Greetings

by Monsieur 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Greetings

I visit this site often for various reasons, above all to see the opinions of those in regards to their present ‘state’ in life in relation to past or present tendencies in thinking (religious, morals, etc).

I had not found anything constructive or worthy of adding to this conversation but for one reason or another here I am doing so now.

I am presently an active jw member. I believe that our faith provides a ‘haven’ or ‘parameters’ from which members can significantly obtain structure and order in many different ways. This is the case for those members that consider themselves ‘spiritually’ motivated and that are wholeheartedly seeking a spiritual ‘truth’. I know hundreds of people that fit this description and are genuinely happy with their current ‘state’ in life (with all their experiences past and present and expectations).

I myself actually derive a certain joy and feeling of happiness from seeing this ‘joy’ emanating from these believers, particularly those that are kind hearted and humble. I think happiness IS contagious. I also think this ‘joy’ can be universal and not necessarily attached to a faith or religion.

My internal state however, is a totally different story.

I consider it important to keep an eye on the big picture. At one time I was certain of what this picture was. Recently though, its apparently become less clear.

I can say for certain that this began once the reality of the atrocities occurring in Assiria settled in. Questions began to fill my mind.

-how low can man go in his display of cruelty and selfishness?

-is man really alone in carrying on these actions of hatred? Or is he truly aided by Satan?

-either way, can these atrocities be attributed to a ‘cause’, if so, a cause for whom?

-or are these atrocities simply ‘unforeseen’ occurrences that befell to some incredibly unfortunate souls?

, and so forth.

These questions I found (very interestingly) led me to a place I had long ago thought I had visited and left forever. I can only describe it as a heart to heart session with God. More specifically, a request for an explanation from God over my questions and others that arose from them. Once again, to my dismay, the essence of existence was being brought to question.

As I said, my interest in this site revolves around comparing similar thoughts I find here to mine.

I don’t find a lot of opinions here very tasteful but we all have a right to express them in the end.

As to God, I am convinced that He does really exist, there is too much proof of it in my mind (the birth of a baby for instance). But who is this God that I had once thought I knew?? What are His real feelings towards us, His human creation?

Have we really been all placed into a setting to fend off for ourselves after all?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In the past I also thought that I had found the answers to all of life's greatest questions. Now I realize all the answers were lies. And the questions still remain. And I doubt that I have enough years to research them all at this point in life.

Good luck in your quest.

Doc

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    I believe that our faith provides a ‘haven’ or ‘parameters’ from which members can significantly obtain structure and order in many different ways. This is the case for those members that consider themselves ‘spiritually’ motivated and that are wholeheartedly seeking a spiritual ‘truth’. I know hundreds of people that fit this description and are genuinely happy with their current ‘state’ in life (with all their experiences past and present and expectations).

Yeah, what you call 'havens' or "paramaters" the rest of us call it what it really is - Cult mind control.

So what do you think of the Mormons, from what I hear they do it better...and they actually look after those who are weak.

As to God, I am convinced that He does really exist, there is too much proof of it in my mind (the birth of a baby for instance). But who is this God that I had once thought I knew?? What are His real feelings towards us, His human creation?

This isn't "proof" of anything. Ask any woman if they enjoyed the "Childbirth experience"? Oh, thats right, God was pissed at that those naked people ate from his special tree so he decided to make childbirth the most painful experience imaginable for hundreds of generations....

• james_woods
    james_woods

I can say for certain that this began once the reality of the atrocities occurring in Assiria settled in. Questions began to fill my mind.

What is Assiria?

• perfect1
    perfect1

I think happiness IS contagious. I also think this ‘joy’ can be universal and not necessarily attached to a faith or religion.

Good job.

I don’t find a lot of opinions here very tasteful but we all have a right to express them in the end.

TASTEFUL!!!! Seriously, dude.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Assiria is Syria, I think. You know, that murderous dictator guy and all the rebels.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

"I believe that our faith provides a haven or parameters from which members can obtain structure and order in many different ways"

I cant believe you would write anything so fundamentally poles apart from what you claim the WTS gives people, the WTS is based on exerting fear and guilt into its members , has been so phenomenally dishonest for over 100 years in how it has allegedly dispensed "the truth" to the world. Even the latest WT is nothing more then a PR paper filled with lies and dishonesty, how you can say it gives structure and order in many different ways makes my mind boggle.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

As to God, I am convinced that He does really exist, there is too much proof of it in my mind

Welcome

May I suggest you find some proof outside your mind.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Monsieur, I can relate to your introspection and your questions. Usually I am unaware of the weight of world events, but every once in awhile an event shakes me to the core. The first time I was moved to tears is when the Berlin Wall fell. The sense of freedom, of being released from oppression, made me realize that that wall, a half a world away, oppressed me just by its existence How dare we as people imprison others simply to shape them to our will? I had a similar reaction when Apartheid was lifted in South Africa. Now again, in Syria, common people are rising up and saying “no more”, even at risk of their very lives. I tell you the truth, no despot can hold back the will of the people forever, no matter how oppressive or powerful he may be. My prediction for Syria is that the despot will be deposed and after years of struggle the people will have the free country they so desire.

As for why doesn’t God intervene? When I pondered on this I realized I had to either believe that God did not care very much, or else God has limitations (either self-imposed or natural). Since I prefer to believe in an all-loving God, I choose to believe the latter.

Here’s another example of how the best in us through the communal voice of the internet, can move governments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lp-NMaU0r8

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Welcome to Monsier !.....It is a pleasure to read your post

"I consider it important to keep an eye on the big picture. At one time I was certain of what this picture was. Recently though, its apparently become less clear"

That is true enough to thinking people...It used to be so clear to me too. Keep on posting, we look forward to hearing more and something tells me that you will have interesting things to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit