Who is Babylon the Great?

by sabastious 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

My kind of gal....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

BtG shops at Victoria's Secret and Fredrick's of Hollywood.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I know, MJ.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep, took a closer look and I bet ya that's a g-string.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I already did.

• TD
    TD
    TD, you make a strong point that was originally stated by fink. Rome most certainly is being described in Revelation 13,

Indirectly, I think through the Imperial cult. Rome was personified as a godess called Dea Roma. The giant figure on that coin is Dea Roma sitting upon the seven hills of Rome with her feet at the river, which is a motif paralleled in Revelation 17:9. Other depictions show her sitting upon the waters themselves. The Jews absolutely despised this godess, calling her the mother of harlots.

It's not big deal, but to me you answer is confusing because it seems to incorporate the assumption I was questioning as part of the answer.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It was quite common for early Christians to use figurative symbols and wording to secretly obscure who they were ,

because exposing oneself opposed to the Roman leadership and a being devout toward Christianity could get you arrested

and killed. So naming the entire Roman empire as Babylon the Great might have come out from this vital apparent situation.

Of course this all changed when the Emperor of Rome Constantine embraced Christianity in 313 AD.

• irondork
    irondork

tag

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Indirectly, I think through the Imperial cult.

Babylon was specifically used in the imagery because it's literal fall was so sudden which is how the fall of the harlot is described when the beast she courts devours her. Swift and brutal justice comes after evil is unveiled. Humanity doesn't tolerate evil, they are just temporarily decieved by it.

-Sab

• shamus100
    shamus100

>:O I AM THE HARLOT! FEED ME!!! LOVE ME!!!

I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit