Expectation is not a false prohecy, Is the Watchtower Society in the clear ?

by wasblind 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

"Expectation postponed is making the heart sick, but the thing desired is a tree of life when it does come." - Proverbs 13:12

This scripture was used for the day's text sometime before I left and when I read it that particular morning I remember thinking that I was sick of waiting.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hi Vienna, I should have said welcome on your thread I will say it now.

You are absolutely right. Also if you don't go along with their expectations you will be deemed weak. I remember prior to 1975, being told by a CO that I would never leave school My mother said that I should continue to study as if the end won't come, and he counselled her for showing lack of faith.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

A false expectation or a false prophecy are both still false. Would God's organisation deal out any kind of falsehood?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

IT's clear they are trynna explain why they aren't false prophets.

The real problem they face is that the Bible (Deut. 18:20-22) says they ARE false prophets:

20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name (yep, they do that) anything I have not commanded, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, is to be put to death.”

21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord ?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken.(that about sums it up!) That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

Their own past is their own worst enemy.

Doc

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

"The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah" - How" p216 (released 1971)

9 Shortly, within our twentieth century, the “battle in the day of Jehovah” will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom.

The way I understand it is that Ezekiel had to lie on his side. This was a certain amount of days and then destruction came on Jerusalem.

Their days were numbered.

If this had failed then Ezekiel would have been a false prophet. It didn't.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Watch out for the word "expect" to be inserted in reprints and the cd rom.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

From this: 9 Shortly, within our twentieth century, the “battle in the day of Jehovah” will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom.

To: 9 We expect, within our twentieth century, the “battle in the day of Jehovah” will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

There are a couple more interesting points from Jeremiah 28 that Wasblind referred to in his excellent post.

(verse 15)
    And Jeremiah the prophet went on to say to Hananiah the prophet: “Listen, please, O Hananiah! Jehovah has not sent you, but you yourself have caused this people to trust in a falsehood.

How many times has Watchtower done that? 1914, 1925, 1975, the 'generation', there are only a 'few remaining months til armageddon' etc. All of these are now known to be "falsehoods" that all of Jehovah's Witnesses trusted in.

(verse 9)
    As regards the prophet that prophesies of peace, when the word of the prophet comes true the prophet whom Jehovah has sent in truth will become known.

Watchtower claims to be God's true prophet* today, but no prophet can be a true prophet until his words come true. A long list of Watchtower's predictions have already failed. None have come true. There is no way the Organization can be taken as a true prophet.

*The Society claims to be a true prophet
    (W 4-1-72, p197)
    “So, does Jehovah have a prophet to help them, to warn them of dangers and to declare things to come?

“These questions can be answered in the affirmative.

“This prophet was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah’s Christian witnesses. They are still proclaiming a warning, and have been joined and assisted in their commissioned work by hundreds of thousands of persons who have listened to their message with belief."

• Ding
    Ding

I think the problem is that they try to have it both ways...

... The GB alone understands the deep things of God

... The GB alone has been chosen to speak for Jehovah

... The GB condemns all other religious organizations because they don't have the truth

... The GB demands that JWs order their lives around everything the GB teaches

... But the GB are just fallible men who have mistaken expectations so it's unfair to hold them accountable for their pronouncements...

• yesidid
    yesidid

Well said Ding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit