Who did jesus look like, his mom or his dad?

by Honeybucket 95 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tiki
    tiki

dear shamus....some of them are pretty bad................he wasn't a brad pitt type either............

• shamus100
    shamus100

>:O MOCKERY!!!

Why is everyone mocking these days? My widdow feewings are hurt... come hug me!!!

• shamus100
  • caliber
    caliber

Caliber there was no virgin birth. The earliest gospel, Mark doesn't even bother to mention it. The author of Matthew invents the idea based on a mistranslation of the Septuagint.

What is this mistranslation pray tell ?

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

How could he have a Y chromosome? Where did it come from?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The church teaches that Jesus was fully human and fully God. How could he fully human with only one human parent? I've attended many a church sermon addressing the doubts of Nazarenes as to Jesus' parentage and Mary's virginity. If he bore a resemblance to anyone besides Joseph, she may been stoned and the "father" also stoned. Is it essential to Christian doctrine that Jesus had one half of human DNA? I don't see how he could be fully human with only one human parent. Could not the God of so many miracles work in a non-magical way? Joseph is an obvious answer. I don't know.

Believing in the virgin Mary makes Jesus spooky. His physicality is so important. I can see God working through science, not against it.

I wonder how many first century Christians believed in a literal virgin birth. It sounds as though Christianity was importing pagan beliefs about virgin births.

Christians debate this to this very day. We can pick and choose. There is nothing wrong with seeing Christianity merge into a more Gentile view of the world. If all those OT prophecies were indeed fulfilled during Jesus' life, every knee on earth should have been bent. Miracles make good PR.

We will most likely never know. There are so many things to wonder about. The people of Jesus' day did not have so many scriptures. Also, I don't see how Jewish Christians could have believed what we call Christianity. The God of Jewish belief is not the God of the New Testament. Paul spoke of the folly of the Cross/Torture Stake? This is not the type of messiah that was expected.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The English language changes. I was surprised to hear this nugget. When the English Bible says Jesus was perfect, they do not mean without any human flaw. The older meaning was perfect was complete. Jesus was complete. I was so used to the KH notion of perfect. No one could have been stronger, more handsome, more wise.

This is not what was meant. Besides, if Jesus were, every human would worship Him. Notions of beauty have changed greatly. Fat women were considered beautiful at one time. Look at a Titian. I confess to an interest in European royalty. Look at the portraits of famous European royal women, such as Lucrezia Borgia, and then read contemporary comments concerning these women. I am always stunned at what men in that time found exquisite. It is not what is Vogue or Sports Illustrated today.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The latest I heard that the shroud does not date from the first century. There still seems to be debate about how the image was transferred. Besides, even if the cloth dates from the first centuries, the Romans crucified thousands of humans. The Roman Catholic Church and its indvidual churches knew how pilgrims would visit sites of relics. A legend is not much to verify.

Part of me hoped that it was real. The Church does not allow conclusive tests if I recall. Scientists only had very small fragments.

Some mystery is nice.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Ask EP he knows how to ferret out BS

Depending your version of nerddom, I either felt a disturbance in the force, someone calling me across space and time, received the message on the emergency subspace channel or it showed up on psychic paper

• still thinking
    still thinking

yet here you folks are. Not a word... until I post. Really, are your lives SO sad, SO reclusive, SO... senseless and meaningless... that you TRULY have nothing better to do than "stalk" me? ...Aguest

LOL...actually...I posted BEFORE you...are YOU stalking me?...LMAO!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit