Jan. 1 WT, Their confession for given incorrect dates for the end.

by jam 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Its fantastic that they publish comments like this because it shows that JW's really are starting to get antsy and fed up with waiting forever for the end of the system. It undermines the Society's calls for urgency and reminds all JW's that they have been waiting and waiting and waiting....zzzzzzz....

• BroMac
    BroMac

AH Macmillan? egg on his face after giving a DC talk, - This will be the last talk I ever give before we go up to heaven. -1914.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Its fantastic that they publish comments like this because it shows that JW's really are starting to get antsy and fed up with waiting forever for the end of the system.

Yadda, that's a very interesting point on it all. They didn't publish this "apology" without some serious discussion at the head table. Typically those guys ARE NOT about apologizing for ANYTHING. There has to have been a lot of dissention for them to take this step. That means, correspondence to the HQ; reports from CO & DO; perhaps even questioning from those men about the problems they face talking to the R&F. Even perhaps a significant fallout from within the Higher Ranks of the Clergy. I've noticed that every new CO we have is a New Boy, right out of New Boy School. Where did all the old guys go? There are less circuits in the US now than 3 years ago. Why so many new COs needed?

Doc

• fedup
    fedup

GB Policy:

What's good for the goose, is definetely NOT good for the gander.

"When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion." - George Carlin

• caliber
    caliber

A sincere apology means that you should: (1) admit your mistake, (2) apologize, (3) if possible, try to fix it, and (4) learn from it.
    a true apology is weakened by buts or howevers (some preceived justification )
    accepted responsibility for what has done with no excuses—and complete transparency

The statement "I am sorry I hurt you " only says they are sorry for how you feel not necessarily for their words or actions or how they still feel themselves.

I regret my unfair words and actions I was wrong.. is a true apology

"We are sorry… but we are victims here too, so share some blame would you ? we were over eager !
    We still had your eternal interests foremost in our m inds.. ..." (the lesser of two evils by not allowing you to fall asleep)

In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book LifeEverlasting—inFreedomoftheSonsofGod, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated. 3/15/80 WT

In its issue of July 15, 1976, TheWatchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." In saying "anyone," TheWatchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

R ay Franz authored this , there is a but ,however ! He said it had to be written in such a way that the
    rest of the GB would accept it in print ! So his true feelings on the matter were watered down not by his choosing .

his intent was indeed pure and honest because we see where later it lead him

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    A.H. Macmillan, who said: I learned that we should admit our mistakes and continue searching God's Word for more enlightenment."

COBBLERS!!

LIARS! They admit nothing!

When I read this I wasn't sure if I should laugh or vomit. In the final analysis there isn't enough vomit in the world to illustrate how this makes me feel.

I remember an elder ringing me up when I decided to quit going to the meetings and I told him I wasn't interested. He said: 'They're just imperfect men. They got things wrong. They went back to the scriptures and corrected it. Always back to the scriptures and corrected it!'

I was gobsmacked by such an utter brainwashed, typical JW, zombiefied comment.....and all with NO EVIDENCE. Made me realize how much mind control the JWs are under.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They went back to the scriptures and corrected it.

If only they had gone back the the scriptures and corrected it. Sadly, in almost every case they have gone back to their own understanding and typically published another error. . . and another . . . . and another. But if you didn't accept every change along the way, despite the fact that all the previous ones were in error, you were at risk for a spiritual stoning.

Doc

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

My daughter had the witnesses call on her recently and leave the magazines. They want to call again. They don't know she teaches theology at University. lol.

in the article Luke 19:11 , Acts1:6 and 2 Thess 2:1,2 are cited. Interesting.

• Emery
    Emery

This is just a good printed response they can use whenever somebody drops the false prophecy bomb on them.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Exactly, Emery. JW: "See? The Society has admitted it's been wrong in the past. Look how progressive and humble they are!"

I appreciate the point that people were disfellowshipped over not accepting JW teachings in the past, and that this "apology" illustrates the arrogance in kicking someone out of the congregation over a disagreement (although, to be fair, no one was ever disfellowshipped because they didn't accept an end date, especially not 1975).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit