DIY laundry soap

by Satanus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

A search for the best laundry soap turned up that it was tide. Tide is very expensive, though. An alternate is to make your own. It's very cheap to do, and is supposed to be really good. Here is the recipe.

'Thumbs up Duggars Laundry soap recipe:

TIPS FOR LAUNDRY SOAP: We use Fels-Naptha bar soap in the homemade soap recipes, but you can use Ivory, Sunlight, Kirk's Hardwater Castile or Zote bars. Don't use heavily perfumed soaps. We buy Fels-Naptha by the case from our local grocer or online. Washing Soda and Borax can normally be found on the laundry or cleaning aisle. Recipe cost approx. $2.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups hot tap water
    1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
    1 Cup Washing Soda
    ½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

Powdered Laundry Detergent- Top load machine

1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
    1 Cup Washing Soda
    ½ Cup Borax

-Grate soap or break into pieces and process in a food processor until powdered. Mix all ingredients. For light load, use 1 Tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 Tablespoons. Yields: 3 Cups detergent. (Approx. 40 loads)

------------------

Inexpensive Fabric Softener Recipes

Recipe #1
    1 Cup White Vinegar
    Add vinegar to rinse cycle. Works great. Removes residue and odors. Also helps to keep washing machine and hoses fresh and clean too.

Recipe #2

1 Container of Name Brand Fabric Softener
    4 Inexpensive sponges, cut in half

Pour entire container of softener into a 5 gallon bucket. Fill empty softener container with water twice. (2 parts water to 1 part softener) Add sponges to softener/water mixture. When ready to use wring out extra mixture from one sponge and add to the dryer as you would a dryer sheet.

---------------

Homemade Washing Soda
    Homemade washing soda. Note the graininess.
    Compare to the baking soda picture below.
    Washing soda, also known as soda ash or sodium carbonate has many uses, from acting as pH stabilizer in pools to acting as a water softener to removing calcification in water heaters to making lye pretzels. Washing soda is a beneficial item to have around the house, especially if you want to make homemade laundry detergent, as it is one of the main ingredients. However, washing soda isn't always so easy to come across (especially if you're living in a far out place like I do).

Homemade Washing Soda
    Ingredients
    Baking Soda

Instructions
    1. Fill a wide baking dish with baking soda.
    2. Heat in the oven at 400 degrees until all the baking soda becomes washing soda. Occasionally mix it so that this process happens faster and more uniformly.
    3. Use as needed!

See- told you it was simple! 1 ingredient. 1 step.

The difference between baking soda and washing soda is water and carbon dioxide. Seriously. Baking soda's chemical makeup is NaHCO3 (1 sodium, 1 hydrogen, one carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). Washing soda's chemical makeup is Na2CO3 (2 sodium, 1 carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). When baking soda is heated up to high temperatures, it breaks down to become washing soda, water steam, and carbon dioxide.
    By cooking your baking soda, you can easily and safely get washing soda without needing to travel to far flung places to buy it, and you can make as much as you need at a time and don't need to lay out a lot of money on buying washing soda. (If you buy baking soda in bulk as I do, you can make washing soda especially cheaply.)

Baking soda on the left, washing soda on the right
    So how do you know if your baking soda became washing soda? Baking soda and washing soda look different, feel different, and taste different. If you make your own washing soda, you'll be able to tell in an instant which baking soda has become washing soda and which has not yet.
    But if you don't believe me that you'll know immediately, the differences between the two are this:
    Washing soda is grainy, baking soda is powdery.
    Washing soda is dull and opaque, baking soda is crystalized like salt and reflects light, i.e. it is semi shiny.
    Washing soda is separate grains, baking soda clumps together.
    ----------

W the end of the world just passing us by a day ago, it's good to know stuff like this.

S

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Cool, good to know.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Youre welcome, jonesey:)

S

• designs
    designs

Great, now all I need is a stream with some flat rocks.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A washboard is easier.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

SATANUS, thanks for the great tips. I will make some of that in the new year. I have to buy unscented washing products due to allergic rashes from the scented stuff and it gets pricey. With these suggestions I can control what ingredients are in the soap and save money. Thx again, Leslie

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I've used this recipe. It makes a lot of detergent. It worked great in my front loading washer, minimal sudsing. It cleaned my clothes really well, I was impressed. We kept it in a big spackling bucket and transferred it to a laundry bottle as needed. You do need to stir the mixture up every time you transfer to the smaller bottle, as it settles. Also, give your laundry bottle a shake before pouring out the detergent, just to mix it back up again.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

This thread is gonna make me watch Fight Club tonight. Good topic though, very imformative.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Designs

Why bother? Bo prolly don't bother where you're at, anyhow;)

nute

Welocme, babe.

S

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Thanks Satanus! The recipe does work, I've made it before and the thing I like about it (Besides the cheap cost) is that it isn't loaded with perfume. I literally gag when I use perfume scented laundry soap, it is just waaaay too strong. This recipe also can make a nice gift for someone who likes to try different things, and all you have to do is put the home made soap into a nice decorative container for gift giving.

The soap is also good for those with sensitive skin, as it doesn't leave the residue that some of the stronger commercial soaps can leave behind on clothes.

Have you ever heard of Soap Berries? I bought some at a craft fair several years back, and they actually work! They don't get sudsy like normal soap does, but there is some type of chemical in them that cleans the clothes. Below is a website that talks about them.

Soap Berries

Take care, and have a great Holiday!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit