Do You Take Flu Shots?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

No. I do not take a flu shot. The last time I did was when I was a teen and my mom succumbed to the panic being spread about the Hong Kong flu epidemic.

I usually do not get the flu - but if I do, it is no worse than those people who do take the flu shots.

• jgnat
    jgnat

james_woods, you might just be a veritable Typhoid Mary.

I checked out the Influenza Surveillance Network and it appears that there is only a 5-6 month lag on the most likely strains.

http://www.influenzacentre.org/centre_GISN.htm

• james_woods
    james_woods

Five to six months lag? Nobody gets a flu shot more than once a year...and the question is whether they picked the correct strains that year.

All I am saying is that I understand how it works and what they are trying to do - but that I am somewhat skeptical.

• minimus
    minimus

Nobody gets shoulder flu either.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

My insurance has a significant deductable that can be satisfied without paying by doing a handful of certain activities, one of which is getting the flu shot. If not for that deductable I'd probably disregard the flu shot.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

No, nor anyone else in my family. My kids and I rarely get colds and none if us have had the flu.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I have it every year. I used not to, but a few years ago I was very ill, so now I do.

My oldest daughter got swine flu right at the beginning of that outbreak. She'd been on a train journey, and we reckoned she'd caught it like that. She was incredibly ill, nearly died, and that left me in no doubt.

Last year, I had no ill effects from the flu jab. This year, I got a bit poorly afterwards, and for about a week it was like a mild dose of flu. I'd rather have that than be really ill.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My sister is a family physician, minimus. I ran through the typical flu symptoms, and afterwards I couldn't raise my arm. It took several years to recover.

• minimus
    minimus

I don't disbelieve you, gnat. I just never heard of that.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Some times the flu mutates and the vaccine is not as effective, but I heard that this year, the vaccine is spot on. I had to go to the doctor for something else, and they pretty much forced me to get it. I got sick earlier and I think I already got this flu, but just in case, I let them do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit