Yahweh was a Cannanite god Ashtoreth his wife...before the Jews!! Unreal!

by Witness 007 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Well, speaking as a non-controversionalist here, I just watched a few of the BBC Youtube episodes as linked to above. Thought-provoking, for sure, and they have prompted me to go off and not only research the credentials of the presenter but review her material and sources. This is what we do as sentient and enquiring people, I think. Entirely different to what members of cults or high control organisations do, which is to 'lock down' at the forst sign of enemy invasion.

Just as an aside, I first joined this board a long time ago to seek more info about my JW neighbour. His name was 'Stavros'. The lady presenter of the youtube series incorporates 'stavra'. I often wondered about my JW neighbour, as he climbed the greasy pole of 'privileges' whether the name '

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

(post continued) 'Stavros' = meaning 'cross' would be a hindrance.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I thought Stavros was a Harry Enfield incarnation ?

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

That as well, of course, but 'Stavros/Stavra' is a common greek name - due, no doubt, to the influence of the GO church.

• undercover
  • Heaven
    Heaven

LOL @ undercover!

• mP
    mP

A very interesting scripture which shows us that Jehovah and Asherah were not enemies, but friends. In the text which you can read in full from the NWT, we have Elijah challenging some priests of Baal to see which god is real or seomting. Anyway Jehovah only zaps the priests of Baal and does not harm the priestess's of Asherah.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/1-kings/18

To this he said: “I have not brought ostracism upon Israel, but you and the house of your father have, because ? YOU ? men have left the commandments of Jehovah, and you went following the Ba′als. 19 And now send, collect together all Israel to me at Mount Car′mel and also the four hundred and fifty prophets of Ba′al and the four hundred prophets of the sacred pole, who are eating at the table of Jez′e?bel.” 20 And A′hab proceeded to send among all the sons of Israel and collect the prophets together at Mount Car′mel.

How exactly does one explain jehovah making an appearance and not destroying Asherah if he hates all pagans. No where in the text are the Asherah clergy comdemned, mocked or anything negative said, only Baal. We can see that Jehovah and Baal being both male warrior Gods are fighting to impress the female Asherah just like animals do.

Of course in the spirit of dishonesty the WTS has not translated 19 correctly to hide asherah. If you check most other bibles >sacred pole< is translated Asherah. The WTS tried to hide this obvious association, because it is unexcusable.

http://bible.cc/1_kings/18-19.htm

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)

New International Version (©1984)
    Now summon the people from all over Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. And bring the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel's table."

New Living Translation (©2007)
    Now summon all Israel to join me at Mount Carmel, along with the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of Asherah who are supported by Jezebel."

English Standard Version (©2001)
    Now therefore send and gather all Israel to me at Mount Carmel, and the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel’s table.”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    "Now then send and gather to me all Israel at Mount Carmel, together with 450 prophets of Baal and 400 prophets of the Asherah, who eat at Jezebel's table."

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
    Now summon all Israel to meet me at Mount Carmel, along with the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of Asherah who eat at Jezebel's table."

International Standard Version (©2012)
    So go gather all of Israel to meet me on Mount Carmel. Bring along 450 prophets of Baal and 400 prophets of the Asherah who are funded at Jezebel's expense."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel's table.

There are plenty of interesting books that discuss this.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

This is fascinating. I need to do some reading on this. I had no idea about those alternate translations saying Asherah.

• Satanus
    Satanus

This torpedoes the idea that god chose the jews as his special people and gave them a special religion and cheifly, that they should separate from the heathen goyim. That torpedoe continues on to cut through the christian exclusivism and secondarily, also the muslim. That's why this is important.

S

• oldregretfuljwx2
    oldregretfuljwx2

here are some of the sources I read about this at.

The Origins of Biblical Monotheism: Israel's Polytheistic Background and the Ugaritic Texts by Mark S. Smith

Only One God?: Monotheism in Ancient Israel and the Veneration of the Goddess Asherah by Bob Becking

Yahweh and the Gods and Goddesses of Canaan

John Day

Life without fretting and wasting energy to please some silent distant god is nice! Be free of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit