Clapping at the meetings and assembly

by NewYork44M 51 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Yet you were referring to a entirely different matter. It is not important

Please provide post to back up your words

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Band on the run, you stated: control of WTBTS is shown by the fact that they must regiment clapping. Isn't it all about control. When ever an organization can control how you express joy, the goal of control has been attained.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

At one time there was no clapping at the end of DC's here in the U.K. But one time the blowhard speakers had gone way overtime, so this dear old C.O who was assigned the final prayer decided the families had had enough, and he simply said as his prayer :

"Thank you Jehovah for a lovely day " , without thinking I clapped that one, not for the sentiment, but for the humility shown by the brevity of the prayer, my wife told me to stop clapping, but soon all the audience had joined in.

It was several years later it became a general thing to do, at the end of each day.

By then the huge ego guys were back giving a quarter hour long prayer, idiots, they should have learned from that C.O (Ernie Beevor ??).

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I went to nearly a half dozen JW devivals and I could never figure out the cue for clapping. It was obvious during the drama at the end of an act, I got that, but the clapping that erupted mid talk was confusing to me, and it felt tacky to clap in the middle of a spiritual talk, as if it were some kind of entertainment.

I never clapped for anything, I was just there observing. That turned out to be a good thing, as I might have been exposed to a dose of spiritual clap had I not been so careful.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses Governing Body has created a Watchtower Jesus and gets applause people clap for them

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Expect some new light on clapping, they would hate for the friends really clap with out thier say so. The Governing Body's interest in not giveing too much honor by clapping at an un approved time keeps any rivals to thier authoriy at bay.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Most annoying was when the speaker would "force" the applause with sentences like :

"Aren't we glad that Jehovah ..." or " Isn't it wonderful that the slave has... "

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

It would make things a lot easier if they just started using signs.

JW's are much more comfortable when told what is appropriate, when it is appropriate, and to what degree.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The patern seeking processes even in the most heavily indoctrinated JW mind still works and so they pretty much clap on que. Some slow learning Newby it might take a few meetings, with hardly a quick tutorial from the elders they will master the learned behavior with quicker and quicker response times, thus marching in step with Jehovah's great visible organization and dictates of the Governing Body.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

O I just remembered that the last couple of years I was a witness I could clap pretty loud and had some rhythm goin on and so i would try clapping triplets and long beat short beat paterns off of the clap clap rhythms at different halls and assembles boy did I get some stares.

Hey get the rhythm to "we love you conrad" and clap it durring clap time while thinking in your head "we love you sparlock" and see if anybody notices, could be a fellow apostate? Just show them the victory to sparlock sign V.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

I don't find this practise weird at all. Programmed clapping gives structure and certain worthiness to shows and spectacles. Any of you seen what happens in Chinese and North-Korean party congresses? How spontanious is clapping in American, German or Italian talk-shows, as far as I know they are equipped with huge applause signs that are lid at pre-programmed points. Or again been watching teen movies, there is always that magical moment after which one kid starts "spontanious" clapping, and how weird was that in Another Teen Movie when he could not get his timing right.

Clapping seems to be significant human signal, but how often it is really spontanious? Very seldom is my guess. Meetings and assemblies are shows and spectacles in same manner as any other show, and clapping just belongs there, at proper, often pre-designed, time.

CP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit