The Other Side of the Indian Rape Story

by fulltimestudent 86 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The first post on this thread did have an explanatory comment, Still thinking.

I'll re-post it.

Quote:

I'm posting this story, not to defend an indefensible act, but to try to provide some balance. The fact is that so many Indians exist in a poverty so deep that it's difficult for westerners to even understand. The youngest of the rapists in the now world known rape story, according to this UK, Independent newspaper story, grew up in that world that seems hopeless. Also, for males who exist in that world, satisfaction of their personal sexual needs is as far off as their next meal. I think we should also appreciate that there is little in their future that may give hope of change.

The Independent tells the story better than I can, so here it is: (endquote)

I do not resile from posting, except it may have been better to use the word "insight" rather than balance. Apparently some feel 'balance' is an undesirable quality.

I'll ask another question now. Was the Independent newspaper wrong to send a journalist to interview the boy's family? For those who answer yes! to the question, may I ask why? Surely it only added to our understanding (insight) of the entire problem.

Some posters seemed to think that the 'other side' of the story did not matter. My response would be that in courts of law (in Australia anyway) the defense has a right to submit for consideration, "mitigating circumstances" which may or may not be taken into consideration. Surely the background of this young man should be considered.

It is not wrong to want to understand as much as possible about situations. I spent a semester studying India, and had a specific assignment on women. Our lecturer was Indian, a thoughtful and considerate man. Preparing for that assignment I came across the problem of 'dowry related crimes,' in which whole families gang up on the new wife of a man to either get full control of the dowry or to get more money off the wife's family. Often torture and murder is part of the scenario. I asked my lecturer about it. He became visibly upset and could barely discuss it, suggesting that it was a huge problem without a solution in sight. While the bad 'mother-in-law" is a stock figure in western literature, nothing quite prepares you for the treatment of women in India.

• tornapart
    tornapart

The father of the boy himself said that his son should hang for what he did. Poverty is no excuse for this.

I saw a documentary about some people living in a place like this next to the Ganges. They were hardworking and optimistic, dreamers even. One in particular struck me because he was always smiling. He worked 13 hour days, 27 and a half days in a fortnight making clay cups to sell. He had a mattress on the floor where he worked and he bathed in the river. The only time he looked sad was when he thought of his wife and child that he'd not seen for 6 months. Eventually he saved enough money to rent a single room in a shack so he could bring his wife and child to live with him. His eyes sparkled and he had a zest for life and he never stopped smiling. There were several others that had the same happy attitude. I couldn't envisage any of them doing what that gang did!

• designs
    designs

India at the Federal level of government must start a long campaign to educate and change the many cultures within India that suppress and abuse its peoples. It takes many decades to change minds as we see in our country. There will be blow back from the 'Fundamentalists' within the Indian cultures just as we see here. The power of Law is important here to set the moral and ethical tone for the nation. It must say- This is who we are , this is what we stand for, Equal and Fair protection for all.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

fulltimestudent - your point about "court of law" and the ideas posted about punishment (i.e. death penalty) got me thinking. I agree that courts do take into account mitigating circumstances when passing sentence for a crime. I think the intention is to help determine whether there might be any possibility of rehabilitation. There are people who commit heinous acts but do show regret later and attempt to make amends. They clean up their lives and go on to become productive citizens. Others are beyond rehabilitation.

As stillthinking points out, harsh penalties are not necessarily the solution. Hanging these men might satisfy justice, but it won't solve the problem or prevent it from happening again.

I will reiterate that poverty has nothing to do with it. Rich men rape and murder, too. Extreme poverty does not create an attitude that women are chattels. What it might do is create a sense that life has little value, period.

Edited to add: thinking about the recent Shafia case in Montreal, where a wealthy father (from Afghanistan originally) murdered his three daughters and first wife with the help of his son and current wife, all because they had brought shame on the family. It almost makes me think that in certain wealthy countries women can become even more like chattels. As has already been pointed out - fundamental religion seems to keep rearing its ugly head.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Also, for males who exist in that world, satisfaction of their personal sexual needs is as far off as their next meal. I think we should also appreciate that there is little in their future that may give hope of change.

I don't care about their personal sexual needs. They are not the only men not having sex in the world. Rape is not about sex, it is about control.

THAT is an excuse...saying they have little hope in their lives somehow is a reason/excuse to destroy someone elses.

THIS is why YOU GOT THE RESPONSE YOU DID to this thread. Even though you started it with this statement: " not to defend an indefensible act. but to try to provide some balance".........There is no ballance. There is only discussion about what happened. And reaction to a horrible crime.

Some posters seemed to think that the 'other side' of the story did not matter. My response would be that in courts of law (in Australia anyway) the defense has a right to submit for consideration, "mitigating circumstances" which may or may not be taken into consideration. Surely the background of this young man should be considered.

Considered for what? Will that change the situation for the woman? Saying it is 'the other side' of the story sounds like you are making excuses. It's not "the other side' It is simply informaton about the boys background.

Are we more concerned about what happens to someone after they have committed the offense than how the offence came about. You are talking about courts of law...and how this man should be treated fairly and HIS rights.

This is why you got the reaction you did to your OP.

It is not wrong to want to understand as much as possible about situations. I spent a semester studying India, and had a specific assignment on women. Our lecturer was Indian, a thoughtful and considerate man. Preparing for that assignment I came across the problem of 'dowry related crimes,' in which whole families gang up on the new wife of a man to either get full control of the dowry or to get more money off the wife's family. Often torture and murder is part of the scenario. I asked my lecturer about it. He became visibly upset and could barely discuss it, suggesting that it was a huge problem without a solution in sight. While the bad 'mother-in-law" is a stock figure in western literature, nothing quite prepares you for the treatment of women in India.

No, it is not wrong to want to understand. But you are sending conflicting messages in this thread.

I have a good friend who came to NZ from India because she feared for her life because of her husbands family who didn't think she (a hindu) was good enough for him (a sikh). It is NOT just about poverty. They come from a wealthy family. And yet, the attitude remains, that her life was worth nothing.

My mother was also born and raised in India. I am well aware of some of the problems they face.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Ethiopia is another example of a country with high poverty rates yet relatively low in violent crimes. From the research I've done, it seems the most likely crime you'll experience there is a sly pick pocketer.

I saw a documentary a few months back on the country. People who are working all day just to have a meal... and yet, the widest smiles on their faces.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Since when has poverty EVER been used to condone rape? That might be the worst connection I've ever heard.

• on the rocks
    on the rocks

I am from India...and want to mention here there is no other side to the rape story...its the Indian mentality towards women thats responsible...women are not seen as equals...and a "no" from a women in many parts of India would hurt the ego of men. A few years ago a female model as part of a promotion was bartending at an upsacle New Delhi bar and when she refused a drink to some well connected guy...he removed his gun and shot her dead...it was only after the media went berserk action was taken.

Infact in many parts of India (more the nothern part) people view a girl child as a liability...3 million girl child are killed in the wombs itself. It is so rampant that the male/female ration is skewed to such an extent is some parts that many men are finding it difficult to find someone to marry...its a social problem. And this is not restricted to the poor....its across the well educated,rich and poor. The Dowry system certainly plays a big part in this. And it exists in among the JW's as well(dowry problem)

The other problem in India is the enforcement of law and the judiciary system....its so very slow, inefficient, incompetent and corrupt that many dont fear the law.

• designs
    designs

News agencies are reporting another gang rape of a woman in India, and again the driver of the bus and also the conductor on the bus were part of the gang, 6 have been arrested. The woman lived and is being cared for.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Thanks for sharing your experience, on the rocks. It adds important perspective to this discussion. I also read about the latest bus rape in India this morning, along with a few other rape/murders of young girls. I've read about the issue of female infanticide/abortion - a trend that has been going on since at least 2001.

Clearly the social problems and attitudes towards women are a huge issue with no easy solutions in sight. But at least the dialogue has started. It's extremely important that the problem be discussed openly, with all sides being looked at - no excuses, simply an exercise to understand and hopefully initiate change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit