Georgia mom shoots home intruder five times

by Bonnie_Clyde 112 Replies latest jw friends

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Under perfect circumstances any homeowner would be able to convince a perpetrator of home invasion to back off and leave. Perfect circumstances are as few and far between as real photos of Bigfoot however.

To my way of thinking there are a few things that I have to do as a responsible gun owner.

(1) I have to be extremely safe and incredibly proficient with my firearms especially the ones I set aside for the role of being the "go to" weapon for protection. That means I know everything there is to know about the gun. I can take it apart and put it together in the dark if need be. And most importantly I shoot it enough in varied positions that muscle memory and habit will be able to fight through the rush of surprise and adrenaline that will undoubtedly be there if worst comes to worst.

(2) Make sure that my guns are as secure as I can possibly make them and that my family is on the same page with me regarding where the guns are, who can access them, and how to use them.

(3) Mentally prepare myself for the possibility that I may have to kill someone when they cross a certain threshhold and be certain that the threshhold corresponds to the law.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

By the way when Speech fails Fighting is often the only option.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

One thing I failed to mention that needs to be examined is making ones home as unappealing as possible. I think homes could be designed to be safer from intrusion through reduction of blind spots, stronger construction techniques, built-in security systems, etc.

If nobody wants to invade you then you won't have to shoot them.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

A couple more things I want to put out there. Well maybe more than a couple.

(1) Waiting period for gun purchases: Having to wait a couple of days for your gun is no hardship as far as I'm concerned.

(2).Background checks: These need to be as thorough as possible including mental history.

(3) The supposed Gun Show Loophole: Any business that goes to a gun show, buys table space, and engages in selling anything other than guns should be prohibited from selling a gun. If they want to sell guns they should get an FFL.

(4) Individuals selling there guns privately: I don't like the idea of the Govt. regu lating this however I know the possibility that these guns may fall into the wrong hands. An easy solutionto this if it were mandated would be for gun dealers to charge a small nominal fee to temporarily take possession of the gun until all checks are complete.

(5) Banning certain kinds of firearms: Extremely absurd notion based entirely on needless fear from those who don't know enough about guns.

(6) Lowering capacity of magazines: Somehow even more absurd

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Just think of how many bullets she could have put in him with an AK47! Sounds as if the 38 did the job. Its not about banning guns, its about banning overkill to the extent possible. If it stops just 1 whackjob from killing 20 children I am for it. I say to this lady, well done. I don't know how good a shot she was but it sounds as if he caught plenty of lead.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I agree. If you could by banning something keep some whackjob from killing 20 children I'd be all for it. I just don't believe some sort of arbitrary banning of particular weapons or features will do it. It's tilting at windmills at best.

• designs
    designs

Are you willing as a gun owner to have annual re-registration and to have included a medical checkup to screen for mental illnesses and criminal checks for outstanding warrants.

• designs
    designs

High School in Taft Ca., just outside Bakersfield, has reported a shooting this morning with two injured and the shooter in custody.

• heathen
    heathen

I'm for less government control and give all law abiding citizens whatever guns and training they want ... don't forget - the holocaust started with gun control

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Alex Jones went on national television and during his rage/rant he proclaimed that America is a violent society. His words. He has millions of followers who hang on every word he says and who support and agree with him.

Shouldn't your first question to yourself be 'why'? Why are we such a violent society and if we can admit we are, then why are we so apathetic about it? Mental health is just a very small part of the issue - apathy and attitude are a major part of it, as is the widespread use of prescribed pharmaceuticals that are having devastating effects on a society calculated to be the biggest user of prescription drugs in the world.

In this case, a woman was able to protect her family and nobody is arguing that but let's be clear, she didn't need 50 guns and 6,000 rounds of ammo to do it. On the other hand - there were 3 incidents of family members being shot lately when they were believed to be intruders - those family members wouldn't be dead if someone crept downstairs with a bat to check out the burglar.

You had a CEO make some video clip about going out and shooting people to make a point if Obama tries to pass a law against guns. You have Alex Jones and his followers raging about a civil war if their guns are threatened. Imagine all that energy being used for something positive instead of a love affair with a piece of steel and yes children - guns do kill people - that's why they are made and that's why a lot of people buy them. To kill.

Two more kids shot in Calfornia school today - could be a gang or not. Attitude has to change - honest discussion about why people are willing to accept violence is a start. Not just about drugs but about why people are so dependent on pharmaceuticals. The USA is first in gun deaths and pharmaceuticals and prison numbers - should we be proud of those firsts or change attitude and become proud of being first in math, science, engineers, technology and the best and most progressive society in the world? Something has to begin to change and it really has to start with the politicians/lobbyists; with an attitude of less profit in exchange for human life and productivity; with some sort of discussion about why people can admit they live in a violent culture and accept rather than try to change that culture. Right now we are clamouring for Indian to change their policy on the treatment of women after the rape and death of one of their own - that's accepting you have a culture that you don't like and want to improve for the benefit of all your people. Everyone has to start somewhere -

sammieswife

-----

NEW FAIRFIELD, Conn. (CTNow) — Shortly after 1 a.m. on Thursday, a woman called her next-door neighbor, who also happens to be her brother, because she thought someone was trying to break into her home.

Her brother armed himself with a handgun and went to investigate, police said.

He saw a person wearing all black and a black ski mask outside his sister’s house with a “shiny object” in his hand and fired a fatal shot, police said.

Police have identified the masked person as 15-year-old Tyler Giuliano.

The shooter, sources said, is Tyler’s father, 44-year-old Jeffrey Giuliano.

When police arrived, they found Giuliano in a T-shirt and shorts, sitting on the grass next to the home. His son, Tyler, was lying dead in the driveway, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. A weapon was in his hand, police said.

Giuliano told police he thought his son was armed and about to attack him.

---------------------

A New York police officer killed his son after thinking he was an intruder and shooting him.

Michael Leach, of Rochester, was staying at the Clark Beach Motel in Old Forge, Wyoming County.

The 59-year-old and his son were part of a group of police officers who had driven to the area on motorcycles for a long-weekend getaway.

'It was just a group of guys coming to have a good time,' motel owner Dan Rivet Jr told uticaod.com .

'We have very little violence in Old Forge.'

Leach was disturbed by someone coming into his room shortly after midnight.

Believing the disturbance to be an intruder Leach grabbed his police department-issued .45-caliber Glock handgun and opened fire.

After realising his error the 59-year-old called 911 and reported the shooting.

37-year-old Matthew Leach was pronounced dead at St Elizabeth's Hospital and his father was taken to St Luke's Hospital for mental support.

-----------------------------------------------------

NATOMAS, Calif. -- A woman mistaken for an intruder was tragically shot and killed by her boyfriend inside a home on the 200 block of Battle Creek Circle in Natomas Monday morning.

According to Sacramento Police Department spokeswoman Michelle Gigante, the woman went into the dark bedroom around 5:30 a.m. where her boyfriend was sleeping. The man awoke to see the silhouette of a person in his room, mistook it for an intruder, grabbed a gun and shot the woman.

When the man realized what had happened, he called 911 and informed them of the shooting, said Gigante.

Emergency personnel arrived at the scene and transported the woman to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead shortly before 7:30 a.m.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit