Single Malt Whiskey. A preference?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 22 Replies latest jw friends

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I am not a drinker but I hear single malt whiskeys are good.

Yesterday at the liquor store, I asked a nice man, who also was looking over the bottle display, if he could tell me which one does he prefer and why. One of the store clerks, came by, listening, and said she preferred the same bottle.

I bought the one they preferred:

Glenmorangie. Highland single malt Scotch whiskey. 12 years old.

It says they use sauternes casks.

Does anyone have any experience with single malt?

My daughter & I are invited out, for this evening, "7:30, drinks, dessert, fireplace, livingroom, a "few friends" are coming".

We were invited over to these same peoples place for dinner in October. We brought home made dinner rolls, and home made pecan pies.

Now we are invited over for tonight. I probably would have bought a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Creme or a Maderia or Port, but the shelves were bare.

Could some of you comment on this for me please. I live on the West coast. Just coming up 5 o'clock.

Thank you. Just Lois

• designs
    designs

Thorne's

• cantleave
    cantleave

Balvenie a rather gorgeous Speyside single malt!

Mmmmm!

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Do your hosts especially enjoy scotch?

I am very much a single malt guy. The glenmorangie you mentioned is delicious. If you're looking in that price range, a nice Bruichladdich or Macallans is also a nice choice. The Macallan 12 being my personal fave. Yum. Sipping a nice sherry cask single malt is one of my favourite things to do.

Most people's tastes are less likely to enjoy a smokier scotch, like a lagavulin.

I could go on for days...

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi and thank you for your comments.

As far as I know, they are not really "drinkers". They are worldly people from Glasgow, Scotland. Emmigrated less than 10 years ago.

It is 6:30 right now, one hour to go before it is party-time.

Unless anyone says otherwise, I will wrap up said bottle and present it to my hostess.

I feel awkward.

Just Lois

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

RELAX.... Tell them as you walk in and hand it to them that this was highly recommended by the guy at the liqour store and that you'd really like for a malt whiskey lover to let you know their thoughts! You'll be FINE!

• tinker
    tinker

Can't imagine a more lovely host gift than a 12yr Glenmorangie. Coincidentlly I am sipping a wee dram now but the port cask matured. If they are Scots they should be delighted with the compliment. My post is late so I hope you are enjoying a nip right now. It should be poured neat, observe the color, swirl it and smell, inhale the flavors. You should smell notes of smoke, tobacco and salt with a little sweetness from the sautern. Taste it and swish is all over your mouth before you swallow, even chew it a bit. Then add a few drops of water and look to see the 'serpent' in the glass as the water mixes with the alcohol. Called 'releasing the serpent' sometimes it is better with water, sometimes not.

Ok this is only if you want an interesting prolonged scotch experience. You can also pour is over ice and just Enjoy. Goes great with pecan pie, IMO. Before, during and After dinner.

If you are new to single malts but would like to explore I recommend the Glenlivet Nadurra. Very smooth like velvet. I prefer more smoky/peaty drink but the Nadurra is a good place to start. These are ALL very dear $$ to buy so don't you dare add a mixer or I'll kill ya!

If you are ever in Seattle stop into Whisky Bar. They offer several dozen hard to find whiskys. I like to try a new one each time to cross off my list.

Slainte mhath = Cheers and Good Health

• AnonJW
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

There are no bad single malts. Some will not be to an individual's taste. I do not like some that taste a bit like iodine.

I do like The Macallan a 12 year old, or even better a special one that is 21 ? bit of a haze for some reason as to the exact age. As it is aged in old sherry casks it is sweeter than some malts.

Another fave of mine is Lochnavar (spelling?) it comes from the distillery close to Balmoral , the royal residence, itis very easy on the palate.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

If you are new to single malts then I would start with ones from Speyside. These have much less of a strong smokey, peaty taste and often are sweeter than some of their more hard core cousins. Cantleave's Balvenie recommendation is a really good one. A lowland whisky such as Auchentoshan is another mild, easy drinking one.

Me.. Talisker, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Jura, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie are all faves but I will drink pretty much all of them. No ice, no water though. Absolute no no!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit