What is your daily commute, and how long does it take you

by coffee_black 43 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My drive is about 3 minutes to work ,and then for work I drive approx.30 in the morning and 30 miles in the afternoon driving school bus .In the in between time I work at a shop downtown part time ,another 3 minute drive . I too live in a small town population 6,000. My husband drives into the nearest bigger town for work 22 miles away .

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Hi Coffee

Mine is 13 miles each way and takes 45 minutes. English winding country roads.

Today it took one and a half hours to get home become it's snowing heavily and there is no sign of any gritting lorries.

When I got home feeling very sorry for myself I checked my emails and I have had one from Save the Children with an emergency appeal for Syria. Chilldren whose families have fled the war are sleeping on the cold ground in the snow in just the thin clothes they fled in!

I have nothing to complain about!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

8 miles ... about 45 minutes on a typical weekday morning.

Rub a Dub

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Xanthippie said

When I got home feeling very sorry for myself I checked my emails and I have had one from Save the Children with an emergency appeal for Syria. Chilldren whose families have fled the war are sleeping on the cold ground in the snow in just the thin clothes they fled in!

So true. A few years ago, my grandson (then 14) walked from Orlando Fl to Washington DC during his summer vacation to call attention to homeless children in the US. There are far more of them than you could imagine. He stopped at shelters along the way and got to meet many in that situation, and brought that experience to DC, where he met with some senators and congressmen to try to change things. I got to share some of that with him. I will never forget that. You are so right. We have so much to be grateful for.

Coffee

• finally awake
    finally awake

My commute varies depending on the cases I'm working on. This week, Monday was 13 miles/20 minutes, Tuesday was 48 miles/1 hour, Wednesday was 30 seconds to walk downstairs, Thursday was 55 miles/1.25 hours, and today was another 30 second trip downstairs. Next week will mostly be 15 miles/20 minutes. I don't mind anything less than 45 minutes, but I really don't like longer drives. There is virtually no public transportation where I live.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Twenty feet to my home office, retired, My time is spent on doing what I prefer to do so I am involved with volunteer work, fishing or our grand kids. My wife also volunteers.

We are both artists so we do the occasional gallery or museum exhibition.

The town....actually it's a city, Lexington VA. has a population of 7,000 with two colleges and about 2300 students. I can walk to all of the shops, schools, four libraries and 14 restaurants in 5 to 10 minutes. Making eye contact with people I pass on the street is expected and not viewed as a hostile act. Beeping your horn while driving....is. People are friendly and interesting. We have a military college and university so the people I work and socialize with have MFA but mostly PhD's. I myself passed all of that up to pioneer......... foolish boy.

I often chair meetings where I am the only person with just a high school education. Their attention to my contributions, opinions and ideas always surprises me though I keep that reaction to myself.

This is what retirement should be......effortless.

• cedars
    cedars

I have to negotiate a stairway and four doorways (in total) before I arrive at my desk, which is my place of work. If I decide to make a coffee en-route (via the kitchen), this journey is extended to five doorways.

By the way, what constitutes "work" is more confusing than it once was. There is the paid work for my business, and the unpaid work for JWsurvey (and dealing with JW-related matters as they arise). I would love to ditch the paid work and focus entirely on the JW-related stuff, but for obvious reasons I can't do that. Hopefully, if I manage to become a published author, some day soon that might change.

Cedars

• simon17
    simon17

8 miles ... about 45 minutes on a typical weekday morning.

If you were in really good shape you could run it in that amount of time. What horrible traffic!

Mine it about 25 minutes each way...

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

To the office is 60 km each way and usually takes me 45 min. I ride my motorcycle in the summer and I take the back roads. I often travel by plane and my longest fllight is 16.5 hours to Asia...but typically 4 hour flights.

• JeffT
    JeffT

About 3 feet, from the bed to the computer desk. I'm in the same boat as Cedars, I get paid for some of what I do, and hope to get paid in the future for other parts, like writing fiction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit