Several Sites Are Down

by Juan Viejo2 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

In case you have noticed, several websites that are managed and administered by me are down.

At this moment I do not know specifically why, but my hosting company (SecureServer.net) tells me only that it is due to a "copyright infringement." I do not even know which of the 30 some sites might actually have the claimed infringement and so far all I've been told is that there is a claim and that I have to email a certain group and they will get back to me.

I have no idea when these sites will come back on line.

The last time this happened I got an email and instructions to call someone in support services. They told me that a series of articles on one of my sites was supposedly quoting too much directly from the Watchtower magazines. Although I felt that what my contibutor had written and my own understanding of fair use made those posts protected under the law. However, since the articles were widely available elsewhere I took them down. Since then, I have been more careful about the amount of quoted text (and the format of that text) to avoid a repeat.

So I have no idea if the "copyright infringement" is on one of my JW discussion sites or maybe something that one of my secular clients may have put up on their personal site.

Here are the sites that are usually of interest to members of this forum that are affected:

Ex-JW.com

InsidetheWatchtower.com

WatchtowerWatch.com

ExJWsLosAngeles.org

JWSurvey.org (Cedars' site)

RichardEKelly.com

NancyJSage.com

There might be a couple more involved, but they are very low traffic. I also have several secular and private/personal websites that are affected.

My apologies to Cedars, Dick Kelly, Cynthia Hampton, and Nancy Sage for the disruption of service. Again, I had absolutely no warning this time - the hosting company just acted on the complaint and took the server down without giving me any warning.

I can only imagine who is behind this attack, but I will keep everyone informed as soon as I have more information.

JV

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It should be taken as a warning about copyright infringement here. I see copy and pastes every day that flirt with disaster. On the other hand, the JWs have targeted you as a nuisance. What a resume enhancer.

• wasblind
    wasblind

What about random qoutes taken from the literature ????

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Most quotes (if shown as quotes) are protected under fair use. I am very careful about quoting and use of graphics (most are public domain or CCC), so at this point I have no idea what the actual copyright complaint refers to. It may be something one of my secular clients put on their website. I just don't know. I am getting no help at all from my hosting company and they have the power to turn me back on. Looks like I will have to move after five years of excellent service and a great relationship. I won't put up with this more than once.

JV

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Wow Juan, you got their attention!!!!!!

You have moved up to the top of the apostate pile..to new "Most Wanted" status!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Perhaps it was Cedars "Getting to know you" series

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

shows they sure moniter the net don't it.

as far as the WT are concerned, quoting one sentance is enough to get them all wound up

perhaps you could host with a private company and get notified before hand? Costly i imagine though.

oz

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Fair use means, in part, that you can quote short sections. There is a copyright law. Pasting multiparagraphs is more likely to lead to copyright infringement. I notice how the New York Times and Huffington Post deal with copyright issues. Multiple paragraphs are not quoted. The work as a whole is summarized.

What happens here if not kosher.

Wikipedia has a decent fair use article. I see how the Times is constrained.

Still, I would think the Witnesses would shut down this site for the long quotes from WT literature.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Keep us all informed. Amazing that they can file these copyright infringement lines on puplicly distributed literature, but a disaffected JW cannot sue for libel if they are unwantingly disassociated.

What a mess.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I have just discovered the offending document. I have requested that the hosting company restore service so that I can remove it from one of my clients' sites.

I don't want to create any more problems at this point, but I can assure you that you will not be surprised at what caused the shutdown.

JV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit