Do the GB 2.0 Travel First Class? What Do You Know About That?

by Scott77 35 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pirata
    pirata

Two Governing Body members visited my area in the past few years. Guy Pierce carpooled with a local family during his visit; David Splane mentioned in his talk that Governing Body members fly economy class, which gives them opportunities to preach to people they sit beside.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...I found the Poetzingers very kind and I quickly sorted out the Bethelites at my congregation who had no time for us nobody single sisters..."
    blondie

blondie's mention of single sisters as being neglected with no one paying them much needed loving care and 'attention' raises a profound and disturbing question as to the caring nature of those supposedly 'christian men'. Is their fault for being single in the first place? I think, its a great irony that a cult group religion that glorify singleness as being a virtue at the sametime, overtly discriminates those who accept this status. It defeats my understanding why those sisters cannot see this reality?

Scott77

• Eustace
    Eustace

Are you kidding with question?

Yes. Just trying to point out that they'd rather make the JWs going door to door look stupid with these flimsy magazines than cut down on their own perks.

At the very least cutting the size of the Watchtowers and Awakes in half is quite a risk. They need fresh converts to survive, given how all the Pioneers are too busy Pioneering to have children, leaving the next generation of JWs to be spawned and raised by the lukewarm class.

A 16 page WT is half as likely to have a article that catches the householders eye. A 16 page Awake printed on light cheap paper is much less likely to convey an aura of success to the householder than a 32 pager would.

They always tell the JWs to dress up nice while going door to door, because on some level they understand the importance of conveying an aura of success to potential converts, but I think they really dropped the ball on this halving of the magazines thing.

But maybe it won't have much of an effect. We'll have to wait for the 2013 report in about a year, I guess, assuming it isn't so desultory they scrap it.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I had a few family members who liked to give 0000"green handshakes" to some of the older governing Body members. Of course THEY had an open door at Bethel and called a few members by their first names "Teddy". "Nate" (never me..I was a poor kid) People are people and everyone loves a brown noser...I love my dog...and he is a HUGE brown noser.

Years ago we had these two elders in our section of the circuit who were always trying to get assembly parts etc. SUPER DUPER , DUPER brown nosers who INSISTED on nothing but the best for visiting Bethel mucketey mucks....with the circuits $$....... Resistance was futile....against the Borg.

They claimed if we didn't "go first class" they might not come from NYC........

• bottleofwater
    bottleofwater

Two Governing Body members visited my area in the past few years. Guy Pierce carpooled with a local family during his visit; David Splane mentioned in his talk that Governing Body members fly economy class, which gives them opportunities to preach to people they sit beside.

Why mention it? Pharisees?

• mP
    mP

FLying first class to a boring convention etc seems like a pretty bad deal either way. Id rather go out than sit thru one of those, not to mention the endless conusultations about local problems.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I would be shocked if they did not travel in Business/First Class.

I'm not sure of which travel company(s) they now use or how the tickets are purchased, but even a company much smaller than the Society gets perks and benefits. Let's face it, the Society is purchasing hundreds if not thousands of airline tickets each year. That's in additional to hotels, ground transportation, etc etc. The fact that someone else is paying or reimbursing the travel costs does not change the fact that the Society is the purchaser.

When making the reservation, putting in the Society's Corporate Travel Number and specifying that this is one of the "biggies" of the organization, it doesn't take much more than a "wink, wink" to get moved to the top of the upgrade list. While technically purchasing a lower priced ticket, the person has a very high probability of getting upgraded. The person booking the ticket just has to check the upgrade availability and select a fight with better availability.

For example, a flight from New York to London (or Los Angeles, Tokyo, or pick your own city) at 5:00 PM may have only 3 seats available in Business Class. The flight an hour later at 6:00 PM may have 12 seat available. The "capable wife booking agent" will simply book the 6:00 PM flight. The chance for the upgrade increased dramatically.

In this way, a lower priced ticket is purchased, the airline knows this is a "biggie" from the organization and every attempt will be made to upgrade the person. It's just good business practice. An empty seat in Business Class does not bring in more revenue. An upgrade to Business Class can build more brand loyalty.

Rub a Dub

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

+1 to RubaDub.

I'd be shocked if the WTS PAYS for any Business/First class airfare, even for the GB members. But given how often and how far they fly, I'd be equally shocked if they hadn't built up enough FF/air miles to just get the upgrade automatically; they'd have to be completely stupid if they hadn't. Plus, as RubaDub pointed out, any halfway competent travel agent will be able to at least get them on the short-list for upgrades.

R_O

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...I'd be equally shocked if they hadn't built up enough FF/air miles to just get the upgrade automatically..."
    respectful_observer

Your view on that is very interesting.

Scott77

• AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

They are Jesus Christ's Apostles on Earth, they deserve the finest things possible. It's a honor to donate "time shares" in Aspen, Colorado or Martha's Vineyard homes as other witnesses have done. We are honoring Jehovah's priest on earth, why is flying First Class a issue?

I have a Bible Brother S. Lett signed while we toured Bethel. It's one of my most prized positions, how many sisters have a personal copy of the Bible signed by one of God's Apostles? I wish I had brother Fred Franz's autograph or brother Bar, they might be worth something some day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit