Do People Believe We Are Condemned B/c of Adam and Eve?

by Band on the Run 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I find the notion that we inheirited sin through Adam and Eve to be a quaint, silly notion. If you believe in the power of God, why would God create such a flawed creation? Few people believe the stories in Genesis. We can't go out an rape, pillage, burn, and enslave unbelievers b/c God did it in the Old Testament. The story makes some sense in symbolic terms. I don't believe the people believed it literally.

Does an infant have free will? Furthermore, how does one reconcile free will and the concept of the elect? Adam was alone. There was no civilization. Perhaps Adam derives from ancient memories of evolution when Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens both lived. His brain was probably limited compared to our brains today. Original sin does not show up in the genetic code.

Evidence shows that these stories were commissioned after Israel was a nation-state. There are proabbly Canaanite elements in them. Was the earlier human truly Jewish? Science finds otherwise. No, original sin is a concept and not a biological fact. Genetic mutations are a fact. Some people are born severely mentally challenged, do they have original sin.

Besides, Christians should believe in the salvation of Christ. The world is transformed by Christ -- if you have faith. Why be ignorant? When not believed literally, these stories still have resonance. The writers of scripture did not understand blood or flesh the way we do today. Deeper concepts are possible when not read literally. Christians do not have to be stupid. We can be informed.

• designs
    designs

According to Pauline thought Christianity rests on the literal interpretation of Adam and Eve and Original Sin. This is where Paul differs from Judaism, sorry we tried to help but he was more stubborn than Freddie Franz.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The idea that we are condemned is part of legend and fable.

We die of old age like every living creature and plant on the planet. Such is the cycle of life.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If you believe in the power of God, why would God create such a flawed creation?

Although I don't support a literal interpretation of the Adam and Even fable, you are wrong in that they should be considered flawed creations even within the confines of the story. The story was written to show the dilemma of free will and does so extremely well. Free will isn't flawed, it's just a process that involves suffering and death. Basically you are mistaken in that assigning free will to creation is some sort of failing on God's part. Here we are however many years into Project: Human and we are still going strong. We exist in the middle of a trail of tears, but the ends always justify the means.

In your opinion, Band, was humanity worth starting?

-Sab

• xchange
    xchange

I'd hate to think that based on my actions as a parent*, that my future lineage would suffer unfathomable suffering because I was a rebel at ONE point in time.

*Disclaimer: Not a real parent in the real world in any real sense.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have no clue as to whether humanity was worthy starting. What is more important to me is I am human and I am here presently. I will not be here in the future. This is the fate of all living creatures. Some say death makes life worthwile.

There are many species besides humans on this planet. We are very human-centric. Do you recall in the Star Trek film with the whales that the aliens thought the whales far more worthy of contact. As a dog lover, I hope they are resurrected, too. I would grant the same to cat lovers. We live in an ecosystem.

I believe free will is a human concept to explain suffering. It has been a long while since I read Hindu or Buddhist scriptures. I am curious as to theri take on free will. Personally, I reject YHWH completely. Christ is how my culture interprets the sacred. The West has made a big mistake by emphasizing the Jewish scriptures over all others. Common themes flow in all mainstream religions. Do you realize what a teeny country Israel was? It is cultural ignorance to believe they have a monopoly on truth. Our ignorance of how other cultures view free will and creation is apparent in me. Despite an interest, I have no idea what they teach. I like to see myself as a citizen of earth.

C.S. Lewis wrote an entire science fiction series about how other planets might deal with Christian themes.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

you are forgeting one huge part, rev 13;8 jesus was the lamb before adam even existed he was already the sacrifice, prepared before creation. not only did god know what would happen it was his plan for jesus to redem mankind.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

if god knows the future, there is no free will. if god doesn't know the future, then he isn't god.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Precisely, EP. It is silly to believe every statement in the Bible is literal. We don't believe the ancient stories of other peoples were true. I do find universal values in the Bible. John of Patmos was one Christian writer, opposed to Pauline theology. His genre must be considered. There are dozens of scriptures that could have been canonized. There was much dispute as to whether Revelation should be included. Many prominent early Christian fathers adamantly opposed its inclusion.

The Bible was not written by God. The process was as much political as religious. It is not a magic book. These people were not even our ancestors. Historical, political, and economic circumstances led European countries to become Christian. I find the stories and theology instructive. It is the record of how my culture wrestled with the human condition.

My faith increased when I realize the Bible was not inerrant. Blind faith is not informative, IMO.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

free will is freedom to choose ,but no one on there own would choose god, unless they are drawn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit