-JWs, nobody does this! Even the biggest non-JW jerks I know wouldn't dare just stop by without calling first or whatever. JW's seem to just feel comfortable showing up out of the clear blue and expecting you to drop everything and invite them in.

Your thoughts please.

also - how DARE you interrupt my Futurama!!!!!

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

You're right - only JWs would be so rude. We used to do it all the time while out in FS - pop in on someone and ask to use their bathroom. During months when I wasn't aux pioneering I would always make sure my bathroom was clean before 10:30 a.m, just in case.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

You're right - only JWs would be so rude. We used to do it all the time while out in FS - pop in on someone and ask to use their bathroom. During months when I wasn't aux pioneering I would always make sure my bathroom was clean before 10:30 a.m, just in case.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

haha yup! the ole Bathroom Break Pop-In. What am I? a gas-station restroom?

why do they do it? what makes them feel so entitled so as to just march into someone's house?

I remember one A-hole just "popped-in" when we were having guests over. we were cooking dinner and they just invited themselves in for a plate. WTF? Honestly, if they tried that now I would tell them to get the FACK out, but back then we were still active, confused and didn't know any better. But I remember afterwards we were thinking to ourselves, "That's kinda messed up."

• ndmom73
    ndmom73

Those pop-ins were always the worst. Thankfully has never happed to me as an adult but I remember as a child how horrible they were. My mother was (and is) a complete neat freak. Our family of 5 lived in a small trailer so I am sure you can imagine how hard it was to keep everything pefectly in place. Once I let an elder in who stopped over to "use the restroom" while going door-to-door. I was in 6th grade and home alone caring for my younger sister and infant brother. I don't think the house was that messy but when my mom came home and found out she was livid. That was probably one of the worst spankings/beatings I ever received. I guess she didn't understand that my fear of ignoring an elder at the door was worse than my fear of her wrath.

Thankfully those days are far behind me! I do attend a Lutheran church with my children and sometimes I just don't feel like going. We have missed months at a time and not once has anyone stopped over to see why we aren't attending and thankfully I don't ever have to worry that someone is going to just knock on my door to use my restroom. The best part, when we go back to church, there are no questions or judgements, we just jump back in like we never left.

• jw07
    jw07

You're right Mr. Falcon, my 'worldly' friends, relatives etc CALL BEFORE they come, or at least knock when they are at the gate. JWs tend to just barge right in.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

ndmom73 - Damn, that's horrible. Not to mention rather inappropriate for an elder to be entering a house of a 6th grader with no adults around.

jw07 - haha they just assume that you're going to pull up a chair for them, cook them a meal, fix them a drink and cancel the rest of your evenings plans.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Some elders can be sneaky upon reaching people in their congregation they haven't seen in awhile

thinking in their minds "A Ha ! we caught you doing something ".

They think they are social moral police and they're conducting themselves as private investigators.

Some will be respectful toward people and phone first when they are intending to make a visit, some wont.

They place a value on surprise and use it toward their advantage.

The power of god (Police) is in their hands now, so be aware, they certainly are.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there Mr. Falcon

When I started wakin' up . The Elders give me a couple POP -ins

around 7:00 pm If I can recall

Haven't had a visit from nobody in a long while

Maybe they didn't like the food I fed 'em

don't know why. It was food straight from brooklyn

Hey, have you heard from Sweetbabycheezits ? say hello for me

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

They know better than to ever try that with me, again. Years ago they would ring and ring and ring. Sorry, if I don't expect you and if you don't have the sense to call before coming, I don't answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit