Clapping at the meetings and assembly

by NewYork44M 51 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I had a random thought this morning about clapping. Growing up in the wt culture I learned the proper protocol for clapping. Before the assembly speaker gave his talk, but not after. Public talk speakers received an applause after the talk, but not before. TMS students would not get an applause unless it was the first talk or it was one of those really dumb kids and everyone was trying to encourage him. There are probably other rules that I have forgotten.

So, given the unwritten rules (or are they written), my random thought centered on what is it about the wt culture that drived applause related decisions. Also, has there been any new light related to applause that I have missed in the past 20 years?

• cantleave
    cantleave

They are certainly letters in the BOE policies file that discuss applause during baptism talks, memorials etc.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I liked the clapping. It told me it was over and time to go home

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Wasn't there a letter or Wt article indicating it was inappropriate to clap when a reinstatement announcement was made?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I do remember that. People used to clap for that

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Iliked the clapping. It told me it was over and time to go home

I think that is why there was applause after the final prayer at an assembly.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Clapping used to wake me up and let me know it was time for the next bit of the meeting.

• blondie
    blondie

Or the clapping at certain spots in a talk at a convention/assembly where the speaker paused signally now was the time. It was not spontaneous. I would not clap and would get the evil eye from some.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

The odd thing is "clapping" is supposed to be spontaneous appluase right? A formal and polite way for the crowd to show their appreciation for whatever just happened on the stage. Yet, even the WTBS can find away to suck the life out of the simplest of things.

• Eustace
    Eustace

Wasn't there a letter or Wt article indicating it was inappropriate to clap when a reinstatement announcement was made?

Yes:

*** km 2/00 p. 7 Question Box ***

Question Box

? Is it appropriate to applaud when a reinstatement is announced?

In his loving-kindness, Jehovah God has provided a Scriptural way for repentant wrongdoers to regain his favor and achieve reinstatement in the Christian congregation. (Ps. 51:12, 17) When this takes place, we are encouraged to confirm our love for such sincerely repentant ones.—2 Cor. 2:6-8.

Even so, as joyful as we are when a relative or acquaintance is reinstated, a quiet dignity should prevail at the time that the person’s reinstatement is announced in the congregation. The Watchtower of October 1, 1998, page 17, expressed matters this way: “We must remember, however, that most in the congregation are not aware of the particular circumstances that led to a person’s expulsion or to his reinstatement. In addition, there may be some who have been personally affected or hurt—perhaps even on a long-term basis—by the wrongdoing of the repentant one. Being sensitive to such matters, therefore, when an announcement of reinstatement is made, we would understandably withhold expressions of welcome until such can be made on a personal basis.”

Although we are very happy to see someone return to the truth, applause at the time of his or her reinstatement would not be appropriate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit