Clapping at the meetings and assembly

by NewYork44M 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is interestiing b/c clapping only happens in Episcopal churches when they make announcements. It would disrupt the Liturgy and Eucharist to have clapping. Also, in Manhattan, and I assume elsewhere, people debate points in the sermon during coffee hour or while putting on coats. When I attended the cathedral, which was next to Woodstock Jesuit Seminary, the priests would often give the sermon. They were very thought provoking. Sometimes the debates would go for six months.

The local priest said she did not want to be called "mother." She would find another parish.

I did like the applause at large conventions, esp. Yankee Stadium. The Witnesses struck me as a four person religion. I felt so persecuted during the Cold War. My classmates had many comments concerning evolution,, flag salute, not crossing myself, etc. The thunderous applause made the absurd notions seem mainstream to me.

Applause manners are interesting. When I would attend opera or ballet, Europeans had so much gusto. They screamed Bravo or Brava so loudly compared to Americans. I've also heard loud booing when a performer or artist is disappointing. Applause during a ballet, opera, symphony is tricky for me. I do not know the logical pauses. So I don't clap until everyone else does.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

This is interestiing b/c clapping only happens in Episcopal churches when they make announcements

Not true, I've been to only a few other churches after the Dubs in my lifetime and I've heard clapping, also some of the evangelists on TV, I've heard applause during their sermons also.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Basic Watch Tower rules about applause ....

Applause is okay if it is spontaneous, you would never want it to become perfunctory

if there is only one person spontaneously applauding, it is very possible that they are mentally unbalanced

if you applaud because others are doing it then there is nothing spontaneous about it, it serves no value

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Shirley, please provide the names of the Protestant Episcopal Churches of the United States you visited where you heard applause during a sermon. It is so not Anglican. I doubt anyone would show up the following Sunday.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Another bored, Distriction Convention past-time: Try to be the first or the very last person to clap in the whole audience. This is the highlight of the whole weekend for bored JW kids, especially after they ditched the canteen ticket food scheme. Always makes me laugh when a couple of over enthusiastic teenagers try and get an applause going but it doesn't catch on. Just a few loud solitary claps mid sentence. Lol. Cue the tumbleweed.

• Open mind
    Open mind

*Feeling like a fool today, so I'll just rush in here.*

BOTR said: "This is interestiing b/c clapping only happens in Episcopal churches when they make announcements"

My interpretation of BOTR's comment:

BOTR has been to Episcopal churches. (Probably many times.) Based on her lengthy experience with the Episcopal Church, they only clap for announcements.

My interpretation of what ShirleyW heard:

The only church, aside from the JWs, that has clapping is the Episcopal Church.

*stepping out now*

om

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

BOTR - please provide post where I said I've visited Protestant Episcopal Churches of the United States

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I always thought that we did not clap at the end of an assembly part because we did not want to give praise to the individual. Sort of like the justification for not giving a birthday party.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You said I was intentionally lying about the practice in Episcopal churches. Since your description is so opposed to mine, I just wondered how many Episcopalian churches you attend. B/c the only way to state that I was intentionally lying was to either cite your own Episcopal church experience or to reference an article published by a reputable newspaper or magazine.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

When I was in my late teens it used to bug me that the applause was so conditioned.

So for my next #4 talk I did an experiment. At the end of the talk I started talking a bit louder and more impassioned.

I forget the exact question I ended my talk with, but for an example "Brothers... Should we not show the same faith that Elijah had?"

Then walked off the stage.

Three people clapped.

I could not contain the grin when that happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit