Greetings

by Monsieur 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

DOC, care to share?

jgnat,

your point of view regarding the people of Syria is optimistic. i imagine those victims MUST push foward with this mentality, otherwise.

I am finding it harder and harder to find joy in my own life KNOWING that such things are happening. I consider it ridiculous at times when i look around and things really ARE perfect compared to those people's lot. Common sense dictates that i should be thankful that i am not in the middle of those circumstances, and in many ways i am. My family isn't being threatened with bombs or machetes, but why? is it because we are simply lucky?? does this luck make me a better person because i can be thankful of my lot? i don't believe so.

i guess i find myself more being relieved that i nor my family have to face death in the face like that, rather than appreciative of it. Because i am finding that the moment i start to thank God for my fortune, the faces and images of those people creep in and i ask, who is looking out for them??

its an emotion unlike anything i've ever experienced.

• Emery
    Emery

There is an excellent debate you can find on YouTube and it is in regards to the problem of suffering or Theodicy. Bart Ehrman and Dinesh D'souza debate many points as to why we suffer and reflect on the traditions that mankind has developed over the centuries. It was one of the most powerful and thought provoking debates for me as I was in your very shoes. Here it is for anyone who is interested.

http://youtu.be/Isg6Kx-3xdI

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

thanks, i'll look into it.

someone asked about the mormons. i know nothing of the mormons' but i'm sure, as the witnesses, there are those that find comfort in its structure. as to the mind control claims, i could say, 'yeah sure, you can call it that or anything you want it to. but it doesn't really matter when you look at the reality of the 'state' that man finds himself in.

i can only trust God by virtue of being cognizant of Him, which requires me to be alive, right? if i'm not alive, and not able to react to Him, does it take away from some bigger agenda or mission He seeks to accomplish? yet, i think these thoughts which give importance to MY self, and something is beginning to tell me that I or WE are perhaps not that important after all. At least not as individuals.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I understand that you are getting a sense of how frail is our security in this world. I also get the sense you have no confidence that God would intervene. After all look at the injustices on the other side of the world.

You feel compassion for people across the globe - your brothers - yet you feel helpless to improve their lot.

I've noticed that global altruism is very rare. It's an overwhelming feeling, and I suspect that most people give up and focus on themselves and those closest to them.

I've reconciled these feelings by focusing on those things that I can do. Ever read the story of the boy and the starfish? My little drops in the ocean.

http://dreamemporium.com/starfish.html

• whathappened
    whathappened

Welcome...you sound like a thoughtful soul.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Welcome...you sound like a thoughtful soul.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Monsieur - "As to God, I am convinced that He does really exist, there is too much proof of it in my mind (the birth of a baby for instance). But who is this God that I had once thought I knew?? What are His real feelings towards us, His human creation?"

Welcome Monsieur to JWN. I'm sorry that you are feeling so many doubts about Our Father in Heaven. Some people on JWN believe in no God or maybe there is a God, some in the WTBTS, some in some other diety, and others believe in Jesus Christ and what he taught.

By the way are you French?

Since you believe in God, why do you blame him for all of man's transgressions? The WTBTS has taught you how to believe in Jehovah's Organization and its leaders and not Our Father in Heaven. Jesus Christ even warned his followers about false prophets (i.e., Mathew 7:15-20). Although people are doing horrible things to other people in Sryia now and other places in the World, mankind doing horrible acts does not mean that Our Father in Heaven approves. If I remember correctly, the Sryian people just wanted to protest peacefully, but Assad's forces started killing protestors.

People also do wonderful acts in the World. Hopefully, Our Father in Heaven will help you to see the beauty in life and help you to change how mankind treats each other for the better. Sometimes bad things happen to very innocent people, so speakout when you see it.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Mathew 7:15-20
    True and False Prophets

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

hello jgnat,

thank you for interacting with me, i sense we have similar sensibilities. and thank you for sharing the links with me as well.

abiblestudent,

not to argue with your honest 'take' on the subject, but God not 'approving' doesn't really add up to anything anymore. i too had a strong attachment to your ideas regarding God's interventions or lack thereof. Yet how ironic that as a jw my 'beef' isn't with some organization or some group of men, rather it's with God.

Because ultimately man is almost totally useless in his desire and effort to 'build up and mend'. Yet it was God who created Earth and put man in it. I feel that somewhere along the way the idea of 'accountability' became lost on God. If EArth was a trully and simply a 'test', I don't believe (or I'm having an incredibly difficult time accepting) that witnessing the sorry and violent effects of man's hatred was suppose to feel this terrible, much less experiencing it. Besides, for whom is this 'testing' going on? Those that are simply witnessing the misfortune, surviving it? Where is the sense of justice in that? If this is so, than we trully are not equal, though we be all human.

Did God really decide who would be tested and who would be the victim of such 'test'?

• flipper
    flipper

MONSIEUR- Welcome to the board. Don't think too much about God or the meaning of life or your head will explode. Just enjoy yourself as an authentic human and be good to others you love - friends and others - your answers will come from within you and acceptance of all that YOU are in your personal experience and journey called life. Nice to have you here ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Hello Monsieur and wecome. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. If I may quote something you wrote,

I consider it important to keep an eye on the big picture. At one time I was certain of what this picture was. Recently though, its apparently become less clear.

I can say for certain that this began once the reality of the atrocities occurring in Assiria settled in. Questions began to fill my mind.

-how low can man go in his display of cruelty and selfishness?

I do understand you questioning this. I have asked this question myself. However I have found through studying history that the whole world used to be like this, with cruelty and poverty being the lot in life for most people .

It seems to me that life is slowly getting better for many people in the world as you say, My family isn't being threatened with bombs or machetes, but why? is it because we are simply lucky??

Some of us are lucky enough to be born in peaceful, politically and economically stable parts of the world. This is just an acident of birth becaues our countries have been through terrible times with dicatators and suffering but now we have developed democracies and a decent standard of living for ordinary people.

You sound like a person with empathy when you say, I am finding it harder and harder to find joy in my own life KNOWING that such things are happening. I consider it ridiculous at times when i look around and things really ARE perfect compared to those people's lot. Common sense dictates that i should be thankful that i am not in the middle of those circumstances, and in many ways i am.

To me this is a sign of someone who is aware of reality and seeing what it means to be truly human and living on a planet full of life and populated with millions who live, some in areas of extreme drought and constant hunger, some in areas of natural beauty but political instability and some of us living in relative safety and with a decent lifestyle but totally aware of what is happening in the world.

I do like you sometimes find it hard to live with joy knowing that such things are happening but I find knowing what is being done by good people in the world and trying to do my bit helps. I think in reality it works to, not that it is just a way of making people in rich countries feel better. Last month I spent a morning at my local Amnesty International group writing letters to the British Embassy in Afghanistan about the treatment of women in that country and to governemnts in other parts of the world that are sorely troubled.

AI does great work, do you remember it helping out with JWs because they were prisoners of conscience in various countries in the past? I certainly remember reading it in the Watchtower and Awake! magazines. In the Summer of 2011 a young man in Azerbaijan wrote something negative about his government on his facebook page. The next day, in the middle of the night, he was taken away and put in prison for four years. AI asked us to write to the president of Azerbaijan which thousands of us did - can you imagine all those letters arriving in his residence? In December of 2011 he was released.

Also UNISEF and Save the Children are doing marvelous work particulary at the moment. Save the children is supplying tents, blankets, clothing and food to the people of Syria. Unisef is providind immunisation for thousands of children around the world to prevent them needlessly dying of preventable diseases.

Don't despair, many good things are being done in the world. Not all humans display cruelty and selfishness. This is the side of humans that has been presented to you by your religious leaders I'm afraid. You have a broad intelligence and keen sensibilitiies and if you continue to widen out in these you will renew your joy in life.

Xanthippe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit