The Common Ancestry Thread

by cantleave 271 Replies latest members adult

• jgnat
    jgnat

You might try the Language Instinct by Stephen Pinker, refried. He describes another evolutionary mystery, how we pick up language so fast. Sometimes our cells get a general message, like, "go forth and multiply", and they go fill the available space. Infants who are not exposed to language, won't pick it up. Those brain cells weren't stimulated so did not adapt to the task.

http://www.nature.com/news/job-swapping-makes-its-mark-on-honeybee-dna-1.11418

http://classes.yale.edu/fractals/CA/GA/GACircuit/GACircuit.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay8OMOsf6AQ

There is still much to unravel.

"Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end" - Mandelbrot

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hi refriedtruth,

As far as I know the evolution of this behaviour is unknown, but there are some theories. What we do know is that various stages of this behaviour are exhibited by different groups of eusocial bees. The bumble bee has a very simple way of communicating to other bees in the social group in a very simple behavioural change. Stingless bees send a signal to other bees to follow them. Dwarf honey bees have a somewhat intermediate dance, not as complex of their larger cousins but conveying more information than bumbles and stingless. This variety certainly shows a development in the behaviour.

There is a school of thought that this behaviour is as important for locating suitable nest sites as well as for locating food, and a few entymologists theorise that this may have been the original function of the dance and foraging feature was a subsequent adaptation of this. What is more certain is that this behaviour more than likely resulted as a response to the selective pressures imposed by direct competition, food resources and nest robbing.

I am about to read this 2011 I have just found. Hopefully I may learn something new. Thanks for asking the question.

http://labs.biology.ucsd.edu/nieh/papers/NiehEvolBeeComm2011.pdf

• tornapart
    tornapart

I just want to know out of interest if any of you have read the book 'the Myth of Junk DNA' by Jonathan Wells?

If I decide to read something by Richard Dawkins for instance I want to be able to read the other side of the argument too.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Junk DNA, is another misnomer as has already been discussed on this thread. Non-coding DNA is a more accurate term.

Read his book and I am sure that many of us would love hear your critique.

Dr. Wells is an interesting character, but from my POV his credibility was shot when he and Philip Johnson signed HIV - AIDS denial petition.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Well, I'm not sure you'll get to hear my critique, as I'm hopeless at debating anything! LOL It's really just for myself. I just want to feel that I can at least understand a little bit of what it's all about and come to my own conclusions.

I've been reading a few things and watching a few videos. Nothing that is promoting either view, just some factual stuff about how DNA and RNA work in cells etc... Once I've been able to comprehend that then I've got more of a chance to be able to understand what you're all saying.

By the way, this is a great thread and I'm actually enjoying it!

• cantleave
    cantleave

If you are going to read it, I suggest you also read Lawrence Moran's blog, he did a marvellous chapter by chapter rebuttal on the book.

http://sandwalk.blogspot.co.uk/

• cofty
    cofty

tornapart - If you look back to the early pages of this thread you will see that we all agree that the term "junk DNA" is unhelpful.

Our genome consists of about 3 billions base pairs and so far we know exactly what 60% of it is for.

1.5% codes for proteins

4% is regulatory DNA

10% is structural DNA - centromeres and telomers which compensate for a substandard copying mechanism

All of the above 15.5% is essential.

However......

21% are LINEs Long Interspersed Nuclear Elements (parasitic)

13% are SINEs Short Interspersed Nuclear Elements (parasitic)

8% are ERVs Endogenous RetroViruses (parasitic)

3% are DNA Transposons (jumping genes, also parasitic)

All of this 45% of our genome arose in our ancestors through various types of copying errors.

As I explained previously there are enzymes called "reverse transcriptase" and "integrase". These function like a "copy-and-paste" function in a word document.

Try copying a chunk of text from any file and then hold down Ctrl+V and seee how quickly the document gets very long.

Most other species also have lots of parasitic DNA in their genome. The onion Alium altyncolicum has double the DNA we do and a very similar species of onion Alium ursinum has TEN times as much.

There are species of rice that have bigger genomes than humans.

So is it OK to call this 45% junk? Well yes it probably is but with a proviso. It does provide raw material that future mutations may turn into useful code. I keep promising to write about our opsin genes which are a great example of this - I will soon.

The remaining 40% is currently unknown - its why geneticists get up for work on Monday mornings. Some of what remains will no doubt have functions and some of it may be other forms of parasitic DNA.

Jonathan Wells is a Moony - his studies were sponsored by Rev Moon specifically for the purpose of attacking evolution for purely theological - in this case cultish - reasons.

His book will provide lots of examples interesting functions of parts of our genome whose function was previously unknown and he will try to give you the impression that therefore all non-functional DNA has a purpose. For all the reasons I have explained above and more - it doesn't. We know precisely how the "bloat code" originated and it was not put there by any designer.

If you look back to my posts about transposons LINEs and SINEs you will see how they in fact provide very powerful evidence of common ancestry.

• cofty
    cofty

cantleave thanks for the link to Laurence Moran's blog - excellent!

• tornapart
    tornapart

At the moment I'm also in the middle of reading Gentile Times Reconsidered, so I've got to be careful I don't get information overload! I just feel like now I've mentally broken free of the WT and I want to know everything and read everything!!

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Just read about 6 pages of this. Fascinating stuff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit