How do apocolytpic cults start?

by EntirelyPossible 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tec
    tec

Another HUGE warning sign is when the potential converts or interested people suddenly start displaying group think.

Group think can be misleading, yes. Majority does not make right... sometimes the loudest simply get heard the most. Or... 'that many people can't be wrong'... is applied, which is also a fallacy. Group hate or group disdain would be a huge warning sign too, imo.

At the same time, some who see the same things might also seek out others who see the same. And some who share the same faith, might seek out others who also share the same faith.

One should probably be certain they KNOW the difference, rather than imposing their judgment.

No one should follow another person. Especially not one who says that they should, or that their lives and the lives of their loved ones depend upon you listening to and following them. Beware of people who say such things; including people who say that they are the mediator between you and God (or even you can Christ).

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

sometimes the loudest simply get heard the most...tec

True.

No one should follow another person....tec

AMEN to that

Beware of people who say such things; including people who say that they are the mediator between you and God..tec

Absolutely...

Couldn't agree more...and I would add...people who claim to have special insight, or contact, or know what god wants, or start talking about dooms day stuff...THAT is a BIG RED FLAG!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Agreed, tec, when a group starts to hate in unison after a leader in the group starts to hate, also a sign.

Certainly people seek out like-minded people. For instance, I seek out other heavy metal fans, and we sometimes introduce each other to different band, but there is not events like "I heard the voice of Lemmy in a vision telling me Syria and Iran will attack Israel with dirty bombs" and suddenly all of us start hearing it, or someone saying "there is a hidden message god told me to tell you to find if you play 'Last Caress' at the same time as 'Nativity in Black', and that message is that I am a slave of christ delivering messages directly from the Lord" and suddenly we all start hearing it.

"Like-minded" is nothing like what happens when an apocolytpic cult forms. The groupthink fashioned after the leader, the warnings of doom, insualtion from family and former friends....that's when the danger starts.

• cofty
    cofty

A common feature is for those who take the lead in an embryonic cult to make increasingly outlandish claims to test the loyalty and gullibility of the followers.

Any dissent is politely put down by group pressure and more and more people offer similar claims for which they receive praise and group approval. A facade of openness to criticism often remains.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

One of the interesting things about the Branch Davidians is the misconception that David Koresh claimed to BE Christ. Reading up on the matter, he claimed to be a special envoy of Christ, speaking with the authority and voice of Christ. He changed his name from Vernon Howell to David Koresh, koresh being a transliteration of the name of Cyrus, the king who allegedly freed the Jews. Koresh claimed to be God's slave, claimed the gift of prophecy, then begin to elevate himself to leader through interpretation, revelation and gaining converts.

It's quite the fascinating story.

• tec
    tec

Maybe you guys (still and ep) should just stop pretending not to be talking about a certain group... ... and I will too.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Better yet... just continue on your own...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

LoL, took you long enough to make a connection. Why is that? It is a fascinating topic tho'.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Maybe you guys (still and ep) should just stop pretending not to be talking about a certain group... ... and I will too.

Huh? I am talking about all the groups mentioned in the OP. If you feel particularly stung by a list of features of the Branch Davidians, all I can recommend is skeptical and critical thinking before continuing with them.

Are you part of a group exhibiting these behaviours?

• still thinking
    still thinking

What are you referring to tec...I'm not a mind reader. Please clarify and stop accusing me of 'pretending' what is that based on?. Thanks

I thought we were talking about how apocolyptic cults start?

Do you disagree with what I have said?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit