who are your favorite preachers? here a few of mine!

by unstopableravens 132 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LV101
    LV101

Anyone familiar with the famous preacher by the name of Moody? I've heard his name mentioned --- seems to be quite respected. He might be the one that inspired Billy Graham at an auditorium in England.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

moody preached the gospel hardcore, he did alot of good things.

• LV101
    LV101

unstop --- good to know and thanks.

• watson
  • designs
    designs

DD- Yes many within the christian faiths began to make a stand against slavery no thanks to Jesus or Paul of course. Humanity itself and the philosophers who spoke against slavery began to break these religions down and slowly the abolishtionist movement gained the upper hand. The Methodists, who by the time of the Civil War were the largest Protestant denomination, were deeply divided over the issue of slavery with the pro-slavery preachers holding their Bibles high and finding full support in the scriptures for slavery.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Dear Mr. designs

Maybe the slumber that the WT put you and so many on this board in, has blinded you to what the real Jesus did to end slavery for millions. Dr. M L King certainly DID hear the Good News, as he reminded so many about how God told Moses to free thousands of slaves held captive in Egypt.

Please allow me offer the story of one freed slave named Tisquantum. I bring him up because he lived many years before your hero Tom Paine. It is believed that Tisquantum was born on January 1 (happy New Year by the way) sometime between 1585 and 1592. He was known as Squanto to many, and was a member of the Patuxet tribe or band of people, called the Wampanoag who were native to an area we know today as Plymouth, Mass.

Sometime around 1614 an evil man named Thomas Hunt kidnapped Tisquantum to sell him into slavery for £20 or about $30.00 today, when some Christians found out about this evil deed, and bought Tisquantum’s freedom. They taught him about how Christ had come to set the captive free and save them from sin and shame. Some years later in 1620 Tisquantum was able to return home, where he found that all his people had died the year before.

Not long after Tisquantum returned home, a group of English speaking people came to that very place looking for freedom themselves, where they met a native American who spoke almost perfect English. These people arrived with very few of the skills or supplies they would need to survive. Tisquantum for whatever reason loved these people and was devoted to helping them. He served them as a translator/interpreter and ambassador to the other surrounding native villages. He also taught them how to farm the land and how to hunt for food.

In 1622 Tisquantum became very sick, and shortly before his death it is said that he pleaded with the Governor to pray for him, that he might go to the Englishman's God in heaven, and left many of his earthly things with his English friends, to remember him by. His friends saw his death as a great loss.

So my friend, you can stay a slave to your bitterness toward the God of the bible if you like, because of the abuse you suffered at the hands of the WT, who like the wicked servant in Matthew 18, who showed no mercy or compassion, (I get it, I understand,) or you can simply accept the freedom that comes from Christ. It costs nothing, it’s free. There is no cult, church, or religion who can take that freedom away or separate you from the love of God.

Have a great New Year!

• LV101
    LV101

DeputyDog --- thanks for sharing. Great account. I'd heard similar (perhaps the same one long ago) but not this much info or too long ago to recall.

• designs
    designs

DD- I have read the story of Tisquantum and it is a touching story. It does nothing to offset the multitude of problems in the Gospels and the Epistles of Paul. Jesus of Nazareth was not the Messiah or even a messiah, he lied about the Jews and betrayed them and then he died and that was that.

Preachers of this 'Christ' have been sucking people dry with emotive stories for 20 centuries now. Real change to human social and cultural evolution came from breaking from these old traditions. We have the opportunity and priviledge to make this world better for those living now and for future generations. that is what needs to be pursued by each of us. Belief in the words of your God that your Jesus will Return and wipe-out humanity or belief that we participate with nature for a sustainable future, that's the choice. If your Jesus ever decides to return we will teach him in all sincerity the ways of Peace.

Join us as we celebrate one of our victories this Feb.1-3, our environmental group san clemente green.org will host this 3 day Event on the closure of San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant. We may have literally saved millions of lives.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

designs

"Real change to human social and cultural evolution came from breaking from these old traditions."

The facts seem to show just the opposite. The fact is Christ didn't invent slavery neither did Christians, the practice of enslaving people was around long before Jesus arrived, and decreased afterward over time. Like it or not Christ is still changing the world for the better.

Also in areas where Christians are forced out, slavery and oppression increase. Look at the middle east and Africa for example.

You're something. You blame Christians for humanity's problems as if the rest of humanity have none.

"We may have literally saved millions of lives."

You still sound like the WT. You are your own messiah.

Just a couple of questions.

How will you save MILLIONS of lives, when San Clemente only has about 65,000 people, Orange county only has 3 million total? How will you "save" 2/3 of the population in that area?

How about all the lives lost down wind from the coal fired power plants that make up for the power drain on the rest of the grid? Your god is cruel and uncaring.

• designs
    designs

Judaism went through its first Age of Enlightenment after their release from Babylon and slavery began to wane in Jewish communities. People who follow something along the lines of the Golden Rule should have better families and communities. Jesus did not invent the Golden Rule. I do not blame christianity for all of humanities social ills there are plenty of dictatorships and religious run countries subjugating their people. Christianity has just run its course like Kings and Queens have run their course and new democracies are replacing them, but we are still centuries away from being rid of religion altogether..

Shutting down a dangerous nuclear power plant is not being any kind of messiah just a good citizen. Contamination levels are high, accident reporting was falsified by coersion from managers, and the sea wall has eroded to allow a tidal wave to enter the Reactors like the tragedy of Fukushima. Coal fired plants are on their way out. Through my other environmental group, Surfrider Foundation, we logged over 40 victories in 2012 for the Environment and all of us who benefit from Nature.

I am constantly impressed by the young people we get to our Environmental Events, High School to College age, who volunteer their time for our Beach Cleanups. We invite anyone to come and help out, occaisionally church groups come and join in because they know they can't wait for some mystery person to solve the earths problems we must do it ourselves.

'The Earth Is What We All Have In Common' W. Berry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit