Yahweh was a Cannanite god Ashtoreth his wife...before the Jews!! Unreal!

by Witness 007 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

There are a few theories about that, another is that Baal as the son of El ( one of them at least) and that Ashthoreth was his consort.

Some say that Asherah was Yahwehs wife.

Some say El had two wives.

Some say that Asherah was first the wife of the creator-god named El. Later Baal acquired her as his wife.

Asherah is identified as the mother of gods and is the divine nurturer of the pantheon. Astarte, on the other hand, seems to be more closely identified with flocks and herds than the overall fertility of the region.

And so forth...

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Ba'al is simple a word that means lord or master. For a while, the Jews even called their god Ba'al until it became more popularly assciated with other Caananite gods like Ba'al Hadad, Ba'al Zabub, Ba'al Melqart, Ba'al Berith.

In fact, there is some evidence that the peoples of the Levant that eventually became the Israelites used Ba'al and Yaweh interchangably.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

USR, if you can't answer the question, just say so.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Some have suggested that Baal, like other gods of his time, were the "fallen ones", sons of God ( angels if you will) that rebelled and wanting to be worshipped as God was, made themsevles gods in the eyes of primitive ancient man.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Ba'al wasn't a particular god. It was a title. For instance, Ba'al Hadad was the god of heaven, Hadad was a holy name not to be spoken by any but the priests (sound familiar?), so he was often called simply Ba'al. Many other gods were referred to as Ba'al as well, depending upon region and who the local diety was.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

EP, yes, quite correct.

While it is possible that Baal started off as ONE god, the term seems to be used to name a few different gods ( or perhapos different views of the same one).

Baal-gad ( "lord of good fortune," Josh 11:17)
    Baal-hamon ( "lord of wealth," Song 8:11)
    Baal-hazor ( "Baal's village," 2 Sam 13:23)
    Baal-meon ( "lord of the dwelling," Num 32:38)
    Baal-peor ( "lord of the opening," Deut 4:3)
    Baal-tamar ( "lord of the palm tree," Judg 20:33), and others.

Ba'al-ze'bub was the form of the name of Baal who was worshiped at the Philistine city of Ekron. Baal, under this aspect of worship, was viewed as the producer of flies and therefore able to control this pest so common in the East..

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

ep: i cant speak for other believers, i was just stating that the looking down on is alot more with the atheist not all but some.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

i was just stating that the looking down on is alot more with the atheist not all but some.

That's the untrue part.

Now, can you answer my question or not?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

ep: i did not say there was untruth,my objection is that the atheist look down alot more,its misleading to thank belivers do it more,i have seen alot on here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit