Greetings

by Monsieur 36 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Because ultimately man is almost totally useless in his desire and effort to 'build up and mend'. - Monsieur

At this point I think I should make it clear that I am not a Witness. I married one instead. On this doctrinal point I challenge my husband. Why would God bother creating us after His own image with a fine mind, a conscience, and free will, if we were to call it all useless? I use the example of pot-holes. I trust my local government to take care of the pot-holes better and more efficiently than the local elder body! Here's some noble examples of doing things differently, and having a major impact on the health and well-being of the planet:

Eradication of the Guinea Worm

Pakistan Resumes Polio Vaccines Global Polio Eradication Initiatives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG21nyJNB_A

The Four Commandments of Cities

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Monsieur - abiblestudent,

not to argue with your honest 'take' on the subject, but God not 'approving' doesn't really add up to anything anymore. i too had a strong attachment to your ideas regarding God's interventions or lack thereof. Yet how ironic that as a jw my 'beef' isn't with some organization or some group of men, rather it's with God.

Because ultimately man is almost totally useless in his desire and effort to 'build up and mend'. Yet it was God who created Earth and put man in it. I feel that somewhere along the way the idea of 'accountability' became lost on God. If EArth was a trully and simply a 'test', I don't believe (or I'm having an incredibly difficult time accepting) that witnessing the sorry and violent effects of man's hatred was suppose to feel this terrible, much less experiencing it. Besides, for whom is this 'testing' going on? Those that are simply witnessing the misfortune, surviving it? Where is the sense of justice in that? If this is so, than we trully are not equal, though we be all human.

Did God really decide who would be tested and who would be the victim of such 'test'?

Hi Monsieur, I do not believe that I wrote or implied that God is not 'approving'. That sounds like something a JW would think.

What I wrote or meant for you to understand was that many humans blame God, question God for doing all the bad things in life, or for not preventing bad things, such as earthquakes, wars, etc. How many times in your life have you prayed for God to help you spiritually and felt better afterwards? If you believe in God, isn't praying to him and feeling better afterwards a good thing? Jesus Christ taught his disciples to love God and each other; and to believe in Truth and compassion, and not hypocracy, fear, greed, envy, etc.

Flipper gave you good advice, " Just enjoy yourself as an authentic human and be good to others you love - friends and others - your answers will come from within you and acceptance of all that YOU are in your personal experience and journey called life. "

Life is not black or white as you learned from the WTBTS. There can be more than two perspectives about a tragedy. I feel that 911 was a tragedy, but I was also amazed by how many people came together to help those who were adversely affected by 911 and many people seemed to treat other people better. People behaved more caring for about 2 months before they started to fall back into there old ways. But, for 2 months something good came out of something tragic.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Bienvenue MONSIEUR!

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome to the forum

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome to JWN Monsieur!

Flipper said: "Don't think too much about God or the meaning of life or your head will explode."

(One of the wisest things I think I've ever seen come out of the Flipster's fingers.)

Our lives are short. Make the best you can of it and hope that if there is a God, it/she/he isn't a jerk. (I donned my "tasteful" cap in choosing my words.)

om

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

xianthippe, thanks for guiding me to this opportunity with AI, i will most definitely look into this.

OM, thanks for going out of your way in using 'tasteful' language! In regards to Flipper's advise (don't get me wrong, i appreciate the spirit of it) i feel that it is no longer something I can do. I've crossed a threshold that doesn't allow me to simply ignore 'reality'. Pretending as though my world is only as wide as a 30mile radius from my constant position sounds, frankly, unintelligent.

To me, it's the same as saying, 'just look the other way'. Granted, I realize that our limitations (physical) make it impossible to solve this 'state' of man. But I am beginning to believe deeply in the verse "Knowledge is power", and fully comprehending this mother of a WHY has to provide resolution. I believe my God owes us humans this much.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome and best wishes in your journey, wherever it takes you.

I believe that our faith provides a ‘haven’ or ‘parameters’ from which members can significantly obtain structure and order in many different ways.

Could you elaborate and give an example? I don't know of anything within the jw belief system that allows this.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Welcome Monsieur , looking forward to more of your post

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

greetings rebel8

in regards to the religion, there are members that NEED to have a place of worship (kingdom hall), need prayer, need to relate with others of like mindedness through meetings, moved by their faith they can find themselves needing to preach to others regarding their beliefs.

i suppose they could go out and do this on their own but chose to do this within the structure of this faith. eventually some come to relate this structure, consitency and/or familiarity with their own comfort. This is typical of the human mind or it is human nature to associate similar elements with one's own ideals or preoccupations.

i imagine that in ANY religion its members derive a peace of mind of sorts in transferring worries like mine onto God and leaving them be. But as I've written, this has stopped working for me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about supporting an enterprising person in the third world through a charity, such as:

www.kiva.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit